2023/24 Andre Gomes

The good thing about him isn't just his first touch and passing, but how he finds spaces and maintains possession while under pressure.
He has to start the rest of our games as - with Garner - he's our only MF who can consistently pass to a team mate.

That said, I'd rest him versus Liverpool. I think we need a bit more bite in MF in a derby, so I'd start Garner or Onana over him.

He has to start the rest of our games as - with Garner - he's our only MF who can consistently pass to a team mate.

That said, I'd rest him versus Liverpool. I think we need a bit more bite in MF in a derby, so I'd start Garner or Onana over him.

I'd move Garner right back and pack that central area with Gueye, Doucoure and Warrington (though it'll be Onana before he's given a game)

We have to simply stifle that area of the field, sit deep so they can't play over the top and absolutely frustrate the crap out of them

Effective except for his set pieces.

That’s a big “except.” though.
That's always curable by having someone else take them.

I'm always skeptical of contract year performance when it's been preceded by rubbish. The player often reverts to form. He's also a thirty year-old mid.

I think we thank him for his service and let him walk. If he turns into a worldbeater for a couple of years, so be it. It's not a good dice roll on Prem wages, from where we sit.

I'd move Garner right back and pack that central area with Gueye, Doucoure and Warrington (though it'll be Onana before he's given a game)

We have to simply stifle that area of the field, sit deep so they can't play over the top and absolutely frustrate the crap out of them

Basically we're in a good position to sit and hold, given we're almost out of jail ourselves, we don't need to push forward. Set Liverpool the challenge of breaking us down. And, yeah, we cant chance playing Young again. The officials will be spoiling themselves to hand a pen against him and he's just not good enough. Been calling for Garner at RB for ages myself.

Basically we're in a good position to sit and hold, given we're almost out of jail ourselves, we don't need to push forward. Set Liverpool the challenge of breaking us down. And, yeah, we cant chance playing Young again. The officials will be spoiling themselves to hand a pen against him and he's just not good enough. Been calling for Garner at RB for ages myself.

I want to see Klopp frothing at the mouth at the end of Wednesday night, crying because we didn't roll over for them.

A nice 1-0 win for us or a 0-0/1-1 draw.

Never play a pl game…

Not in this lifetime or the next should anyone be thinking of offering him a 1 year deal on lower terms, unless the terms you think he might accept is 5/10k a week.

I'm all for him finishing on a high and then waving him off into the sunset at the end of the season.
Trouble is, with the financial ‘rules’ being what they are, the club might see it as being a safer bet to keep him on with a lower wage than see him go for nothing and have to pay for a replacement.

I say ‘the club’ but that makes us sound like there’s someone actually in charge. It’ll be Dyche and Kev deciding it over a post-match Stella and a scotch egg.