Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

billy osman gueye

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he was massively overated, he had a very good 8 months for us - when Arteta was out. Not a bad player, he was an outlet for me, made up yards, took up a player or two nothing more nothing less. He simply wasnt effective, you look at players that most clubs fans would turn their nose up at - Hunt, Etterington, Brunt, Osman - all more effective then Pienaar in terms of assists, goals and frankly they all have fairly similar work rates as well.

We massively overatted him for me, it was the cornrows and the Ajax thing. I havnt heard anyone say since he left, that we badly miss him.

He didn't get many assists because his game was all about bringing Baines into play; Baines got the assists. I know people are saying Baines has been as good, maybe even better, since he left... and that might be true. But no one has replicated that near-psychic understanding they had. It was fantastic to watch.

Now, he didn't score enough goals. I won't argue there. He had a tendency to overplay it, and shirk shooting.

Osman better than Pienaar? Behave boys, Stevie had been our best player for a year and a half before he left
Im not saying that Osman is far off him, he does have a scouse tackle in him when he's in the thick of it and he has got wonderful ball control and quick feet, but Pienaar's creativity was something else at times
A lot of people begrudge him for his move but the fact that he was still one of our best players in the first few months of this season and was still working his balls off trying to make things happen for the team even though he probably knew he was getting off showed to me that there was still at least a little bit of loyalty left in the lad
Id like to think that if we'd started the season as a lot of us expected and been close to the Champions League spots after a few months he would have signed the contract being offered

He didn't get many assists because his game was all about bringing Baines into play; Baines got the assists. I know people are saying Baines has been as good, maybe even better, since he left... and that might be true. But no one has replicated that near-psychic understanding they had. It was fantastic to watch.

Now, he didn't score enough goals. I won't argue there. He had a tendency to overplay it, and shirk shooting.

But then Ossie has done with Bainsey as well - while getting amongst the goals and assists - Bainsey is a monster in terms of assists and goals. Just saying like, i remember Pienaar looking all flash making short passes on the edge of the box, tip tapping it with intricate play, allowing teams to set up against us, he was never really direct and because of that effective either.

I think hes finished now at Spurs to be honest as well.

But then Ossie has done with Bainsey as well - while getting amongst the goals and assists - Bainsey is a monster in terms of assists and goals. Just saying like, i remember Pienaar looking all flash making short passes on the edge of the box, tip tapping it with intricate play, allowing teams to set up against us, he was never really direct and because of that effective. I think hes finsihed now at Spurs to be honest as well.

I'm not imagining it, I don't think; Baines seems to spend less time marauding forward than he used to. I know this because I spend most of the game looking where Baines is and screaming "PASS IT TO BAINES FFS" :lol:

I think he's still getting assists simply because of the quality of his ball when he does get forward. And well, now he's first choice set piece taker, as tets is injured.

I'm not imagining it, I don't think; Baines seems to spend less time marauding forward than he used to. I know this because I spend most of the game looking where Baines is and screaming "PASS IT TO BAINES FFS" :lol:

I think he's still getting assists simply because of the quality of his ball when he does get forward. And well, now he's first choice set piece taker, as tets is injured.

I have to say mate, i think Bainseys game has moved to another level, i think he has been far more productive since Pienaar has left becuase as a team we are more direct.

Think of the goals against Wolves and the other we have scored latley, Beckfords is a classic example we had them on the back foot, the other two goals were scored from secondry balls from chances made by being direct for Billy and Neville. Pienaar would put his foot on the ball, try play a one two or lay it of short, that meant teams had time to regroup, get in position and set up against us defensively. We frustrateingly found it impossible to break teams down when he was with us and he was part of that, purely becuase we werent direct enough and gave the opposition time to think, set up and defend.

We now have a first wave of attack and a second wave, we saw it produce three goals on Sat. Compare that to the home game against Wolves, where they snuffed us out and stiffled us, as we played tip tap around their box for most of the game, before we got sucker punched. How many times this season have we seen or said we spanked team but just couldnt break them down, a lot less since the end of Jan to be fair. I think we are unbeaten since Early Feb - coincidence!.

