Homepage Article Blackpool View On Ellis Simms

Status
Not open for further replies.
....has he signed a new contract?

Regardless, i wouldn’t send him on loan next season. Can’t work out why we give Broadhead a new deal at 22 and keep him here, then send Simms on loan. Assumption is, the club rate Broadhead as a better prospect.

if we sign another striker, Simms goes further back in the queue.
Looks odd that the club offers him a deal at 22. A bit like Penno.

....has he signed a new contract?

Regardless, i wouldn’t send him on loan next season. Can’t work out why we give Broadhead a new deal at 22 and keep him here, then send Simms on loan. Assumption is, the club rate Broadhead as a better prospect.

if we sign another striker, Simms goes further back in the queue.

...I really don’t understand that. You say, he’s been told the contract is only for PL2 & he won’t have a chance of 1st team consideration? I find it staggering we offer such a deal.

...sorry, Matey, you obviously know what he’s been told. You have that over me.

Pennington had played a number of games, he’d been (wrongly) promised an extension by Walsh. This is different. I accept you are obviously closer to this than me.

If Broadhead is extended by a season perhaps it benefits the u23s? Some of the highly rated players in that side may improve with him in the side...helping them to develop.

Simms i think an extension and loan would put him in the shop window and we could ask for a fee.

If Broadhead is extended by a season perhaps it benefits the u23s? Some of the highly rated players in that side may improve with him in the side...helping them to develop.

Simms i think an extension and loan would put him in the shop window and we could ask for a fee.

….Broadhead trains with the first team & I think he was with the match day squad more than Simms last season. I can only guess he was offered an extension because they think he has a chance.

I think Broadhead has more talent than Simms but its about being effective and Simms is demonstrating his effectiveness. I suspect his performances on loan have surprised the club.

….Broadhead trains with the first team & I think he was with the match day squad more than Simms last season. I can only guess he was offered an extension because they think he has a chance.

I think Broadhead has more talent than Simms but its about being effective and Simms is demonstrating his effectiveness. I suspect his performances on loan have surprised the club.
Age and potential is a big factor mate , that is Simms is younger and scored more goals than Broadhead in League 1at a similar age. I think you can say that a whole host of youngsters, Broadhead, Gordon, Dobbin, have more natural talent than Simms , but he’s developing every season and in the past three seasons has scored regularly at u18, U23 , and League 1.... hopefully next season the Championship.

Age and potential is a big factor mate , that is Simms is younger and scored more goals than Broadhead in League 1at a similar age. I think you can say that a whole host of youngsters, Broadhead, