2021/22 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just make sure everyone dosent turn on him as soon as he has a bad run like they did with Barkley and Davies.
Barkley was always hugely over-rated by fans imo and has Davis ever had a good run? he has had the odd good game here and there but overall he seems to have gone backwards in terms of development. I have lot's of time for Tom and love his unique personality which is away from a lot of other players, but the fact is that he just is a really bang average football player.

Barkley was always hugely over-rated by fans imo and has Davis ever had a good run? he has had the odd good game here and there but overall he seems to have gone backwards in terms of development. I have lot's of time for Tom and love his unique personality which is away from a lot of other players, but the fact is that he just is a really bang average football player.
Barkley fkr me was very talented and a wasted talent. When I look at Grealish. Not saying he’s better, but was ahead of him at 19/20/21 Barkley got 25 goals and assists contribution in one season when he was 21/22.
And I think that was 2 pens and maybe 2 set piece assists.

That goal at Newcastle was ridiculous, to run the length of the pitch, then switch it to his left, dribble on his weaker foot past 2 players and then smash it with his left foot.

He just seemed to love the life style and maybe he didn’t have the dedication to improve his faults and work on his game. And of course his poor game management

Barkley fkr me was very talented and a wasted talent. When I look at Grealish. Not saying he’s better, but was ahead of him at 19/20/21 Barkley got 25 goals and assists contribution in one season when he was 21/22.

That goal at Newcastle was ridiculous, to run the length of the pitch, then switch it to his left, dribble on his weaker foot past 2 players and then smash it with his left foot.

He just seemed to love the life style and maybe he didn’t have the dedication to improve his faults and work on his game. And of course his poor game management
Barkley is an in between player. He's not good enough at finding pockets, receiving the ball or playing in tight areas to be a modern day attacker/creator type and he's not good enough positionally and at winning the ball to be truly box to box. Might be a weird comparison but Doucoure is like this too except he's been trying to do more of the midfield stuff most of his career than the attacking stuff.

Anyway Gordon for me at least has a position. I'd like to see what he could do in a team that tries to keep the ball. To go toward the top of the game he'll need to start working in the gap between fullback and CB some. Wingers nowadays have to find those areas and score.

Barkley is an in between player. He's not good enough at finding pockets, receiving the ball or playing in tight areas to be a modern day attacker/creator type and he's not good enough positionally and at winning the ball to be truly box to box. Might be a weird comparison but Doucoure is like this too except he's been trying to do more of the midfield stuff most of his career than the attacking stuff.

Anyway Gordon for me at least has a position. I'd like to see what he could do in a team that tries to keep the ball. To go toward the top of the game he'll need to start working in the gap between fullback and CB some. Wingers nowadays have to find those areas and score.
I rate Gordon and always have, think he could go far.

Barkley is better than Doucoure, funny thing is for someone who got goals i always thought he’s be a better number 8. Problem was he had Martinez who massaged his ego and then koeman who basically slagged him off every week.

One of his best performances was in the 3-3 derby after baines went off and Barry went on left back and he dropped back next to McCarthy. He ran the game

I’d say you’ve summed Barkley up perfectly. Never seen so much natural ability in those first two/three seasons. I think his hamstring injuries really affected him, he was never quite the same player but we’ll wait a long time to see natural ability like that again.

I’ve not read the other pages, surely nobody is trying to say Gordon looks better than Barkley did at his age?? I mean that’s just nuts even for this place!

Barkley is better than Doucoure, funny thing is for someone who got goals i always thought he’s be a better number 8. Problem was he had Martinez who massaged his ego and then koeman who basically slagged him off every week.

One of his best performances was in the 3-3 derby after baines went off and Barry went on left back and he dropped back next to McCarthy. He ran the game
I agree I think he's better. And I also agree he probably should be box to box but that is what Chelsea and Villa both tried to do and he can't quite be good enough without the ball. Still think Ross is real talented but there isn't a modern system where he fits really well.

I like the look of Gordon, I have since he first got into the team under Ancelotti, there’s a long way to go, but, he’s got a real chance of making it, he’s by no means the finished article, but, the raw material is there, also he has a fair bit of aggression about him.

As for Ross, he had the ability to have been a super star, sadly he just hasn’t made the right decisions, either on or off the field and this, along with his injuries, has held him back. Decision making during games has always been a problem for him too, when he played off the cuff, with no time to think about what he was doing he was terrific, but, if he had a decision to make, he often chose the wrong option. The same could be said for his choice of agent and his off the field activities.

It’s a shame, I remember when I first saw Ross, I thought he would be such a special player.

I like the look of Gordon, I have since he first got into the team under Ancelotti, there’s a long way to go, but, he’s got a real chance of making it, he’s by no means the finished article, but, the raw material is there, also he has a fair bit of aggression about him.

As for Ross, he had the ability to have been a super star, sadly he just hasn’t made the right decisions, either on or off the field and this, along with his injuries, has held him back. Decision making during games has always been a problem for him too, when he played off the cuff, with no time to think about what he was doing he was terrific, but, if he had a decision to make, he often chose the wrong option. The same could be said for his choice of agent and his off the field activities.

It’s a shame, I remember when I first saw Ross, I thought he would be such a special player.
Yeah genuinely thought he was going to be another Rooney, he was that good as a kid before his double leg break.

Thought we were set for central midfielders for ages having Barkley and McCcarthy in that team. Then injuries did what they do at Everton and before long we were looking at Schendierlin and Siggurdson walking around the pitch not trying.

