2021/22 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah you’d think that with penalties being a possibility Benitez would’ve had his list for the whole squad best to worst realistically and tbf the first load all scored.
I’d probably put Iwobi not taking a pen down to him being a poor striker of a football rather than his own bottle.

Manager had no faith in him to score a penalty, yet he still thought it would be acceptable to put him actually up front for the last half an hour in the last two games, bizarre.

Pass success rate of 75%, won just 22.2% of defensive duels winning only 2 all night and surrendered possession 13 times losing the ball every 3 touches.

Should be forced to do the walk of shame along with his repeat offending team mates.

Manager had no faith in him to score a penalty, yet he still thought it would be acceptable to put him actually up front for the last half an hour in the last two games, bizarre.

Shows Benitez up, so called top manager.

Iwobi needs to be got rid of, January please.

Yeah you’d think that with penalties being a possibility Benitez would’ve had his list for the whole squad best to worst realistically and tbf the first load all scored.
I’d probably put Iwobi not taking a pen down to him being a poor striker of a football rather than his own bottle.

.….very surprised at the order they went & Iwobi is certainly a cleaner striker of the ball than a few who took one.

I can only think they were all asked who fancied taking one, seemed Holgate was down somebody’s ear as soon as they gathered after the final whistle.

Personally, I want my best ones starting off as you can be out of it after 3. In this instance it worked out but I’d much prefer to nominate the main group of penalty takers ahead of the match so they all know in advance.

I suppose there is a possibility Iwobi had an injury issue but other than that I can’t understand why he wouldn’t take one.

Reel off 10 worse signings?
Im genuinely intrigued.

Before I do that, I'll add some context - Iwobi might (ok, I'm stretching it) contribute yet. I think you can't really judge whether he belongs on this sort of list unless you've got some hindsight - every one of the players below is either retired or won't kick a ball for us again.

He's getting minutes this season, he's not really ever given us any bad press and despite what the eyes tell us, he's still a fairly creative player as far as what the stats suggest.

In terms of value, he's been here 2 years, we could probably still sell him (albeit at a loss) and he allegedly doesn't earn (unusually for us) unreasonable money.

We've had loads and loads of players down the years who were utterly dreadful. As far as "ability" goes, he's nowhere near the ten worst players ever to play for us. You can make an argument that for the fee we paid vs the return we've got so far, he deserves to be in the conversation, but for the reasons above he wouldn't make my list.

So...

Oumar Niasse - At the time the 2nd most expensive signing we'd ever made, genuinely a case to be made that he isn't actually a professional footballer. Ended up giving him away for free. Hasn't played a professional game of football since.
Alex Nyarko - At the time our joint 2nd most expensive signing ever. Not sure much needs to be added on this one. Still amazing that we gave him a 5 year deal when work permits at the time could not be issued for longer than 4 years.
Slaven Bilic - Makes the list because of the "value" element. At the time we signed him he was the 2nd most expensive transfer in our history and the 2nd most expensive defender ever in world football. Wasn't a bad player, but a disaster of a signing - managed 3 red cards in 30 games for us and we ended up paying him to leave after 2 years
Cenk Tosun - Similar cost in terms of transfer fee to Iwobi, but he will be leaving on a free transfer at the end of his contract (a contract described by Marcel Brands as "expensive") having scored (as a striker) a grand total of 9 goals for Everton in 4 and a half years.
Gylfi Sigurdsson - I'll choose my words carefully on this one, but let's just say that he's our most expensive ever signing. We will be releasing him at the end of his contract, his contribution on the pitch has been somewhere between underwhelming and okay, but the value we've had from him and other issues give him a place in my ten.
Claus Thomsen - This one is purely on the basis of ability. I'm 40 so I can't go back to the likes of Bernie the Bolt or Alan Biley and speak with any authority on the subjects, but Thomsen is one of a few who stand out to me in my era because of just how bad they were.
Brett Angell - See Claus Thomsen.
Yannick Bolasie - Expensive transfer fee, big wages, was an Everton player for 5 years, played less than 30 games and, even when he was fit, he wasn't doing anything more than Iwobi is doing right now. Oh yeah, to continue the theme - had to give him away for free in the end.
Ashley Williams - There's a theme of signing players and them being so overpaid and crap that we have to give them away for free at the end of their contracts. Williams is another one of them. Also makes the list (because it's my list) because he was, for some reason, properly dislikeable as well as being overpaid and crap.
Morgan Schneiderlin - Joins a shortlist of only two players I can remember seeing in a blue shirt who I think I could genuinely accuse of not trying. To add to the theme - big transfer fee, big wages, slow, crap and wasn't arsed. By some miracle we managed to get a small transfer fee for him though so he almost didn't make my ten from the criteria above for most of them - the fact I think there's a case to be made for saying he genuinely didn't try at times though gives him a walk onto the list.

And there you go - I spent far too long on that. I wouldn't say there's no chance Iwobi will never make this list, but he'd have to be equally crap for the rest of his contract here and us to eventually need to give him away before I thought he was worthy of consideration.

