2021/22 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it?

I think most of us said at the time that he'd never be the same player following that

I could list countless players that suffered horrific injuries and it had a long term effect on them for the rest of their careers

I can list countless players who broke bones and came back exactly the same player. It’s not an injury that usually has lasting impacts on players abilities like a serious muscle injury. Yeah it looks weird when your ankle is turned the other way, but the fact of the matter is he was back playing in Premier League games 8 weeks on from that injury. People don’t like acknowledging this and pretend he was out for 12 months instead.

In a midfield that is set up in a particular way he could be very good.
We simply don't have the players or the resources to build a team that can have him in it.
Not a bad player but Everton at the moment is not a good fit for him.

What is that particular way? The fella was a laughing stock at Barcelona playing with Busquets and Iniesta too by the way.

I mean, DCL just recently talked about how an injury effected him mentally and how he struggled to deal with it

He scored a goal to keep us in the PL though so I guess we'll actually be empathetic to his situation whilst it's open season on Gomes?

Fair enough

DCL was out for months and months and struggled to regain fitness, I think that’s the mental struggle he’s referring to tbh.

Was that early on the season when we could of gone top if we won? We got beat 2-0 and villa scored in the last minute?
That was the game, give him his due in that game, whoever passed the ball to him they got it back immediately no matter how close they were to him, he just didn’t want the ball, there was one spell near the touch line when the ball went backwards and sideways between Gomes and two other Everton players at least eight times and we never progressed an inch and he stayed practically on the same spot!!

DCL was out for months and months a as I’d struggled to regain fitness, I think that’s the mental struggle he’s referring to tbh.

Just think it's a bit rum to be so dismissive of potential mental health effects of suffering as horrific an injury as Gomes had is all

You're allowed to struggle with mental health, even if you make a lot of money

There's no guarantee that such an issue has played a key role in Gomes going off a cliff performance wise of course, but it would be churlish to disregard it entirely and I certainly don't think the possibility should be made light of

Just think it's a bit rum to be so dismissive of potential mental health effects of suffering as horrific an injury as Gomes had is all

You're allowed to struggle with mental health, even if you make a lot of money

There's no guarantee that such an issue has played a key role in Gomes going off a cliff performance wise of course, but it would be churlish to disregard it entirely and I certainly don't think the possibility should be made light of

I’m not dismissing it, I just watch him play and I don’t see a significantly worse player than before. He was always slow of body and mind, unproductive and an average passer, which is why Barcelona bombed him out.

Without any exaggeration I will tell you that his performance away at Villa before he got injured was worse than ANYTHING he has served up since, and probably in the top 5 worst individual performances i've ever seen from an Everton player. And I saw each and every one of Cuco Martina's games for us.
Yes I recall that with clarity. It was like he was on stilts for the entire game. It was well, well below the threshold that sees someone get subbed after 30 minutes and that's what should have happened.

That was the game, give him his due in that game, whoever passed the ball to him they got it back immediately no matter how close they were to him, he just didn’t want the ball, there was one spell near the touch line when the ball went backwards and sideways between Gomes and two other Everton players at least eight times and we never progressed an inch and he stayed practically on the same spot!!
I flew home from South America and got my mate to pick me up at Manchester airport then drove straight to villa park for that!! That’s why it always sticks in my mind

Without any exaggeration I will tell you that his performance away at Villa before he got injured was worse than ANYTHING he has served up since, and probably in the top 5 worst individual performances i've ever seen from an Everton player. And I saw each and every one of Cuco Martina's games for us.

Totally agree ;)

2nd half of that 1st season he had a few shockers...it was either after a year adapting he'd kick on another level.

Or be inconsistent. I was ok with £18mil max really but didnt really want him...but amazed some would have paid £30-40mil.

Sale of 10m I can imagine plus us paying 40% of his wages until end of season. Probably net us about 7m.

Thats the issue...we could give him away but FFP hurts us on the transfer fee.

Then we get to shift the wages on but no one will match them.

Nightmare.

Status
Not open for further replies.