2022/23 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still think his calling is right wing back
Could very well be, he needs to play in straight lines. He does often play where we have a hole to fill, rather than where he might play best.

He’s played a shedload of PL games now under a lot of managers. Bouncing around positions is mentioned as the curse of being super versatile and it how it must be really valuable to manager. Pat on the back. But to me it’s always more of a symptom of players never excelling in any position and making it their own in the 20 years since they joined an academy.

I dislike him a lot less than some of our squad.

We had the slowest, least mobile midfield in the league. Against that backdrop, the fact he can move quicker than a snail and has more stamina than an asthmatic chain smoker, did mean he excelled and brought something we didn’t have in the middle of the pitch.

An excellent centre midfielder though, no, never. We’ve looked a lot better with the midfield three of Onana, Gana and Doucoure.
I think he'd have done a better job than Gana or Onana in there this season.

Could very well be, he needs to play in straight lines. He does often play where we have a hole to fill, rather than where he might play best.

He’s played a shedload of PL games now under a lot of managers. Bouncing around positions is mentioned as the curse of being super versatile and it how it must be really valuable to manager. Pat on the back. But to me it’s always more of a symptom of players never excelling in any position and making it their own in the 20 years since they joined an academy.

I dislike him a lot less than some of our squad.

This is true. But the problem he has is...he's not a good winger. You can find better central midfielders/attacking midfielders. Both upgrades can be found cheaper too.

Fullback he'd shine and get regular game time IMO in most teams in the prem. Just don't think he'd want to do that.

His engine can get him up and down. Plenty of space to run into and put crosses, can support and get in the box. And defensively he's okay.

End of the day, defending as a fullback isn't a priority.

As an experienced pro he should be a big character out there for us, but he gives us nothing in that department. The effort is there but the personality and the talent to make something happen isn't.

Everton should've been his chance to step up in his career but he has failed miserably.

Fantastic today according to his manager. Very weird, not even a confidence building comment as he was happy to say some others performed poorly.

Loved the way he woke up and ran himself stupid last year. But we are crap and we are his level. Might well be weighing up his options (so will we be given his salary, not all on him, no point signing him up to go down), but what well run team in any of Europe’s top divisions needs someone of his age that no manager has ever played in the position he thinks is his best position.

Status
Not open for further replies.