Are you a still a football fan or solely an Evertonian these days?

Started getting into the NFL a little bit more over the past 12 months. I always had a team (technically two really lol) but never paid much mind until now. It's been a nice distraction from the footy and both my father-in-law & brother-in-law are into it as well.

I absolutely hate modern football. I used to love the sport. I was the type of person who could tell you every single "big game" going on in all four tiers of the football league on any given weekend and pretty much every major league in Europe. But I just can't be bothered anymore. Outside of Everton, I doubt that I'll ever watch a game of togger again. Maybe I'll be in the pub when a random game is going on but I'd never set aside my free time for that. The sport is rotten to the core. Its made for hipster fans who more like coustmers then supporters. I don't want to be the old man shouting at the cloud but it becomes more and more apparent by the day that the sport has past me by. Its more akin to professional wrestling in 2024. Rigged AF, but a good deal less entertaining. I truly don't know if I'll be able to motivate myself to keep going the match after the first season at the new place. Its not like football even makes me angry/upset. It just bores and irritates me beyond belief. 😒

100%. There's an apathy towards it now. Which isn't your fault...it's everything that encompasses the modern game that drove you that way.

Most people on here are effectively saying they hate footy but it’s never been more popular

It just shows that the “legacy fans” like us aren’t the target audience at all - it’s aimed at picking up non local and new audiences and they obviously think the best way of doing that is getting people to choose one of the sky six

Popular in what way though? Because people have access to watch City and the RS world wide, doesn't mean the sport is popular IMO.

Just means there's a select couple of clubs that people "follow" than actually following the sport. They also probably don't have a period of time to compare it to.

We'd sit and watch any team if there's a game on. The majority probably wouldn't.

Which is probably your point.

Popular in what way though? Because people have access to watch City and the RS world wide, doesn't mean the sport is popular IMO.

Just means there's a select couple of clubs that people "follow" than actually following the sport. They also probably don't have a period of time to compare it to.

We'd sit and watch any team if there's a game on. The majority probably wouldn't.

Which is probably your point.
Yeah it’s all about captive audiences, online engagement, data capture, getting bigger numbers and wider reach and ultimately advertising revenue

The football itself is just a vehicle to allow that to happen - it’s been stolen from us

99.99% Everton but i do like to see a good game, whether on local park or on the TV.

There are still "Craftsmen Footballers" out there and I admire their skill, even if I dont care for their lavish lifestyle and monetary rewards.

It depends how I look at it I'm definitely an Everton fan first and foremost but I probably enjoy the experience of watching Everton less than any other game I watch. Football is still a great game so I like watching it the premier league is a very flawed thing but the quality of some of the teams is exceptionally good and watching two good teams going for it against eachother is a great way to spend a sunday afternoon. It looks like some people are also thinking that because they've grown up and got other responsibilities that have pushed football further down the list of priorities for them that its proof of getting worse or losing appeal instead of realising its them thats changed.

I'm an Evertonian above all else. But I enjoy watching football in general. The premier league and champions league have got way more sterile over the years, so less inclined these days to tune into a random game, would honestly rather watch my nephew's under play in the U9s.

I live in Crosby now so I've been enjoying going to the odd Marine game.

If ever I'm on holiday somewhere I try and see one of the local teams, headed to Bucharest for a City break soon, so will be good to see FCSB, or Steau or Dynamo etc...

Would happily watch games from the following leagues:
-championship
-bundesliga
-la liga
-argentina primera
-brazil series a
-copa libatadores

This year's AFCON was quite good.

Hoping to go to Argentina later this year and see Boca Juniors.

Only games I'll watch are Everton. Even that feels like a chore now which i feel I do out of habit nowadays rather than for any kind of pleasure or wanting to watch.

As said previous. I'll watch the World Cup and similar tournaments but the English game is dead and rotted to the core and as such I have very little interest any more.

Football.

St Patricks Athletic with my 12 year old son and occasionally 9 year old daughter honestly brings more enjoyment. The atmosphere and experience at 'lower level' games surpasses that in the sanitised English top flight. Sky, their money, cheating players and their VAR have murdered the premier league.

Good thread!

I am solely Everton, though not necessarily just bc of the theatrical PL punishments.

I have slowly been put off being a football fan in general due to the volume and frequency of discourse and media which I find overwhelming, and incredibly boring.

Like anything, if it's rammed down your throat enough, it starts to lose its charm.

I miss when football was a weekend/non-constant thing, when it had eccentricity, where there were still unknowns, and novelty. I feel like modern day media coverage has football has destroyed most of that.

Pretty much my only connections to football now are this site, going to home games, and trivia with friends. I barely even stream our away games now. Sad but I feel like it has been slowly battered out of the domain of things I enjoy.

yep my wife constantly telling me Everton ruin our weekends. Toxic a great summary but oh for those 2 mins when we score - all is forgotten. Very drug like symbolism - cold turkey for 30 years, still chasing that high. Bar watching extended highlights of EFC on youtube, dont watch any other football except my local team live home and away when i can
But even that has changed, VAR has sucked the life out of a proper celebration! There is that - there is no other feeling like it for a moment, but it’s literally a moment now until you realise that some faceless official in a room somewhere is almost certainly looking for a reason to disallow the goal, and you look at the referee and the screen to see if VAR is involved!
These days it doesn’t compare with the utter terrifying joy of the ball hitting the back of the net, celebrating whilst trying to stop falling over the seat in front of you, or as us oldies remember the surge and flying down the terraces then trying to fight your way back up to roughly where you had been standing!