Best centre back partnership.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buckers

No idea what’s going on.
Really starting to like the look of Coady and Tarks playing together. It made me start thinking about who our best centre back partnerships were in the past.

I struggled a bit to think of many. Lots of great individuals, Dave Watson, Stubbsy, Jagielka amongst others in my lifetime but unlike other clubs I couldn’t remember any great long-standing partners.

Just wondered who you all remember as being the best centre back partnerships we’ve had.

Jags Lescott, Weir and Gough i liked too, shame we got Gough right at the end of his days, ok those season under Smith werent great but i think if it wasnt for these two they could of been a lot worse

Jagielka and Lescott was the best since I really understood the game I think, and of course Jags with Distin and even Stones we’re strong partnerships.

The most important thing is the confidence and leadership with our new pairing though. I feel like I’ve spent years thinking we were going to concede every time there was an attack in every game we’ve played! The only time I actually thought we were conceding yesterday in the derby was that last minute Salah effort that Pickford somehow flicked onto the post and that was after 96 mins against top opposition.

I love seeing the talking between them and the whole team right now, it feels like a decent team coming together.

we had a spell under Martinez when it was Distin and Stones - certainly not claiming that to be our best but certainly one I look back on fondly!
Was going to say Distin & Stones too. Just felt like they really complemented each other by each being strong where the other was not. They were all the more impressive as a pair when you consider Martinez had absolutely no interest in the defensive side of the game.

Longer term, Ratcliffe & Mountfield were genuinely immense.

Status
Not open for further replies.