Our results and to be honest our overall chance making has really picked up since he left, im not slateing him, he was a decent player, but massively overatted IMO, in many ways we are far more effective. Thats my point about him if im honest, what he had in flair he lacked in directness, effectivenss and end product.

Watch and see he will be laughed out of Spurs and be the subject of ridicule.

Last edited:

I have to say mate, i think Bainseys game has moved to another level, i think he has been far more productive since Pienaar has left becuase as a team we are more direct.

Think of the goals against Wolves and the other we have scored latley, Beckfords is a classic example we had them on the back foot, the other two goals were scored from secondry balls from chances made by being direct for Billy and Neville. Pienaar would put his foot on the ball, try play a one two or lay it of short, that meant teams had time to regroup, get in position and set up against us defensively. We frustrateingly found it impossible to break teams when he was with us and he was part of that, purely becuase we werent direct enough and gave the opposition time to think, set up and defend.

We now have a first wave of attack and a second wave now, we saw it produce three goals on Sat. Compare that to the home game against Wolves, where they snuffed us out and stiffled us, as we played tip ap around their box for most of the game, before we got sucker punched.

Our results and to be honest our overall chance making has really picked up since he left, im not slateing him, he was a decent player, but massively overatted IMO, in many ways we are far more effective. Thats my point about him if im honest, what he had in flair he lacked in directness, effectivenss and end product.
A good point well argued. I rated Pienaar very highly but the most frustrating thing about the first few months of this season was the tip-tap stuff around the opposition area, and that does seem to have subsided a fair bit since Pienaar left. We should be wary to conflate correlation with causation though, I'm sure Moyes has been trying to get the side to be more direct. Maybe the penny would've dropped with or without Pienaar.

True some of his play was a little slow rather than direct and i agree that we've become more direct since he left but i just loved the fact that we had a player who was so skillful and creative
Although i am starting to agree from reading the posts that the team is probably better off without him i recon individually he was one of the most gifted players to play for the club in the last decade or so

so do you all not think the free-form midfield we employed against wolves could, at least for the time being solve the issue of who to play in the centre out of osman and bily? they both did shifts both on the wing and in the middle, and it seemed effective to me.

edit: and imo its useless to compare either to pienaar. he's gone now, and we seem to be getting on just fine without him, though he was undoubtedly excellent for us at times. i really don't think his playing style is comparable to either of them.

Gents agree to compare Piennar and Ossie is futile, one is with us and playing well, one is with Spurs and looking at his future. Sorry but that is one club I absolutely hate, the "media darlings". One of the best nights ever was our 2-1 win at the lane in 1985 with Nev's save of the century from Falco.

Actually I think Pienaar did try through the first part of the season, he did not put in less effort, it was just that the balance of the side seemed to change without really changing the players. Yes we were a bit more tippy tappy but I don't think he was the only one, Mikel anyone, it will remain a mystery to us all!!! with the exception of the Moyles hate brigade!!

Anyway I also agree that the fluidity of the attacking midfield 3 did suit us, and when they are all creating and scoring chances then that gives the opposition a lot to think about.

Think of the goals against Wolves and the other we have scored latley, Beckfords is a classic example we had them on the back foot, the other two goals were scored from secondry balls from chances made by being direct for Billy and Neville. Pienaar would put his foot on the ball, try play a one two or lay it of short, that meant teams had time to regroup, get in position and set up against us defensively. We frustrateingly found it impossible to break teams down when he was with us and he was part of that, purely becuase we werent direct enough and gave the opposition time to think, set up and defend.

We now have a first wave of attack and a second wave, we saw it produce three goals on Sat. Compare that to the home game against Wolves, where they snuffed us out and stiffled us, as we played tip tap around their box for most of the game, before we got sucker punched. How many times this season have we seen or said we spanked team but just couldnt break them down, a lot less since the end of Jan to be fair. I think we are unbeaten since Early Feb - coincidence!.

Watch and see he will be laughed out of Spurs and be the subject of ridicule.

Great post. Couldn't agree more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back