2021/22 Allan

Status
Not open for further replies.

He really had to do the job of about 3 players with Schneids and Sigg in the same team didnt he
Imagine him with Allan and Doucoure though. Monstrous.
He would win so many balls upfield too. Having DOUCS and Gray offering him runs would have been nuts for us on the counter.

Think he's better suited cleaning up in the middle of 3 CM. I'm happy with Doucoure one side just need someone who can do a similiar job the other. If he is allowed to dictate play from that deep position he will be an asset. His lack of goals doesn't bother me I measure my DM on tackles won and successful forward passes. He is capable of being very good at both. Needs to win us the ball and then when he receives it in space be able to move us forward.

Think he's better suited cleaning up in the middle of 3 CM. I'm happy with Doucoure one side just need someone who can do a similiar job the other. If he is allowed to dictate play from that deep position he will be an asset. His lack of goals doesn't bother me I measure my DM on tackles won and successful forward passes. He is capable of being very good at both. Needs to win us the ball and then when he receives it in space be able to move us forward.
I agree with this. I think Allan and Doucoure, but with a tricky 'David Silva' ball playing type. We still really lack someone with the killer pass in midfield.

Gomes should have been that player, but his athleticism and tenacity is not premier league quality, particularly post injury.

Watching Palace last night, I think that Gallagher plays a lot like Doucoure is this season. Pressing high up but covering deeper defensive positions when needed, quick, never lets their man go, strong in the tackle, makes runs into the box, gets involved in the build up and pops up with the occasional goal.
I don't know if you could really play with two players that similar though.

I agree with this. I think Allan and Doucoure, but with a tricky 'David Silva' ball playing type. We still really lack someone with the killer pass in midfield.

Gomes should have been that player, but his athleticism and tenacity is not premier league quality, particularly post injury.

Watching Palace last night, I think that Gallagher plays a lot like Doucoure is this season. Pressing high up but covering deeper defensive positions when needed, quick, never lets their man go, strong in the tackle, makes runs into the box, gets involved in the build up and pops up with the occasional goal.
I don't know if you could really play with two players that similar though.

Yeah probably does have to have more skill and passing ability but importantly needs to be able to play as an 8 in a 2 if we change to 4-2-3-1. More De Bruyne than Silva maybe. Obviously not on that level but more pace than Gomes. If Gbamin ever gets fit he will be the man to give Allan a breather. He has a slightly different skillset but can also play that holding role.

I think the way we are a little bit more compact this season suits him - the spaces between midfield and defence are usually smaller and his slight lack of pace isn't exposed like it was at times last season

Gana was excellent for us, but he was never great with the ball. Allan isn't quite as good at winning the ball back as Gueye was, but he's much better with the ball at his feet.

Benitez has, quite quickly, managed to set the team up to get much more out of both Doucoure and Allan. It's encouraging. Last season, despite the odd impressive performance from either of them, the shape of our midfield was a mess at times, as was the spaces between it and our defence. This season it all looks much more cohesive and our centre mids both look far better as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.