"Behind Enemy Lines" - Aston Villa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cena

Player Valuation: £70m
EDIT: I emailed our leader this feature but I am aware he is a busy man, so I thought i'd post it here, hope he doesn't mind, if not i'll blame Muggins.

"This is the first in a series of 'Behind Enemy Lines' were we on GrandOldTeam ask an opposition fan's opinion on the upcoming game. First up, as we have Aston Villa on saturday, is the wondefully named Paul Rideout. I'll be honest, in my spell living down south, I played football both with and against Rides. As well as sharing the same name as our 95 FA Cup goalscoring hero, Rides is also a tricky winger"

1) Hi Rides, Welcome to GrandOldTeam, tell us a bit about yourself.

My name is Paul Rideout , i've just turned 30 and I live in Bournemouth. I have played semi professional football for 13 years and have a massive passion for the game.

2) How did you come to support Aston Villa?

Its a bit of a strange one, as my old man and twin brother both support (dirty) Leeds United. I guess I didn't want to be 'forced' into supporting a team and I also didn't want to opt for a top team to avoid being tagged a glory supporter ! I simply closed my eyes , hovered my finger above the last year of the old 1st division 1991/1992 and selected the mighty Villa ! We then came 2nd in the inaugural Premier league season 92/93 get in!

3) What do you make of new manager Paul Lambert?

I'm genuinely excited by his appointment. It's a massive boost in comparison with Alex Mcleish, who even before his Birmingham ties, i didn't rate as a manager. Lambert plays the right way, we'll have a lot more possession and should see a lot more goals too.

4) What are your expectations for the season?

In Lamberts first year, I can honestly say all I want to see is a more positive, attractive way of playing . It may sound negative but for his opening year I'd take a decent cup run and a top 10 finish.

5) The transfer window is still open, any more business to be done by Lambert?

I am pretty sure he is finished in the market , and I think he has brought well. We have a perfect mix of experience and youth, which is essential. Personally, and i know they are few and far between, I'd like another goal scorer to take the pressure off Darren Bent, and I'd love to see him make a move Michael Owen.

6) Which Villa players should Everton be worried about?

Brett Holman has had a good pre season, he is a tidy , energetic player, but I'd say the obvious danger man would be Bent. Top defenders like Jagielka and Baines can keep him quiet for 89 minutes but you know he can pop up with a goal at any time.

7) Now onto Everton, what memories do you have of Everton as a club?

My immediate thoughts go to Evertons FA Cup Final win in 95' Vs United. Mostly because of my namesakes winning goal after Graeme Stuarts shot had cannoned off the bar . Also when I think of Everton what springs to mind (all be it on a very large scale) is it is a local, family club which always seems to have a great passion and spirit within the team

8) Who do you rate as Everton's dangermen?

Firstly I'd say Felaini is the main threat, he seems to be a nuisance wherever Moyes plays him -mainly because of his aerial ability, but he is only a threat due to the quality service he gets , and in Leighton Baines I feel if you can get near him and stop him from playing , then you can reduce the impact Felaini has.

9) You have a spare £20 in your arse pocket and you have to bet on this weekends match, what is your score prediction and first goalscorer?

I'd normally avoid betting on this fixture as it is normally very un-predictable , but as its only a question I'd go for a low scoring game and villa to win 1-0 with Darren Bent to notch!

10) And finally, what are your feelings on Pineapple on Pizza?

Pineapple on pizza is a ruined pizza, and I can live with that, but being a southerner I feel much more strongly with gravy on chips and very happy you didn't ask that as there would have been plenty of expletives !!

Which current prem side do you feel is your 'bogey' side?
Which current prem side do you dislike the most and why?
Of this years league, who do you have pinned to be the surprise package?

Good feature mate.

Took me about five minutes to get me head around co-incidence of you having a mate called rideout though. I just though it was a sketch where Paul Rideout supported Villa, Weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.