Confirmed Signing Ashley Young

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am concerned about how his body holds up injury wise, but it needs to be said. Some people REALLY take care of their bodies. Some people keep their athleticism til they’re mid to late 30’s (rare but it happens). Let’s judge him on his performances and not his age. I think that is fair.

He is a solid professional and is probably the best cover we could have gotten because he can play all over the place and will be one of the best backups in the squad in all likelihood. He can start and we probably won’t miss a beat. If we get the 2-3 signings in (Danjuma incoming already), then he was a good signing. As others have said though, he shouldn’t be used as an excuse to not sign more.

Our fullback cover is fine (as is our cover on the wing with Gray and young) but our starters are the problem. I can see Dyche using Dwight at fullback quite a bit if we bring in Gnoto in addition to Danjuma. He strikes me as the type of manager that just wants to get his best players on the pitch. If we get a good left sided player in, I can see that partnership being fruitful.

I remember talking to my Watford supporting mate about him 18 years ago when we were first linked to him. He said he wasn’t ready for us. Moved to Villa shortly afterwards. He did say Richarlison was good enough though. We have Young now and I think he’s going to be a cult hero like Gough and Barry.
If we get 2 years out of him, that’ll be quite something and a testament to how he’s treated his body over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back