Anichebe On Target For Reserves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cal

Player Valuation: £40m
Everton Reserves were edged out 2-1 by Sheffield United at Chesterfield's Saltergate ground.

The Blues were a touch unlucky to lose the game that was played in awful conditions on Tuesday evening.

Youngster Dean Oliver gave the Blades the lead just after the hour with a smart finish inside the Everton box, only for Victor Anichebe to equalise with ten minutes remaining.

But the Yorkshire side secured the win thanks to a sensational strike from Leigh Bromby with three minutes left.

There was really high tempo to the game in the first half with no quarter given or asked by either side, and some strong challenges flying in all over the pitch.

Making only his second appearance in an Everton jersey, Anderson de Silva had a well struck shot on 12 minutes saved by Sheffield United keeper Paul Gerrard. Then, a few minutes later, a superb turn by James Vaughan gave the Blues striker sufficient space to curl a shot goalwards - but it just wasn't high enough to beat Gerrard.

The Blades had their moments too in an entertaining opening period.

Egyptian Ahmed Fathi pulled a low drive narrowly wide midway through the half and so did Nicky Law from just outside the box.

Then, back at the other end, de Silva headed a well flighted Gary Naysmith free-kick just off target.

Before the break Scott Phelan was yellow carded following a challenge on the tricky United centre forward Christian Nade. The booking means Phelan now faces a one-match ban after accruing five cautions this term.

de Silva looked really lively during the opening exchanges of the second period as the Brazilian skillfully earned half a yard before firing a fierce shot over the bar. Then on 55 minutes, he crashed a spectacular volley towards the goal that Gerrard did well to touch over.

United hit back though, and Nade hit the post with an angled shot before Oliver gave them a 62nd minute lead when he pounced on a loose ball in the penalty area.

Former Everton midfielder Li Tie played an hour for the Blades before being replaced.

And not long after the goal, Chris Morgan should have made it two when he headed wide from close range.

With 12 minutes to go, Kieran Agard replaced the injured Vaughan and within seconds he linked up well with John Paul Kissock on the right-hand side before delivering an accurate cross from which Anichebe tapped in the equaliser.

The Blades' winning goal came three minutes from time and was an absolute cracker.

Nicky Law swung in a corner from the left and his delivery was met by an unstoppable volley from Bromby.

Unluggs :(

Good to see Agard scoring, He seems to be a decent prospect?

Its worrying that our reserves and academy teams can't seem to compete with the other teams they play, is that due to a small first team squad and therefore less "experienced" players in the reserve team?

We got agard from man ure. i believe they let him go.

that isnt always a bad thing, they have let the odd good player go in the past (savage, dublin) I saw him at warrington town, and i didnt think he stood out, but that game was quite literally the John Paul Kissock show.

Its worrying that our reserves and academy teams can't seem to compete with the other teams they play, is that due to a small first team squad and therefore less "experienced" players in the reserve team?
I think that is a trend in recent years. I remember reserve teams being made up of people like Naysmith, Wright, Stubbs, older players or players who were genuinely fighting for a game in the side, along with a couple of younger ones trying to make the breakthrough.

But now, our reserve side appears to be our Youth side, apart from this particular game where there were quite a few genuine 1st team contenders playing, and our Youth side appears to have an average age of 12. Which may be no bad thing really. They are getting quite a lot of experience (if they would play more matches it would be better) against tougher opposition.

But take a look at this Reserve teamsheet from the match previous (Bolton Res in December) and tell me who is actually a genuine reserve:
* Ruddy
* Densmore
* Molyneux
* Irving
* Hughes
* Phelan
* Connor
* Vidarsson
* Agard
* Kissock
* Kearney

Agard set up Anichebe.

We signed Kieran from Arsenal academy just over a year ago, featuring for the reserve team on a regular basis now and makes a huge impact coming on as a substitute.

Status
Not open for further replies.