Bill Kenwright

Tbh somebody should tear it down again*. I'll throw in a tenner, anybody else? I'm sure if we got a few hundred together we could find a new owner for it.

*this is written in jest and in no way meant to be taken seriously
The very fact that egomaniac thought he was worth a place on the timeline speaks volumes. Now, granted, that timeline should have effectively ended after the 1995 cup win, and there is a lot of filler keeping it going until today, but this was a Stalinist cult of personality stunt by Blue Bill that should have had everyone alarmed. The sheer effrontery of the man, ranking himself up there with title wins, cup victories, football firsts, and Dixie Dean. Incredible.

The very fact that egomaniac thought he was worth a place on the timeline speaks volumes. Now, granted, that timeline should have effectively ended after the 1995 cup win, and there is a lot of filler keeping it going until today, but this was a Stalinist cult of personality stunt by Blue Bill that should have had everyone alarmed. The sheer effrontery of the man, ranking himself up there with title wins, cup victories, football firsts, and Dixie Dean. Incredible.
The absolute height of hubris mate! Which I guess is six feet under now.

The absolute height of hubris mate! Which I guess is six feet under now.
It's one thing for Kewnright to think he was worth it, it's quite another for supporters to imagine a stand at the new stadium being named after him. I mean, why? What did he win? Evertonians wonder why standards have slipped, yet seemed to go along with this man, essentially, absorbing the club into his own personal identity and public image. He, basically, consumed the club. And was clapped for it and passionately defended in the process.

For all his sensible interjections on the points deduction, I lost quite a bit of regard for Andy Burnham for his prominent eulogising of Kewnright recently. It was as if he was in denial about the link between the Chairman-for-Life and the near-death experience the club is now enduring.

It's one thing for Kewnright to think he was worth it, it's quite another for supporters to imagine a stand at the new stadium being named after him. I mean, why? What did he win? Evertonians wonder why standards have slipped, yet seemed to go along with this man, essentially, absorbing the club into his own personal identity and public image. He, basically, consumed the club. And was clapped for it and passionately defended in the process.

For all his sensible interjections on the points deduction, I lost quite a bit of regard for Andy Burnham for his prominent eulogising of Kewnright recently. It was as if he was in denial about the link between the Chairman-for-Life and the near-death experience the club is now enduring.
That opening statement/tribute page to him in the latest set of financial statements was quite staggering.

You'd swear he was some sort of Evertonian hero.
Then it's promptly followed by a horrendous set of accounts showing how dire the current circumstances of the club are.

And as you said... No link between the two, yet any man with a bit of common sense would be able to make the connection! 😤

No one can argue that football didn’t changed within his ownership. I don’t doubt he would have been a better owner that Peter Johnson at the time, but he was in a millionaire owner in billionaires time.
Wrong man, wrong time.

I lost quite a bit of regard for Andy Burnham for his prominent eulogising of Kewnright recently. It was as if he was in denial about the link between the Chairman-for-Life and the near-death experience the club is now enduring.
I missed this, who was he talking to? I'd like to read up on it to get angry all over again.

No one can argue that football didn’t changed within his ownership. I don’t doubt he would have been a better owner that Peter Johnson at the time, but he was in a millionaire owner in billionaires time.
Wrong man, wrong time.
Any defence of Kewnright collapses when you reel off the "smaller clubs" who won trophies during his tenure. In the Kewnright reading, it was impossible to compete. Yet Leicester blew that argument out of the water, winning the League, FA Cup, and League Cup (in two separate decades). And that's before you talk about Wigan Athletic, Swansea City, Middlesbrough, Birmingham City, and Blackburn Rovers all winning FA Cups or League Cups during his tenure. Even David Moyes ended up winning a trophy - at a smaller club. Why is that?

Any defence of Kewnright collapses when you reel off the "smaller clubs" who won trophies during his tenure. In the Kewnright reading, it was impossible to compete. Yet Leicester blew that argument out of the water, winning the League, FA Cup, and League Cup (in two separate decades). And that's before you talk about Wigan Athletic, Swansea City, Middlesbrough, Birmingham City, and Blackburn Rovers all winning FA Cups or League Cups during his tenure. Even David Moyes ended up winning a trophy - at a smaller club. Why is that?
Just checking to see where all those teams are now 👀… not sure any of there owners are to be held up in comparison. (Leicester apart - although he had a questionable record in Thailand)
Cups are 90% luck. Luck of the draw, big game moment, shock results…
We deserved a trophy during moyes reign. We were a decent outfit.
I’m not even defending, kenwright wasn’t an owner to take us forward but if your not a billionaire you can’t invest like one…

The fact that the timeline was rescued from the ship canal and put back up speaks volumes.
I am amazed it is still up there I would doubt it would last too long if we are relegated

Wrong man, wrong time.

Then why didn't he sell up ? A certain Mr Gregg would have bought his shares, after all his wife bought Bill's for him. Its been all over the Internet and radio mate, if selfish arse would have sold his shares we could then have afforded Kings Dock stadium. No excuse.