Before I do that, I'll add some context - Iwobi might (ok, I'm stretching it) contribute yet. I think you can't really judge whether he belongs on this sort of list unless you've got some hindsight - every one of the players below is either retired or won't kick a ball for us again.

He's getting minutes this season, he's not really ever given us any bad press and despite what the eyes tell us, he's still a fairly creative player as far as what the stats suggest.

In terms of value, he's been here 2 years, we could probably still sell him (albeit at a loss) and he allegedly doesn't earn (unusually for us) unreasonable money.

We've had loads and loads of players down the years who were utterly dreadful. As far as "ability" goes, he's nowhere near the ten worst players ever to play for us. You can make an argument that for the fee we paid vs the return we've got so far, he deserves to be in the conversation, but for the reasons above he wouldn't make my list.

So...

Oumar Niasse - At the time the 2nd most expensive signing we'd ever made, genuinely a case to be made that he isn't actually a professional footballer. Ended up giving him away for free. Hasn't played a professional game of football since.
Alex Nyarko - At the time our joint 2nd most expensive signing ever. Not sure much needs to be added on this one. Still amazing that we gave him a 5 year deal when work permits at the time could not be issued for longer than 4 years.
Slaven Bilic - Makes the list because of the "value" element. At the time we signed him he was the 2nd most expensive transfer in our history and the 2nd most expensive defender ever in world football. Wasn't a bad player, but a disaster of a signing - managed 3 red cards in 30 games for us and we ended up paying him to leave after 2 years
Cenk Tosun - Similar cost in terms of transfer fee to Iwobi, but he will be leaving on a free transfer at the end of his contract (a contract described by Marcel Brands as "expensive") having scored (as a striker) a grand total of 9 goals for Everton in 4 and a half years.
Gylfi Sigurdsson - I'll choose my words carefully on this one, but let's just say that he's our most expensive ever signing. We will be releasing him at the end of his contract, his contribution on the pitch has been somewhere between underwhelming and okay, but the value we've had from him and other issues give him a place in my ten.
Claus Thomsen - This one is purely on the basis of ability. I'm 40 so I can't go back to the likes of Bernie the Bolt or Alan Biley and speak with any authority on the subjects, but Thomsen is one of a few who stand out to me in my era because of just how bad they were.
Yannick Bolasie - Expensive transfer fee, big wages, was an Everton player for 5 years, played less than 30 games and, even when he was fit, he wasn't doing anything more than Iwobi is doing right now. Oh yeah, to continue the theme - had to give him away for free in the end.
Ashley Williams - There's a theme of signing players and them being so overpaid and crap that we have to give them away for free at the end of their contracts. Williams is another one of them. Also makes the list (because it's my list) because he was, for some reason, properly dislikeable as well as being overpaid and crap.
Morgan Schneiderlin - Joins a shortlist of only two players I can remember seeing in a blue shirt who I think I could genuinely accuse of not trying. To add to the theme - big transfer fee, big wages, slow, crap and wasn't arsed. By some miracle we managed to get a small transfer fee for him though so he almost didn't make my ten from the criteria above for most of them - the fact I think there's a case to be made for saying he genuinely didn't try at times though gives him a walk onto the list.

And there you go - I spent far too long on that. I wouldn't say there's no chance Iwobi will never make this list, but he'd have to be equally crap for the rest of his contract here and us to eventually need to give him away before I thought he was worthy of consideration.

Theres a few there i would question. Not as poor signings but as comparison to the fraud iwobi.
But you put so much work into that im not going to. Fair play.

So...

I’d only have Schnederlin ahead of him on that list. Yes, the likes of Bilic, Tosun, Bolasie, Williams we’re terrible signings but they weren’t obviously terrible signings at the time. Did I think we’d overpaid and could have got better, yes but could I predict at the time they would fall as spectacularly short as they did? No.

Iwobi is up there for worst ever signings because it was obvious at the time he wasn’t what we needed, was a last second panic with no thought at all gone into it, was massively overpriced and simply wasn’t good enough. It was all so predictable and yet someone paid millions of pounds a year still went out and decided to waste 30 odd million quid. That makes it right up there as one of our worst ever signings. Shockingly bad.

I’d only have Schnederlin ahead of him on that list. Yes, the likes of Bilic, Tosun, Bolasie, Williams we’re terrible signings but they weren’t obviously terrible signings at the time. Did I think we’d overpaid and could have got better, yes but could I predict at the time they would fall as spectacularly short as they did? No.

Iwobi is up there for worst ever signings because it was obvious at the time he wasn’t what we needed, was a last second panic with no thought at all gone into it, was massively overpriced and simply wasn’t good enough. It was all so predictable and yet someone paid millions of pounds a year still went out and decided to waste 30 odd million quid. That makes it right up there as one of our worst ever signings. Shockingly bad.
He makes Per Kroldrup look like the best footballer ever! Thanks to Brands we are stuck with this paper weight for his current and probably extended contract haha

Status
Not open for further replies.