Match Thread Aston Villa vs Everton. Saturday 14th August 12:30 KO

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Lampard doesnt realize that Iwobi cant play in counter attack in a false 9 system. He is good to deliver the ball but too slow to pass. That is why we are better in a proper Centre Forward system. Think we will get a proper CF soon. This season is hard but seem we will be safe at the end. The team is progressing a proper team. Hope we will win in bext match.

There’s a complete lack of creativity in this squad and bringing Gana back will do nothing to improve that. Even if we had a decent striker we’re not going to be creating loads of chances for him. Villa weren’t that much better but they do have some creative players. Never mind not getting a Richarlison replacement, we haven’t even adequately replaced Sigurdsson or Rodriquez.
I think with Gana we will be a more solid midfield and help to make the defence more stable. Also think retention of the ball will improve slightly rather than greatly but being more solid keeps us in games longer than at presence

I dont want him to start next week mcneil gordon and gray today awful

They're good direct runners, stretching teams.

None of them are going to get you goals though. And when they're bad...they're bad. Simple passes in these last 2 games from Gordon and Gray have been ballsed up. And McNeil running into trouble for their first goal...I'll give him the benefit of doubt for being in a new team

….I’m old enough to know to judge a start after 10 games, that truly gives an indicator of which part of the league we’ll be in.

i‘m not sure what to make of that performance, the lack of attacking potency will not be down to a missing striker alone. We can make excuses about players getting used to a new system but we have to carry threat to be competitive.

McNeil so disappointing after I got a bit giddy with his debut in the friendly. Plenty of interceptions to support his stats but little or no productivity where we most need. I thought we looked ok defensively, Patterson growing into the role but he struggled a little late on.

Gordon more miss than hit but he does take risk in looking to get beyond defenders, we need others to take the game to opponents.

Fingers crossed we are bedding in, only time will tell.

Just like last week, it's not just the lack of a striker that's the issue.

It's the lack of a player to create any decent chances or show any composure in the final third.

But we still had chances a striker would put away, just like the Chelsea game.

I mean that one that landed on Gray's lap in the box and he had a bad control...insert 90% of strikers in the league and they slot.

….I’m old enough to know to judge a start after 10 games, that truly gives an indicator of which part of the league we’ll be in.

i‘m not sure what to make of that performance, the lack of attacking potency will not be down to a missing striker alone. We can make excuses about players getting used to a new system but we have to carry threat to be competitive.

McNeil so disappointing after I got a bit giddy with his debut in the friendly. Plenty of interceptions to support his stats but little or no productivity where we most need. I thought we looked ok defensively, Patterson growing into the role but he struggled a little late on.

Gordon more miss than hit but he does take risk in looking to get beyond defenders, we need others to take the game to opponents.

Fingers crossed we are bedding in, only time will tell.
He is a diving Diva. Needs to stay strong and battle. Not his normal position as the whole world can see but would have thought a better contribution from him would have helped. All I say is please do not play him out of position

Teams that don’t score goals end up in relegation fights, we have no goals in us and I’m not sure that changes with Dom fit either. No creativity in midfield and poor wide players is a bad combo.

At least the defence doesn’t seem as suicidal as last season
This will be crucial this season. Keeps us in games

Things we learned from this one

1. Myko can't play LWB - he gives you virtually nothing going forward
2. Defence well organised
3. Wing backs need to play much higher up the pitch - when we did in the 2nd half we looked a lot better
4. You can't play 2 in CM - yet again we get overrun there
5. Gordon tried his heart out but will never be a lone central striker
6. Iwobi is currently our best player - bloody hell ! - his transformation has been remarkable
7. Frank needs to be bolder in his selection. If he is wedded to 3 at the back the wing backs need a far higher starting position , 3 in CM and 2 up top.
8. Onana could be a steal.

I really like Mc Neil but shocked how poor he's been in the 2 games - he has to play left hand side - I'd play him LWB

We all know we need a centre forward but are now at desperation level. We won't win games without a decent CF it's as simple as that.

Pickford
Coady Tarkowski Mykolenko
Patterson McNeil
Gana ( please ) Onana Iwobi
Gordon and DCL /new CF

Wins you more than we lose.
Like the shout for Mcnel as LWB. Miko in the centre 3

I noticed last year and especially the first two games of the season that we are always dominated physically. It’s concerning how soft we are and it’s evident teams are taking advantage of that. We need to start being the bullies and not be bullied.

For too long in that game, even when we had the ball in their half, there was never a forward pass on. We never had anyone in their box, except from corners. Onana looks immense, but it's quite concerning that we as a team are transformed by one (very young) player.

Reactions: SPW
Without bringing in a striker it was the result I expected.

Villa aren't particularly good but we never went for them.

There are promising signs and seemingly more defensive solidity.

DCL now seems injury prone (I know some will think that's harsh) and Rondon just isn't good enough. We need two forwards bringing in but that seems unlikely.

If we want to finish in the top half we'll need a playmaker as well.

I see this and following seasons as a rebuilding project so another centre midfielder to bolster that area and a decent striker and I think we'll be okay from relegation threat this season.

Must be great for the opposition when you know your playing against a team with a zero goal threat. But let’s go out and get another midfielder?

Must be great for the opposition when you know your playing against a team with a zero goal threat. But let’s go out and get another midfielder?
Correct.

Utter 'kin folly.

Lampard's words to the board when they sold Richarlison should have been: "fine, but I have a replacement lined up and I want it sorted either before he signs for Spurs or the day or so after".

He's let this drift badly.

We all know the board are the ultimate problem, but Lampard needed to be forceful there.

Status
Not open for further replies.