2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well he has clearly been poor but hes not a centre forward. I dont see how people can say he's played well though.

He's played fine

Not great, not bad

Fine. Average. Cromulent. So-so

Yet people act like he's been plop

I watched that Villa match with my United supporting uncle and he was full of praise for Gordon. My work colleagues who support other clubs all like Gordon and think we've got a really promising talent

Come on here though and he's poor or worse

We get the club we deserve

Everyone has their price I agree.
I just think that two games into the season and without him having a proper cf to feed it’s a bit early to form a firm opinion of him. Richarlison at his age scored 5 goals in the league.
He is raw so he’s still that kid with potential and he does provide an outlet and pace but as a said a few replies back that will never win you a football match. He has over 50 appearances for Everton now and I’m not sure what else he brings as an attacking player. As I said there needs to be glimpses of something he excels at whether that be set pieces, crosses, shooting, finishing - to justify his inclusion now not just the same running down blind alleys, getting bullied off the ball, poor decisions on the ball. Unfortunately like Tom Davies he was thrown in at the deep end due to the ineptitude of Everton’s recruitment and was heavily hyped up by the club this summer, in my eyes, to gloss over the sale of richarlison and his non-replacement. But the last two games, he hasn’t shown any goal scoring instinct or positional awareness as a forward and has 4 goals and 3 assists to his name as an attacker.. the lad needs to show something else or he needs to be moved on while the hype is still there and we can command a decent fee.

He's played fine

Not great, not bad

Fine. Average. Cromulent. So-so

Yet people act like he's been plop

I watched that Villa match with my United supporting uncle and he was full of praise for Gordon. My work colleagues who support other clubs all like Gordon and think we've got a really promising talent

Come on here though and he's poor or worse

We get the club we deserve
No one to play off, Gray who has zero ability to link up play, McNeil who works best off a target man and being expected to win games on his own.

The clubs fault we’ve lost the first two games, not his

We have financial issues and a genuinely awful attack. We don’t really know how Gordon will develop - he may add goals to his games or he may not. It’s not long since he was sitting on the bench at Preston.

In short - if decent money is offered and we can line up a couple of more proven players, then we’d be daft not to sell.

Selling him and Richi in the same window is a death sentence
Not really, not if it's reinvested sensibly and wisely.

Richy scored important goals but not a lot of goals and AG has what, couple of goals and assists if that in his senior career? ~£100m for those two could help bring more quality into the team.

I don't think for one second the AG deal will happen, but if we were going to sell, it should have been done early so we could have gone for our top targets, not scrambling round before deadline day.

I think being supportive of football players who play for the club you support is generally helpful, yes

…sorry, Mikey, this is a sentiment I can never understand. It’s almost saying posters shouldn’t have an opinion about a player, we should all post nice things. I’ve heard it said of managers too.

Footy is very emotive, fans have opinion because they care.

i actually like Gordon, he does things on the pitch no others can do but I understand the frustration of posters who see no end result. If he becomes effective, if he scores vital goals regularly it will catapult him to the top players. Until then, he will divide opinion & that’s what footy is about (unless we want to become RAWK where we give our players cosy nicknames and don’t criticise).

I personally think he did stink the gaff out.

Lots of leeway gvien for the role he was playing, but he did it badly.

Did you think that?

Fair enough I suppose. I'm not saying he was brilliant, but thought he was ok. Hes inches away from scoring, made a few good runs, got a couple of good shots off, worked hard etc.

The TV pundit also noted he was decent. It doesnt make it right, but sort of re enforces how I felt about it.

What are people expecting from him out of position?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back