Ambition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueblue

Player Valuation: £60m
Several times in recent years I have had the feeling that we were beginning to show the ambition that was needed to get us challenging for a top six or even a top four position in the league. The arrival of Farhad Moshiri has undoubtedly taken us forward and the development of the new ground( although smaller than hoped for) is certainly a welcome development.

We have spent a lot of money on player signings and taken in a lot of money from players sales and at the moment I am not sure of the exact quality within the squad going forward although there are several young talented players there.

However, at the moment when I look at Everton I cannot help but feel we are a midtable club and that is where we will stay for the foreseeable future.

When you look at the clubs that seem to be dominating the league and Europe also there seems to be one common factor...… the manager.

These clubs first brought in the manager they wanted and then let them build their squad(Guardiola, Klopp, Pochettino) whereas we seem to have ambition when signing players but not when appointing managers.

At present I fear we are a mid table club with a mid table manager who has a top six club budget.

I wonder what others would think is needed for us to move to a position where we can be a top four/six club again.

Top Manager is what we need.

Spurs and Liverpool wouldnt be where they are without Poch and Klopp.

Can spend all the money in the world but if the players aint coached well and have the worst set piece record in the league and have no plan B you'll never progress.

Moshiri should be asked the question would he buy an expensive house but let alot of unqualified cowboys renovate it - as thats what he has done with EFC.

Can spend all the money in the world but if the players aint coached well and have the worst set piece record in the league and have no plan B you'll never progress.

Moshiri should be asked the question would he buy an expensive house but let alot of unqualified cowboys renovate it - as thats what he has done with EFC.

They still might be good builders though. Just because they don't turn up to you house on a horse shouting yee-haa. Just saying :coffee:

Without Moyes, who despite his limitations was clearly the right man at the right cash-strapped (apart from the arteta lawnmowers) time, we'd have been lower table or a relegation club.

Since then we have had the money to show our ambition, but not the wisdom. Eventually we hired some wisdom in the shape of Brands and now need time to re-fit the club from being poverty stricken, to shambles, to mid table, to consistently top 4, to winning everything on show.

So mid table is about right. As per nano I can't say I'm satisfied with it, but its realistic at the moment and we're going the right way.

Agree and with the amount we've spent hiring and firing managers we could have gotten in a top one. Silva is nowhere near good enough, as much as i have detested Mouriniho and his arrogance i think he could be the right man for the job he's a huge name and has a track record of winning things, punt Silva and get in Jose.

I'm all for appointing the best manager we can at a given time and think our manager search and hire process in the PL era has been badly flawed, with us paying a heavy price.

Brands must improve on it, with no interference from upstairs who are more inclined to take an uneducated punt in the hope of hitting the jackpot.

But we are not going to hire within the top bracket, simple as. Comparisons with RS and Chelsea in that respect are not relevant. We can pay top dollar so that isn't an issue. If we even got an ounce of encouragement from a top name manager, we would have been all over it.

So we take a chance, and all appointments are a gamble anyway, but we minimise the risk through the proper process.

Spurs had no guarantee that Pochettino would work out as well as he has for them, he only had Southampton and Espanyol on his CV. I'm inclined to think Moshiri saw Silva in the same light, but with what research was that opinion formed or was it just another foreign PL manager who had earned himself a bit of limelight for no particular reason?

Several times in recent years I have had the feeling that we were beginning to show the ambition that was needed to get us challenging for a top six or even a top four position in the league. The arrival of Farhad Moshiri has undoubtedly taken us forward and the development of the new ground( although smaller than hoped for) is certainly a welcome development.

We have spent a lot of money on player signings and taken in a lot of money from players sales and at the moment I am not sure of the exact quality within the squad going forward although there are several young talented players there.

However, at the moment when I look at Everton I cannot help but feel we are a midtable club and that is where we will stay for the foreseeable future.

When you look at the clubs that seem to be dominating the league and Europe also there seems to be one common factor...… the manager.

These clubs first brought in the manager they wanted and then let them build their squad(Guardiola, Klopp, Pochettino) whereas we seem to have ambition when signing players but not when appointing managers.

At present I fear we are a mid table club with a mid table manager who has a top six club budget.

I wonder what others would think is needed for us to move to a position where we can be a top four/six club again.

...Manchester City, Liverpool and Spurs went through a range of managers before appointing the right one. It is about appointing the right manager (and DoF), but that is a really difficult challenge.

I think we have to hit the jackpot with our manager like Poch to move forward, We could easily attract 95% of managers who play in Europa league imo due to the manager having a decent amount of money to spend on players which most managers like to do. We don't have the pulling power for the elite managers like Mourinho and managers of that ilk.
Silva has gotten one of the most exciting teams Everton have ever assembled since I've supported the club and we're some how heading backwards.
I think Moshiri wants a young upcoming manager to lead the team into the new stadium and Silva was a huge chance he'd shown glimpses of good work at Watford and Hull but the gamble has failed and I can't see him taking us to greater heights.

Credit where credit is due, the club recruited well during Brand's first summer.

However, we have since returned to ignoring January transfer windows because they involve a bit of hard work, and finishing the summer transfer window without acquiring essential squad improvements, such as that of a centre back, much like Koeman and Walsh did with the centre forward position in summer 2017. We aren't hoing to get anywhere if we carry on like that.

Add a crap manager into the mix and we're on the road to nowhere.

Last edited:
I agree with the principle but I certainly don't agree that it's just the manager. You say we're being ambitious signing players but we're not really are we? We're spending more money, but we're signing the same type of player we always were, just more of them.

Iwobi and Delph, top 6 players that are no longer wanted, Gomes a player who's lost his way and did pretty well on loan for us without really tearing up any trees, Sidibe a loan for a player that his club no longer wants and was being hawked around the league, Gbamin a player who may well turn out to be very good but wasn't exactly coveted, and Lossl a free transfer from a relegated club. All of those are in the same bracket that we were signing 10 years ago. Kean is the only signing we made this summer that hints at ambition, and that's a long term signing rather than one supposed to catapult us into the elite. We didn't sign or replace Zouma, and lost Gana who was arguably our best/most important player. You'd be very hard pressed to say that this years squad is better than last years, and that squad came 8th. I don't see where the ambition is there.

Silva is a midtable manager managing midtable players, that's why we're midtable.

...Manchester City, Liverpool and Spurs went through a range of managers before appointing the right one. It is about appointing the right manager (and DoF), but that is a really difficult challenge.
They certainly did and it took them some time to get it right but even then I think they showed more ambition in their choices, it was just the choices were not right at that time.
I was not in favour of the appointment of Marco Silva purely because of his history in management which is average at best. I was happy to support when he was appointed and while he is Everton manager I will keep hoping that he can get the team to recover and get us to shoot up the league.

But, in all honesty after watching us play this season I just cannot see that happening.
Sitting in the stand last Saturday watching us not having a clue how to play against a modest Sheff. Utd side was a most disappointing day not only because of the result but mostly because of the performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.