Anders Limpar !!

Side still had Southall in it too. Watson, Parkinson (sad the injuries robbed his career) Unsworth, Hinchcliffe and Ferguson, Speed as well from memory.

Probably the time we really needed somebody to put in investment.

Just imagine a midfield four of this now though....

Limpar - Speed - Parkinson - Kanchelskis.

Compared to

McNeil - Garner - Gueye - Harrison.

Now I feel sad
Yes under Royle from Christmas 95 to Christmas 96 only Man Utd got more points, the start of 95/96 and finish to 96/97 was were it fell away, early 95/96 we were unlucky with injuries and missed out Europe because arsenal got a late goal. And if I remember correctly, we lost 3 players to bad injuries against leeds around Christmas, Parkinson, grant and hinchcliffe and then Kanchelskis leaving in tbe March and Royle getting sacked.

But we played some brilliant football and yet you still here the dogs of war nonsense, the 7-1 v Southampton, battered Liverpool a couple of times home and away but of course both ended in draws, 2-0 up at Utd till very late on and a goal in Fergie time got them a draw

Shouldn’t have been sold when he was. Could have been an impact player off the bench. I think Royle sold Barry Horne a year too early too.

He had big gambling debts to some nasty people mate, so he needed the money to pay them off.

Same reason that he left Man U to join us.

If you remember, his signing to us just came out nowhere, no rumours, no nothing, it just came completely out of the blue.

We had two players sent off. Ferguson and Samways after absolutely cruising to a 2-0 win with some great football. Samways played extremely well before his sending off.

Samways was a strange one, as he went from being a proper playmaker, to a full on hardman in the middle almost overnight - he continued in that role for the rest of his career too.

Something deffo went on between him and Royal, as he hardly played again after the sending off and got sold pretty soon after too.

Just rushing out to get a new cabinet for our next forum award.
C8B7EAtXQAQkd4e

pic of aaron lennon with cabinet.

Last edited:
He had big gambling debts to some nasty people mate, so he needed the money to pay them off.

Same reason that he left Man U to join us.

If you remember, his signing to us just came out nowhere, no rumours, no nothing, it just came completely out of the blue.

I was talking about Limpar mate not Andrei

Yes under Royle from Christmas 95 to Christmas 96 only Man Utd got more points, the start of 95/96 and finish to 96/97 was were it fell away, early 95/96 we were unlucky with injuries and missed out Europe because arsenal got a late goal. And if I remember correctly, we lost 3 players to bad injuries against leeds around Christmas, Parkinson, grant and hinchcliffe and then Kanchelskis leaving in tbe March and Royle getting sacked.

But we played some brilliant football and yet you still here the dogs of war nonsense, the 7-1 v Southampton, battered Liverpool a couple of times home and away but of course both ended in draws, 2-0 up at Utd till very late on and a goal in Fergie time got them a draw

I always felt the dogs of war thing was a Royle thing as a response to the pretty serious group of injuries we picked up, plus he always understood like Kendall before him that Everton needed both grit AND flair to its side - think every since has never fully understood that actually - Carlo would have given a bit more time, maybe did already.

The 5-2 away at Sheffield Wednesday, the 4-1 rout of spurs in the semi final as well mate.

I always felt the dogs of war thing was a Royle thing as a response to the pretty serious group of injuries we picked up, plus he always understood like Kendall before him that Everton needed both grit AND flair to its side - think every since has never fully understood that actually - Carlo would have given a bit more time, maybe did already.

The 5-2 away at Sheffield Wednesday, the 4-1 rout of spurs in the semi final as well mate.
Yes the semi final was a brilliant performance, Parkinson was so good in that game, the pen
They got was never a pen and it was the only goal we conceded. And Joe’s great quote after to the media, Sorry about your dream final.
Spurs were media darlings then,
With all thier attacking players,
Like Klinsmann and they had a couple of Romanians who’d done well at the 94 World Cup

We threw so many points away from home games and winning positions in the year limpar and kanchelskis played together, I remember beating Wimbledon 2-1 with 15 minutes left and losing 4-2, being 2 up against Coventry and drawing 2-2. Liverpool equalised in the 87th minute at goodison aswell.

I did the legends tour of Goodison last year and it had a Q&A with him and Graham Stuart at the end, turns out Limpar was an Everton fan growing up back in Sweden which is why he made the, maybe unorthodox, switch from London and Arsenal up north to Everton

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back