Baines: The midfielder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Baines is a more complete LB than Oviedo.

I dont know how many seasons Baines has to prove he's probably the best LB in the PL and probably Europe. IMO, shifting him isn't a wise move. Looks more like a pragmatic use of resources...itself alarming going into another summer window.

But we are not just putting players into positions and telling them to play. Baines doesn't fit this system at left-back. Which is okay, as he is pure class, and will not do badly anywhere, but we have a young left-back who does fit this system, and also has a degree of quality, so why not try out different positions for Baines? If it works with him in centre-midfield, we could have one of the best midfields (Baines and McCarthy!) in the prem.

Sounds like a way of utilising present squad strengths...or a cheapskate way of solving a midfield problem.

Every decision made on the playing side at Everton has to be viewed through the prism of what's cost effective.

Guardiola switches Lahm inside to fit his system; Martinez mulls over a similar switch for Baines because Kenwright cant give him funds.

Who had this one down? Anyone got a full house on the 'davek bingo'?

But we are not just putting players into positions and telling them to play. Baines doesn't fit this system at left-back. Which is okay, as he is pure class, and will not do badly anywhere, but we have a young left-back who does fit this system, and also has a degree of quality, so why not try out different positions for Baines? If it works with him in centre-midfield, we could have one of the best midfields (Baines and McCarthy!) in the prem.
I hadn't noticed him not fitting the system tbh. Here we are with the season near its end when we have performed very well defensively and Baines has been a part of that more than Oviedo has. Just because his partnership with Pienaar isn't what it was doesn't mean he's had a bad season.

No need for people to panick, bobby was merely stating that its a position he could do a job in the future, hes not saying hes the new first choice defensive mid from now on, but in a year or two he could have the odd game in there when we need to rotate a bit, ive always said baines could do really well in that position

Big nose on SSN today heard RM may be stating this as Gareth Barry may be moving on meaning Oviedo at left back - Baines in the Barry role! not for me - John stones would play the Barry role better for me than Baines if need be!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back