Ross for raw quality was one of the best players we ever had come through the academy. All the talent in the world, he could have been one on the best players of his generation. Talent means only so much, Ross never had it between his ears, when he broke through and after his first two years here he hit his ceiling, he put no effort into developing and evolving and developing as a player. He still hasnt. He looked around and thought everyone was at fault except himself, then made a career ending move to Chelsea were he will journey man anonymously from there. Zero application and weak on the intelligence side of the game. It goes to show you need way more than just talent to make it. Martinez calling him world class every other week and giving him a free pass didnt help.

Gordon ive always thought he has that raw quality, even when getting battered on here by most. he seems to have better application and learns unlike Ross. His big challenge is consisntencey and impacting full tilt game after game.

These lads are gold dust, literally worth 10's of millions to Everton if they can make it and be a part of the squad, lads like Tom Davies and Holgate are worth their weight in gold to us, Coleman one of the best of all.

Last edited:
Ross for raw quality was one of the best players we ever had come through the academy. All the talent in the world, he could have been one on the best players of his generation. Talent means only so much, Ross never had it between his ears, when he broke through and after his first two years here he hit his ceiling, he put no effort into developing and evolving and developing as a player. He still hasnt. He looked around and thought everyone was at fault except himself, then made a career ending move to Chelsea were he will journey man anonymously from there. Zero application and weak on the intelligence side of the game. It goes to show you need way more than just talent to make it. Martinez calling him world class every other weak and giving him a free pass didnt help.

Gordon ive always thought he has that raw quality, even when getting battered on here by most. he seems to have better application and learns unlike Ross. His big challenge is consisntencey and impacting full tilt game after game.

These lads are gold dust, literally worth 10's of millions to Everton if they can make it and be a part of the squad, lads like Tom Davies and Holgate are worth their weight in gold to us, Coleman one of the best of all.

For me Barkley had a lot more going for him than Gordon. Barkley should really have had tbe career Rooney had (and Rooney should have done even better, but that's another story). He is 6 ft 2, could pass and go past people with ease, shoot with both feet etc. An unbelievably talented 16/17 year old.

He has just never really picked on. A lot of it is tactical, he never really got used to maximising his abilities in a system, so became a bit of a liability. He also never went to the next level with numbers, like a Gerrard did where he score say 10-15 goals a season regularly and just have that free role.

Gordon is more subtle than Barkley, not as big or strong, or to be honest confident. But he is improving. By the time Ross was 20/21 he had already stopped improving. That's a good sign for Gordon.

I dont think Gordon will ever be a guy like Barkley who you thought had potential to run a game. But he is quick, goes past people easily, and strikes a ball well with his right foot. He is also deceptively tall and good in the air and gets "ugly" goals in the 23s. It's good hes started to assist chances and goals, but his next step is to start scoring goals. Gordon also works well defensively in a team set up.

I happen to think he can be a better player than what Barkley became.

For me Barkley had a lot more going for him than Gordon. Barkley should really have had tbe career Rooney had (and Rooney should have done even better, but that's another story). He is 6 ft 2, could pass and go past people with ease, shoot with both feet etc. An unbelievably talented 16/17 year old.

He has just never really picked on. A lot of it is tactical, he never really got used to maximising his abilities in a system, so became a bit of a liability. He also never went to the next level with numbers, like a Gerrard did where he score say 10-15 goals a season regularly and just have that free role.

Gordon is more subtle than Barkley, not as big or strong, or to be honest confident. But he is improving. By the time Ross was 20/21 he had already stopped improving. That's a good sign for Gordon.

I dont think Gordon will ever be a guy like Barkley who you thought had potential to run a game. But he is quick, goes past people easily, and strikes a ball well with his right foot. He is also deceptively tall and good in the air and gets "ugly" goals in the 23s. It's good hes started to assist chances and goals, but his next step is to start scoring goals. Gordon also works well defensively in a team set up.

I happen to think he can be a better player than what Barkley became.

Ross had immense talent mate, you could see it a mile off,almost everything like you say, i remember looking at an interview when he was playing for England and the coaches were drooling saying he was the national teams future. Players of that quality you get maybe once every 15-20 years. He had a poor attitude to me though, he never wanted to put any effort to develop skills to take him out of comfort zone, as you say develop the tactical side of the game, his in game intelligence, controlling tempo, he never understood the game systemically. Martinez to my mind indulged him because he was so talented and the years he had with him where so important, i wish he had of come through when Moyes was here because he would have demanded Ross develop. To be fair to Koeman he saw it a mile of and tried the tough love approach, which Ross needed to become the player he should and develop. He binned that off and wasted his career at Chelsea, he couldn't even get a run for Villa last year. Hes still at the same level he was when here with no development. Its he difference between becoming a Gerrard or staying a Jon Jo Shelvey - which sadly is the category Ross is in now as a player. Sad really, though he did the massive dirt on us.

While Ross had immense talent, and i agree Gordon isnt at that level, i think hes is very talented, he has that intelligence Ross didnt and i see that improving every time, his attitude is great. On his quality, i thought he was exceptional against Chelsea, they are European Champions and they have the meanest defense in the league, he absolutely terrorized them the other night - they are one of the best teams and defenses in Europe for my money, i thought he was incredible, huge influence on the game and the result. If we know he can do that full tilt at the quality of Chelsea we have a player on our hands. The assists and goals they will come as he acclimatizes to this level, but i think hes been brilliant this year - hes really worked hard on the dirty side of the game and hes developing balance to his defensive and attacking side of the game, he knows, he understands and hes committed to it. Reminded me a bit of Sheeds at times vs Chelsea. Always open, always on it, always probing, always making the right call and executing. Hes a clever player. More so than Ross. Personally i think we have a player on our hands in young Tony.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.