Best pound for pound boxer of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.

monty

Sack Sky and donate to GOT...donations are needed
This old chestnut came up in conversation at the weekend.

My mate argued for Marciano whilst I, as I have always done, argued in favour of the great Sugar Ray Robinson. many modern fans speak about Hagler, Leonard and at present Mayweather, so who do you think should be nominated 'Best of all time':biggrin:

hagler, as the finished article, especially at a time when the division had duran and hearns to contend with. robinson didnt 'fight' hagler, it was more of a dance than a bout.

tyson earns a mention because of his ferocious punching power, but the question is about boxing, and tyson was a fighter.

for boxing ability, eubank and watson are the contenders i put forward.

hagler, as the finished article, especially at a time when the division had duran and hearns to contend with. robinson didnt 'fight' hagler, it was more of a dance than a bout.

tyson earns a mention because of his ferocious punching power, but the question is about boxing, and tyson was a fighter.

for boxing ability, eubank and watson are the contenders i put forward.

I would rate Tyson that highly, certainly not as highly as once did. Hagler was a great fighter, and boxer so was Duran, Hearns had big question marks over his chin. Neither of them match Robinson in my book but they are certainly up there.

Eubank and Watson, both good boxers never achieved all that they should. Eubank, for all his bluff and bluster, lost his way once he hurt that lad, he took it to heart, although most would have it that he hasn't got one.

eubank is one of the british boxing greats, i cant believe i overlooked him already, calzaghe is an immense boxing talent, how many years as champion? now he has all 3 belts as well (i think) so is undisputed.

my favourite will always be benn, i accept he wasnt a full on queensbury boxer, but he liked a good tear-up and the bout was always a spectacle with him involved.

In fact, i have overlooked the real best once again, we will never really know who the best boxers would have been because castro doesnt let them turn pro.

imagine australian cricket improved ten fold, and then having them anhilate any opposition in the world, that is the comparrison i make when considering cuban boxing.

the most olympic champions, the most amateur world champions.

eubank is one of the british boxing greats, i cant believe i overlooked him already, 1 calzaghe is an immense boxing talent, how many years as champion? now he has all 3 belts as well (i think) so is undisputed.

my favourite will always be 2 benn, i accept he wasnt a full on queensbury boxer, but he liked a good tear-up and the bout was always a spectacle with him involved.

1 He always seems to box well within himself, I look forward to see him strecthed.

2 He always gave everything he had, loved the guy, as honest a fighter you could wish to meet

I'm ashamed to say i dont remember his name, not really a boxing fan, but the young welsh lightweight/featherweight from the 80's, sadly died as a result of a fight if i remember correctly, he was a great boxer.

I'm ashamed to say i dont remember his name, not really a boxing fan, but the young welsh lightweight/featherweight from the 80's, sadly died as a result of a fight if i remember correctly, he was a great boxer.

Was it Owen, or something like that, Suits do you know. There was nothing of the lad but he had a big heart, that I think was his downfall

touch before my time unfortunatley.

cant say i have heard much about clinton woods since his 'rico hoye' bout, maybe him and calzaghe will meet up after joe brushed manfredo aside in the final episode of 'the contender'.

Was it Owen, or something like that, Suits do you know. There was nothing of the lad but he had a big heart, that I think was his downfall

Sounds right Jim, not sure, but your right about one thing, the lad was brave beyond belief.

ray-leonard and lamotta deserve a mention as well in this thread. words cant do justice to either.

R/L is mentioned in my opening, Lamotta was beaten by Sugar Ray, he was as hard as nails, took all you could throw at him but couldn't beat Sugar Rays boxing skills.:shock:

R/L is mentioned in my opening, Lamotta was beaten by Sugar Ray, he was as hard as nails, took all you could throw at him but couldn't beat Sugar Rays boxing skills.:shock:

which suger-ray am i thinking of from, the lamotta fights, was it robinson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back