Barnsley v. Everton: Preseason

Status
Not open for further replies.
index.jpg

Random thoughts from the match (let's RIGBY this by saying, yes this is the first preseason game and you can't make any real judgments on any players)....

-Looked like we played a 4-1-4-1 When defending and switched more to a 3-5-2 when attacking. I really like the switch to the 4-1-4-1 and that may help out with our high press than the 4-2-3-1 we were tied to with Martinez.

-While, Gerry is definitely our best crosser on the ball it, maybe Koeman sees him having more impact in the middle of the field. More in the style of Griezman. I am also starting to give up on the idea that Gerry will mature out of his petulant streak. It does not do him any favors.

- Really surprised with how fluid Holgate was with the ball and moving it out of the back. Still needs to bulk up but if he can actually defend he looks like he has the ball skills being more and more desired in the modern game. Galloway definitely has filled out but I am still not sold on him making it as a regular if we actually raise our level like we want. I'd rather him go on loan and be a starter than be our 4th CB.

-Wish we got to see Dowell on the ball more, he was pretty quiet but he looked comfortable moving with the ball at his feet. Very impressed with how quickly he reads and plays the game.

-Still early but with rumors of Witsel and Carvahlo, Besic needs to play better to impress RK, although I am not surprised that his intensity did not drop for a preseason friendly.

-Robles was fine for shot blocking but we need another keeper to get us into Europe.

- Definitely was a 4-1-4-1/4-3-3 kind of thing. I don't think it worked as well in the first half as Gibson was playing ahead of Besic, but in the second half they switched, with Gibson sitting as the anchor and Besic doing the box-to-box work next to Barkley.

- Could be. RK said in his post-match interview that he wanted to try Del there as he played in that position for Barca B. While I still think he'll be primarily a winger, it's certainly an option. Also was very impressed with Tarashaj when he came on. Looked adept at picking up little bits of space in and around the box and linking up with Barkley.

- Holgate really impressed me. Got caught out at times but him and Stones seem so alike. A few of my mates know him and say he's a decent lad as well, so hopefully he comes good. Certainly has the talent and when he was partnered with the more experienced Mori looked even more assured, though Galloway made some very good last-ditch tackles and blocks as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.