Blackburn 0-0 Everton - 2nd Feb 15:00

Status
Not open for further replies.
well the transfers window has passed.
boyle viddarsson jutkiewicz and kissock are all out on loan.
mcfadden da silva and stubbs have gone and been replaced by 2 loans , fernandes and gardner.

not a brilliant transfer window imo but not too bad either.
i think it shows a bit of over confidence in the players we have or perhaps not enough endevour by the club to consolodate our place in europe or the league.

2 things worry me.
1. our lack of quality of attacking wide players. osman , pienaar and arteta are our only players who can adequatly play wide.(not counting vdm)the thing that also worries me here is the beleif that moyes wil play neville as a wide player.now imo neville is more a good kilbane type of player rather than a poor giggs type of player.i can see a lack of amunition for our strikers to get goals due to this.
2. a lot of our team are loans or coming to the end of there contracts, do we buy pienaar and fernandes ? carsley gardner valente and wessels need replacing or new contracts.will that leave any money left for 'new' players ? thats 5 or 6 squad positions that need addressing in the summer !

and now we face blackburn a day after the window shuts and we only just have enough players to put out a team...

442..(almost the team moyes played against spurs)
i think osman and cahil are injured.

............Howard

hibbert, Jagielka, Lescott, Valente.

Neville, Fernandes, Carsley, Arteta,

...........Johnson, Anichebe.

wessels
baines
gosling
vdm
Vaughan

we are down to the minimum , the team looks slightly unbalanced in midfeild , although looks tough to break down.

im going for a 0-0 boring draw.

ps now that he may get a opportunity to play , what are the chances of vdm becoming good at last ?
im not holding my breath.

edit: on the os vdm is not up for selection neither is gardner.
there are 16 players listed for the match , 2 of which are cahill and osman. if either play they wont be 100%.

Last edited:
Yeah, we're down to the bare bones with all the injuries and ACON. Baines can play left midfield if we need numbers.

I reckon we'll do well to get a draw. We just seem to lack a cutting edge at the moment - understandably.

well the transfers window has passed.
boyle viddarsson jutkiewicz and kissock are all out on loan.
mcfadden da silva and stubbs have gone and been replaced by 2 loans , fernandes and gardner.

not a brilliant transfer window imo but not too bad either.
i think it shows a bit of over confidence in the players we have or perhaps not enough endevour by the club to consolodate our place in europe or the league.

2 things worry me.
1. our lack of quality of attacking wide players. osman , pienaar and arteta are our only players who can adequatly play wide.(not counting vdm)the thing that also worries me here is the beleif that moyes wil play neville as a wide player.now imo neville is more a good kilbane type of player rather than a poor giggs type of player.i can see a lack of amunition for our strikers to get goals due to this.
2. a lot of our team are loans or coming to the end of there contracts, do we buy pienaar and fernandes ? carsley gardner valente and wessels need replacing or new contracts.will that leave any money left for 'new' players ? thats 5 or 6 squad positions that need addressing in the summer !

and now we face blackburn a day after the window shuts and we only just have enough players to put out a team...

442..(almost the team moyes played against spurs)
i think osman and cahil are injured.

............Howard

hibbert, Jagielka, Lescott, Valente.

Neville, Fernandes, Carsley, Arteta,

...........Johnson, Anichebe.

wessels
baines
gosling
vdm
Vaughan

we are down to the minimum , the team looks slightly unbalanced in midfeild , although looks tough to break down.

im going for a 0-0 boring draw.

ps now that he may get a opportunity to play , what are the chances of vdm becoming good at last ?
im not holding my breath.

edit: on the os vdm is not up for selection neither is gardner.
there are 16 players listed for the match , 2 of which are cahill and osman. if either play they wont be 100%.

I agree your team with one exception, I think vaughan should start for once, a bit more speed up front because in all likelihood we will be playing a fair bit of hoof ball, just like Rovers

Sorry to be a negative nelly here (christ I'm turning into ned flanders), but I can't see us getting even a draw today.

Blackburn are a great side and even missing the defensive rock of Samba at the back, we will find it difficult to break them down.

I can't see the service to the front being that good, what with our injuries and the paucity of midfielders available. WE may well see Baines in midfield or Neville on the right wing, to many compromises from the starting 11 against a quality side that but for a slice of McFadden magic would have beat us at home earlier in the season. Doubt we will be getting many chances in this game - and AJ needs to take every chance he gets - something he's not necessarily been doing this season.

I think we should go 4-4-2 simply because I'm almost certain Blackburn will score and we should have as much of a go as possible to do the same - injuries may well dictate the formation anyway. Someone like Vaughany rediscovering his scoring mojo (all it will take is some starts in the first team) could swing the balance.

Pressure will be on Valente to contain the speed, trickery and skill of Bentley and to prevent him from delivering his deadly crosses to the height of Santa Cruz (hopefully Lescott can stay on him, as Jags can look susceptible to high balls).

We'll need to fight as well, as all things considered they are still a bit of a dirty team under Hughes, with tackles flying in everywhere. (they have the most bookings of any team in the prem).

Should be an interesting game but I think they will edge it. They are unbeaten in the last six and are one of the form sides.

A draw, whilst not ideal for the prize we are chasing would be a good result.

Blackburn to edge it 2-1.

Last edited:
i agree. while the squad is thread bare a draw would bo a very good result. and as we are 2 points clear of the rest we will still be right in there even if the others win.

0-0 is my prediction. ouch... 2 on the trot. what a bunch of grinders!

i agree. while the squad is thread bare a draw would bo a very good result. and as we are 2 points clear of the rest we will still be right in there even if the others win.

0-0 is my prediction. ouch... 2 on the trot. what a bunch of grinders!

As I said, I can't see blackburn not scoring so more like a 1-1 draw if we get a draw.

I think they'll have the edge today, but would be ecstatic to get a win..

Be nice to get a penalty this season, we have had a few certain pens turned down already.

Our central defence and defensive midfield has to be as solid as it has been in the past few games, whereas I think their weakness could be in the same area, especially if AJ, Victor and Vaughan can wear them down.

well if fernandez and arteta play to the maximum we might be ok. the problem is i can't remember arteta's last good game away from home.

I don't think Hibbert will start with Nev right mid, I think it will be the same team as against Spurs. I think we'll win 1-0 or 2-0, but Blackburn will have their chances. I'm backing a strike off a nice Fernandes pass, and Lescott from a corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back