Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2022/23 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it isn't, I don't care on this one.

And the reason I don't is because Evertonians have this ongoing lie where many say they will support bad players who try. But it never actually works like that, people only care when the player trying is actually decent. Which isn't wrong or anything, but the dishonesty about it means I can't trust an evaluation where a player who is playing better is doing so because of effort. Sorry about it.
McNeil has been utter rubbish, but he gained praise the other day for putting in the effort.

Its quite simple, his social media has gone from posting bling to posting about his foundation, the lad has switched back on to football.

You have this image in your head where the reason Iwobi wasnt playing well is down to nasty Everton, despite him getting vilified and dropped from Nigeria.

Also, you cant label me an Evertonian, we arent a race, we are individual people with our own thoughts.
Sometimes, in a moment of reflection, I ponder if my long held belief that judging a player from TV is night and day from judging a player from a seat in the ground, is wrong.

Then on a slow Tuesday afternoon pottering around on here, I realise that in fact, I am still correct.
Its firmly my belief that people have vastly better views on the TV.

Being at the ground means you see other things, that arent shown on the TV, but TV for me still gives people a better view.

Most weeks I have to watch things on TV when I get home for them to make sense, but that might be more to do with my failing eyesight.

Sometimes, in a moment of reflection, I ponder if my long held belief that judging a player from TV is night and day from judging a player from a seat in the ground, is wrong.

Then on a slow Tuesday afternoon pottering around on here, I realise that in fact, I am still correct.
View in the ground is absolutely terrible tbf. Unless you sit in the balcony or maybe Upper Bullens you're missing the whole picture of a match. You may get better views of details but you'll completely miss others.

McNeil has been utter rubbish, but he gained praise the other day for putting in the effort.

Its quite simple, his social media has gone from posting bling to posting about his foundation, the lad has switched back on to football.

You have this image in your head where the reason Iwobi wasnt playing well is down to nasty Everton, despite him getting vilified and dropped from Nigeria.

Also, you cant label me an Evertonian, we arent a race, we are individual people with our own thoughts.

Being at the ground means you see other things, that arent shown on the TV, but TV for me still gives people a better view.

Most weeks I have to watch things on TV when I get home for them to make sense, but that might be more to do with my failing eyesight.
McNeil is not getting praise mate, by and large.

But anyway.

Long live this current version of Alex Iwobi, as try as I might, I cant fault him, would like to see him getting more goals, but thats unfair with how deep hes sitting, maybe the inclusion of Gana will free him from his shackles, but probably Onana will be the 1 to "step out" more.

View in the ground is absolutely terrible tbf. Unless you sit in the balcony or maybe Upper Bullens you're missing the whole picture of a match. You may get better views of details but you'll completely miss others.

Maybe it can be. But trust me, most on here will agree; watching a game at a ground, then watching the same game back on TV whilst not chalk and cheese, the game just seems different on TV.

Being at a live gig, then seeing a version of it on TV is the only thing I can think of as another example. And its not football; its any sport.

But we have ploughed this furrow before. The player has improved.

Maybe it can be. But trust me, most on here will agree; watching a game at a ground, then watching the same game back on TV whilst not chalk and cheese, the game just seems different on TV.

Being at a live gig, then seeing a version of it on TV is the only thing I can think of as another example. And its not football; its any sport.

The game is different, those watching from a fixed camera with the ability to see more of the field clearly will have a better understanding of the match generally. I'm not going to tiptoe around it anymore. It's why you get people seeing that Iwobi could improve long before it happens.

Its great that you trust in your opinion so strongly.

But listen, saying IM RIGHT, YOU ARE WRONG, is never a good look.

But hey, its great that hes finally decided to show up and earn his money, lets hope he maintains it at after his pay rise.

Historically players normally do not.

Lets not forget that he was dropped by Nigeria in this timeframe of him lacking effort.
You'd think he'd just take a victory lap now that his special little soldier is the toast of the forum (I'd even be willing to overlook the fact that he's actually been calling Iwobi a no.10), but no. It's never enough.

He now expects people to believe that Alexander the Gr8 has in fact been covering every blade of grass the whole time, but that only his eye was discerning enough to see it.

But anyway.

Long live this current version of Alex Iwobi, as try as I might, I cant fault him, would like to see him getting more goals, but thats unfair with how deep hes sitting, maybe the inclusion of Gana will free him from his shackles, but probably Onana will be the 1 to "step out" more.
Heat maps for Onana after Gueye came in the other day suggest you're right mate, his positioning changed massively to both 'central channels' final third where he was popping up time after time. Dunno how it changed Iwobis if at all though so only half the picture.

Gueyes heat map funnily enough looked massively close to Onanas first 60 btw

The game is different, those watching from a fixed camera with the ability to see more of the field clearly will have a better understanding of the match generally. I'm not going to tiptoe around it anymore. It's why you get people seeing that Iwobi could improve long before it happens.

Maybe. But nothing gets close to seeing any sport live, for a fuller picture.

Watch a player in the flesh gives a far better understanding of the player.
His movement off the ball, his desire to chase back, making runs where the ball doesn’t come to him - but was still a good run. All of these are lost with a focus on the ball that tv gives.
You need to understand football a bit to appreciate it.
Tv gives better close ups of skills on the ball, you obviously replay from every angle of shots and tackles. But you can’t beat watching live for a perspective of good a player is

But you never admitted he was bad before now mate.

All through his tough times you said the same thing "Hes good, you all cant see it", that was the line you trotted out.

For you now to admit he was bad is quite eye-opening.

His movement off the ball, his desire to chase back, making runs where the ball doesn’t come to him - but was still a good run. All of these are lost with a focus on the ball that tv gives.
Tv gives better close ups of skills on the ball, you obviously replay from every angle of shots and tackles. But you can’t beat watching live for a perspective of good a player is
I suppose if I was watching a player, but I dont generally watch A player at the game.

But I agree, I can see the people off camera, how hard they are working to get back for example.

Id be on board with you mate, defo live. TV is frustrating, you only see a % of the bigger picture, particularly off the ball, systemically and positionally. Its good for replays mind.

Unless you're a scout sent to evaluate a specific player, a relative of the player or stuck in one corner behind a pillar so he's all you can see - then I find it very weird you're watching one player rather than following the game which means where the ball is mate.

Exactly the same as you do on TV only with a way worse view.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back