Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Big games that aren't big anymore

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 28206
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
The latest updates for which you've all been waiting.

You'll be pleased to know that Old Carthusians thumped Old Etonians away 5-0. Other notable results : a 6-3 win over Lancing Old Boys, and progression in the Arthur Dunn Cup (the 2nd oldest cup competition in the world) with an extra time penalty win over Old Wilsonians.

Old Carthusians sit second in the Arthurian Premier League, 2 points behind Old Foresters, but with two games in hand.

The latest updates for which you've all been waiting.

You'll be pleased to know that Old Carthusians thumped Old Etonians away 5-0. Other notable results : a 6-3 win over Lancing Old Boys, and progression in the Arthur Dunn Cup (the 2nd oldest cup competition in the world) with an extra time penalty win over Old Wilsonians.

Old Carthusians sit second in the Arthurian Premier League, 2 points behind Old Foresters, but with two games in hand.
Old news mate.

Old Carthusians well placed to win the the Arthurian League again - top leading by four points with two games in hand. In the semi final of the Arthur Dunn cup (the second oldest cup competition in the world) a replay needed after Old Carthusians drew 1-1 with Old Etonians. Old Etonians still after revenge for their defeat in the 1881 F A Cup Final.

Old Carthusians won the Arthur Dunne cup, beating Old Reptonians 3-1. They then went on to wallop Old Harrovians 8-2. They are champions of the Arthurian League with one game left.
An article on Old Carthusians and the early days of football in the nineteenth century which might be of interest to some, or not. Some great anecdotes ; particularly Darwen and their boots.

https://dbauckham.exposure.co/old-school-ties-part-6

Leeds vs anyone is a good call. Their fans bring a certain hostility with them that adds to the needle with whoever they play. As a massive club and having the city to themselves Leeds could easily get 50k every week in a new stadium. The PL needs Leeds.

AC Milan v Inter Milan has fallen a long way. Both teams have a few average players in their line ups these days and both unrecognizable. I'm sure this game still means a hell of lot locally but unless you're actually following Italian football weekly, you just don't look out for this game anymore. Maybe its just Italian football in general that has fallen but this game just isn't ' massive ' anymore for me.

Apart from my own clubs fixtures, there were others around the world i would really look forward to watching.

AC Milan v Inter Milan
Lazio v Roma
Madrid v Barcelona
Genoa v Sampdoria
Benfica v Porto
Celtic v Rangers
Man Utd v Arsenal
Boca Juniors v River Plate
Ajax v Feyenoord
Juventus v AC Milan

A good few of those fixtures just don't have the same pull for me.
Italian football has been overtaken by the riches of the PL, so we no longer look at Serie A in awe. Every game (and most teams) had world class attackers. Van Basten, Gullit (AC Milan), Batistuta, Rui Costa (Fiorentina), Baggio, Vialli (Juventus), Mancini, Chiesa (Sampdoria), Ronaldo, Vieiri (Inter), Asprillia, Zola (Parma), Totti, Giannini (Roma), Signori, Nedved (Lazio)...even the lower teams spent big, Platt at Bari, Brian Roy at Foggia. Gazza was good in fits and starts. Some others, Zidane, Del Piero, Veron, Seedorf, Weah, Crespo. The league was flooded with talent. Could have named the entire AC Milan XI about 10 years ago, now I couldn't name one player (seen a line up recently and didn't recognise one). Without the stars their isn't the same pull.

I think what's also happened is we are saturated with coverage so games don't have the same mystique. Id extend this to the World Cup also. Loved Italia 90 in discovering Lothar Mattheus, Dragan Stojkovic, Georghe Hagi, Roger Milla, Claudio Caniggia, Enzo Scifo, Toto Schillaci....nowadays we know just about everyone beforehand, there isn't that excitement of seeing someone new anymore.

Leeds vs anyone is a good call. Their fans bring a certain hostility with them that adds to the needle with whoever they play. As a massive club and having the city to themselves Leeds could easily get 50k every week in a new stadium. The PL needs Leeds.

Italian football has been overtaken by the riches of the PL, so we no longer look at Serie A in awe. Every game (and most teams) had world class attackers. Van Basten, Gullit (AC Milan), Batistuta, Rui Costa (Fiorentina), Baggio, Vialli (Juventus), Mancini, Chiesa (Sampdoria), Ronaldo, Vieiri (Inter), Asprillia, Zola (Parma), Totti, Giannini (Roma), Signori, Nedved (Lazio)...even the lower teams spent big, Platt at Bari, Brian Roy at Foggia. Gazza was good in fits and starts. Some others, Zidane, Del Piero, Veron, Seedorf, Weah, Crespo. The league was flooded with talent. Could have named the entire AC Milan XI about 10 years ago, now I couldn't name one player (seen a line up recently and didn't recognise one). Without the stars their isn't the same pull.

I think what's also happened is we are saturated with coverage so games don't have the same mystique. Id extend this to the World Cup also. Loved Italia 90 in discovering Lothar Mattheus, Dragan Stojkovic, Georghe Hagi, Roger Milla, Claudio Caniggia, Enzo Scifo, Toto Schillaci....nowadays we know just about everyone beforehand, there isn't that excitement of seeing someone new anymore.

Deffo agree with the over saturation thing.

The world cup was boss back in the day as it was your only real chance to see the likes of Brazil and all these magical mysterious players like Zico, Socrates, Falcao, Junior etc that you never really got the chance to see.

Nowadays you get the likes of Angola qualifying with players who play for League One clubs etc. Its pretty rubbish there is no mystique left in football other than getting a North Korea or someone qualifying.

I miss dark horse East European powerhouses as well with the games being broadcast down a telephone line whilst Brian Moore sounds like he is locked up in the bog doing his commentary. 90,000 fans on hand making a crowd noise that didn't sound like the ones over here (kind of like a white noise buzz) whilst the front row of the stand was full of moody looking army men in big coats with dogs.

Anyone who's seriously posted a foreign game in this thread is one bad beaut.

Just because your still stuck on channels one to five you utter Neanderthal. There is a world out there to explore, embrace the foreigners and their birth places Friend.

By explore, I mean stream football from all over Europe...

Rival media channels are all over football. In their desperation to hype up a big game they inevitably go over the top and the eventual match can't live up to it.

Language itself has become cheapened. Words like Brilliant or Tragedy are bandied about in commentary and reportage and lose their gravitas.

A decade and a half ago Arsenal v Man United was the biggest game of the season.

Usually always played a decisive role in the title race.

They played each other yesterday and barely anyone noticed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back