Anyone know the connection?

Have you got that in writing as I've contacted the clubs biographer and he would like to know more?
Not to hand, no.

I've got it written down in some old notes that Everton and West Brom played for a trophy put forward by New Connectional Methodists in the 1880s.

I might have jumped to the conclusion WBA were "also formed" by that sect.

I'll dif the info out in the coming days if you want it...

Not to hand, no.

I've got it written down in some old notes that Everton and West Brom played for a trophy put forward by New Connectional Methodists in the 1880s.

I might have jumped to the conclusion WBA were "also formed" by that sect.

I'll dif the info out in the coming days if you want it...
Well don't go to any trouble but that would be great, thanks

Think you're right :

Everton Football Club, founded in 1878, can trace its roots back to a Methodist chapel dedicated to St Domingo that once stood in the north end of Liverpool. Ben Chambers, at that time, ministered the chapel. Reverend Chambers had recently arrived in Liverpool the Rugby playing stronghold of Huddersfield where he was born. It is unlikely that he brought with him any knowledge of football that was played under the rules of the Football Association. Nevertheless, amongst the local congregation was a certain Thomas Evans a well-experienced football player who had learnt to play the association game back in his native Derbyshire. Tom Evans, under the watchful eye of the church elders, would have likely organized a series of impromptu soccer matches amongst the younger members of the congregation on a piece of land, laid out for public recreation, named Stanley Park. One year later the players severed their eccliasitacal roots and found new headquarters at the Queens Hotel in the district of Everton to which they changed their name. They continued to play their home matches on Stanley Park and, it was at this location, that they first played host to a team of players from St Johns, church in Bootle. Their curate, Alfred Keely, led the visitors.
It could really be argued - or equally be argued - that Everton are more of a pub-origins team.

The religious origins story of the club looks shaky to say the least. I mean, Lennon and McCartney met at St Peters Church fete in Woolton. We don't say the Beatles originated as a church band though do we?!

As said, the club was founded by lads in the district of Everton who then used a boozer for its HQ.

The chapel origins story looks to have been a fable peddled by temperance-minded people involved at the club at a much later date.