2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s not what I’m saying

Never has been what I’ve been saying

Never will be what I say

All I am saying is be fair and don’t massacre players for average performances, especially if they’re young

Young players should be graded on a curve, because they are still developing, so if a young lad goes in there and plays fine then that’s not grounds to slaughter them

Gordon has entered two average performances and people are going on like he was awful

There’s WAY more of ultra negativity than there is of OTT positivity

…sorry, Mikey, if that’s what you’re saying I agree with that assessment.

Gordon is a talent, he shouldn’t be written off. Some wrote Patterson off before he kicked a ball. Saying that, Gordon can turn opinion around if he improves that final aspect of his game.

If you judge him as a young player leading the line in the hardest league in the world for the first time, then yes, he did ok.

But as a player leading the line for Everton, I thought he did poorly and along with the majority of our attacking players failed to build attacks.

Fair enough.

I dont think he was wonderful, I'd give him a 6, when the others up to have been a 4. But people seem to be singling him out as a 2, who is dragging other good performing players down.

I also agree, he isnt good enough to be leading our line. But he should be judged in his position, which is playing wide.

Also worth saying, a 6, for a 21 year old, is not that bad. Like McNeil has been a 4, but deserves time too.

This thread sums up evertonians, here we have a young player who newcastle are looking at as they plan to build a squad to challenge and have identified him as a part of it, and Chelsea who are alot closer are interested, and instead of looking at it and thinking we might have a player we can build a team around, people here want to sell ASAP because everton lost a couple of games and he hasn't looked good being played out of position

@MikelsGoat

If he has a great season or two then he’ll leave anyway. Not worth getting too attached to players.

The reality of the situation is that if the right offer comes in then we have to sell the player, and if we can’t replace him then that’s on us and our bad recruitment. I think we’d be mental to turn down anything £40m+. Every single player in this squad is replaceable for the right price

No, I really don't. We don't have the luxury of holding onto players because they might be really good in 2-3 years, we need quality now. The clubs after him do have that luxury.

What quality are we gonna get in tho this late in, teams will know everton are desperate so we will be paying well over the odds for any striker.

I don't think sacrificing him will benefit us in any term.

Fair enough.

I dont think he was wonderful, I'd give him a 6, when the others up to have been a 4. But people seem to be singling him out as a 2, who is dragging other good performing players down.

I also agree, he isnt good enough to be leading our line. But he should be judged in his position, which is playing wide.

Also worth saying, a 6, for a 21 year old, is not that bad. Like McNeil has been a 4, but deserves time too.
I would have given them all a 4, at no point, not saying you said I was, but at no point have I personally singled Gordon out, I havent even "blamed" Lampard, there were very few option. I think playing Gordon up top for a 2nd time was complete lunacy by the way, but very few real options.

This thread sums up evertonians, here we have a young player who newcastle are looking at as they plan to build a squad to challenge and have identified him as a part of it, and Chelsea who are alot closer are interested, and instead of looking at it and thinking we might have a player we can build a team around, people here want to sell ASAP because everton lost a couple of games and he hasn't looked good being played out of position

@MikelsGoat

I dont want to sell him, but if somebody wants to give us 50million, im taking that for every single player we currently own.

Its easy to be more objective as a neutral in a game you don't care about than when your own side are losing and carrying no goal threat.

He was poor and offered no threat, but not at all unexpected playing as a 9. I dont see what there is to gain here from saying he had a good game when he didn't. He could and maybe should have put that one away near the end and thats the fine margins in football. I have little doubt he will get better in front of goal but right this moment, he is lacking a bit of composure.

We dont want to become a team where nearly is good enough. We need to raise standards pretty urgently.

I'd suggest mate, and I mean it respectfully, your subjectivity is probably clouding your judgement a bit. Your frustrated and angry we lost. I am too, we all are. So we can overreact a bit on players.

Someone impartial just sees the game. They will be a far better judge than you or me.

Nowhere near a £50 million player. You’re talking Sterling level of player for that amount. If that’s offered I imagine it would be very difficult to turn down. Ideally I’d like to keep him but knowing this club money talks.

Status
Not open for further replies.