2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just thinking about who would be comparable to Gordon for purposes for gauging value. Mount, Foden, Saka are on another planet in value. Barnes and Eze are a little older. Hudson-Odoi before his injuries? Nketiah? Smith-Rowe might be decent comparison. I could see Gordon having a similar season to his last season. 10 goals, moments of brilliance but overall a little frustrating.

I can understand why we're valuing Gordon so highly because if he adds a few more goals every season, he'll be right in that conversation for an England place with Barnes, Bowen, etc. But also I wouldn't buy any of those players bar the first three for £50m, let alone someone with Gordon's resume. It's madness on Chelsea's part.
This would be pretty substantial improvement no?

Pulisic produced more for Dortmund in less minutes while also being younger (he joined Chelsea before he turned 21). I'd personally put that down as a fairly different resume.
He had 10 goals in 81 appearances and got to play w/ one of the best forwards in the world. Gordon is the player that clubs mark and game plan around (its because we suck, but it still matters). Also that's not to say Pulisic wasn't worth it at the time. Once a UCL prem club is interested the values rise precipitously. It will pay off to be patient.

I was just thinking about who would be comparable to Gordon for purposes for gauging value. Mount, Foden, Saka are on another planet in value. Barnes and Eze are a little older. Hudson-Odoi before his injuries? Nketiah? Smith-Rowe might be decent comparison. I could see Gordon having a similar season to his last season. 10 goals, moments of brilliance but overall a little frustrating.

I can understand why we're valuing Gordon so highly because if he adds a few more goals every season, he'll be right in that conversation for an England place with Barnes, Bowen, etc. But also I wouldn't buy any of those players bar the first three for £50m, let alone someone with Gordon's resume. It's madness on Chelsea's part.
IDK we are valuing Gordon too high, he's a young player, young players go for high transfer fees. Not to mention if you wait til after the WC, a bunch of players are gonna come back tired/injured, those top 6 clubs are gonna be desperate and Gordon isn't gonna be cup tied.

I compared him with Smith-Rowe and Saka...hes nowhere near them for end product.

Then i moved down to Nketiah and hes perhaps around that level.

Who pays £50mil for Eddie?

This is why I think Conte was linked and rumoured to want Gordon as a RWB. My guess is Chelsea would have him there as backup to James.

It was a good post earlier mate,weirdly rational.

Here's the thing, we don't know if Moshiri is bankrolling anymore or not. Until we see him doing it we won't know.

But baffling is if we sell him for 45/50m people acting like this season we will suddenly she'll out 150m because we won't have to pay the fees all up front, those fees still end up being paid if not this then next and the one after seasons which just causes yet another problem.

If we sell him we aren't gonna be bringing in multiple 30-35m players all of a sudden, we will just be able to finance the likes of Adams, Muapay, Garner and similar levels.

I think certain people have talked themselves into the idea hes rubbish so see this as a robbery. Whatever you think of Gordon, hes probably our best attacking player. So it's a big gamble letting him go.

I compared him with Smith-Rowe and Saka...hes nowhere near them for end product.

This is why I think Conte was linked and rumoured to want Gordon as a RWB. My guess is Chelsea would have him there as backup to James.
I don't really buy the RWB rumors personally, but Conte and Tuchel are both nuts so it's possible. Yeah Smith-Rowe's stock has dropped a little, but this is Arsenal fans we're talking about...he's certainly shown more than Gordon to this point. Nketiah is a good comparison, except that his only job is to score goals whereas Gordon has to graft a lot more on the wing.

I like Gordon but I cant see how he gets in the England side as an attacking player.

Look at Arsenal with Saka and Smith-Rowe, hows he getting ahead of those two?

Beyond that of course Bowen,Sterling, Grealish, Mount...Gordons nowhere near them.

I'm not saying that to be mean but all of those 6 players are currently showing consistent end product in comparison.

But for that major injury he'd be seen as up there as one of the best young centre backs on the planet.

He's shown that he's got the mindset to improve himself, effort and pace on the pitch and of course makes some very clever runs...

...but hes yet to show any end product. Even flashes of something where I'd raise my eyebrows and watch a replay.

To be honest, I wonder if MGW wont end up a far superior player than Gordon. He's shown a huge amount in the Championship. Yes theres a big gulf but his stats were eye opening.

Im confused by this...what has Gordon done to warrant a pay rise?

What makes Gordon a valuable asset?

Mystified honestly...because Chelsea are offering insane money for him doesnt make him high value to Everton on the pitch...nor does it make him a £45mil level player for Everton.

If Morgan Gibbs White or Eddie Nketiah were offered to Everton for £45/50mil would you be happy to bring either / both in?

As thats the level above anything Gordon has shown in terms of end product...
I like Gordon but I cant see how he gets in the England side as an attacking player.

Look at Arsenal with Saka and Smith-Rowe, hows he getting ahead of those two?

Beyond that of course Bowen,Sterling, Grealish, Mount...Gordons nowhere near them.

I'm not saying that to be mean but all of those 6 players are currently showing consistent end product in comparison.

But for that major injury he'd be seen as up there as one of the best young centre backs on the planet.

He's shown that he's got the mindset to improve himself, effort and pace on the pitch and of course makes some very clever runs...

...but hes yet to show any end product. Even flashes of something where I'd raise my eyebrows and watch a replay.

To be honest, I wonder if MGW wont end up a far superior player than Gordon. He's shown a huge amount in the Championship. Yes theres a big gulf but his stats were eye opening.

Im confused by this...what has Gordon done to warrant a pay rise?

What makes Gordon a valuable asset?

Mystified honestly...because Chelsea are offering insane money for him doesnt make him high value to Everton on the pitch...nor does it make him a £45mil level player for Everton.

If Morgan Gibbs White or Eddie Nketiah were offered to Everton for £45/50mil would you be happy to bring either / both in?

As thats the level above anything Gordon has shown in terms of end product...
What he has done is become a valuable asset for the club, his agent will be so well aware of this.

You protect your assets and you keep them as happy as possible.
Not recognising his increased worth is not the way to keep the player happy.

Smith Rowe is older than him, but honestly is Smith Rowe was better, Chelsea would just go and pay 50m for him, as theres no way Arsenal could turn that down.

Status
Not open for further replies.