Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Back 6 (Next season)

How good on paper is our back 6 ?

• Top 6

• 7-12th

• 13-17th

• Bottom three

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it’s a question that’s difficult to answer in fairness.
I think the defence is half decent. The issue with Everton is we can’t pass or score enough goals. The attacking impetus is seriously lacking.
If we had forwards and a midfield that could retain possession the pressure is taken off the back 4. We wouldn’t be defending as a low block as much as normal.
I think a half decent forward line would also make a huge difference IMO

Agree with others we need to ensure prem safety first. Other than that I like myko as a defender, think he stops crosses coming in, good 1 on 1 defensively and deals with balls coming in into the box. What lets him down is going forward. I don’t know if he can improve that aspect but if he is to be replaced it’s that reason only, his attitude and work rate is spot on.

screaming out for a left back really aren’t we
think CB options (provided Branthwaite returns) are fairly sound and then could do with another RB should Coleman retire.

be interesting to see if there’s a place in the squad for Nkounkou next year - normally we’d be salivating if linked with a French U21 calibre player!

It’s pretty much the same as we’ve seen for the majority of this season aside from 1 player who’s only done it in a pub league.
This attitude … we took Funes Mori instead of VVD from said pub league… frankly it’s a tired trope that is inaccurate.

Anyway - he did it at international level, didn’t get much time domestically because of Tavernier.

But I agree our primary issues aren’t in the back 6

Last edited:
This attitude … we took Funes Mori instead of VVD from said pub league… frankly it’s a tired trope that is inaccurate.

Anyway - he did it at international level, didn’t get much time domestically because of Tavernier.

But I agree our primary issues aren’t in the back 6
I’m not talking about Patterson mert.

Our defenders are crap. There’s that

Only Pickford and maybe Onana would get anywhere near the matchday squad of a top 6 team.

Last time I checked it's good enough for 15th to 18th.

The League doesn't lie.

I think the three of you are missing the point.

Its not about how good the team is at keeping clean sheets or conceding goals.

Its also not about how many of our players get into a different team.

Solely this thread is about how good that unit of 6 players look on paper. As a barometer how many other teams have better back 6's on paper than the names listed?

Im confident that once you actually look at the other teams and compare those back 6's you'll see that ours look, on paper...

...pretty good.

I think it’s a question that’s difficult to answer in fairness.
I think the defence is half decent. The issue with Everton is we can’t pass or score enough goals. The attacking impetus is seriously lacking.
If we had forwards and a midfield that could retain possession the pressure is taken off the back 4. We wouldn’t be defending as a low block as much as normal.
I think a half decent forward line would also make a huge difference IMO

100% agree. Also things like Patterson being fit, Branthwaite translating his form into our league and Onana becoming the deeper midfielder perhaps.

People need to remember the coach and system are important as well.

I wouldn't take Ethan Pinnock or Pontus Jansson here but they're currently joint 6th in the league.

Thats exactly my point.

On paper that group look pretty good.

….i think I want to get this disaster of a season over before thinking about the next. Evaluate in May when we know where our future lies.
Exactly. Pickford and Onana won’t be here next season should we be relegated and anyway I’m fearing Pickford will be sold regardless, (probably to spurs) to ease our financial position.

I honestly think Branthwaite will be exactly what SD wants. Him and Tarks has the potential to be brilliant pairing.

I'd be happy going into next season with Coleman and Patterson dove tailing. I think Coleman has rolled the years back of recent, and there's definitely a player in Patterson, he's just raw in some regards at present. I expect Dyche to work with him, and get him to a standard befitting.

Mykolenko is really poor, he needs replacing.

Onana is brilliant, although he's not consistent enough yet for top clubs, so I expect him to be here next season and kick on too.

I've gone 7-12.

Our back six is only as good as our front five let them be. If the front 5 cant put any pressure on the opposition further up the field then we are always going to be vulnerable at the back due the amount of pressure that the opposition will put on our defence. We have seen the impact that Dyche has had by making our attacking pressure on the opposition better. As a result Arsenal aside we have capitulated defensively in any of our games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back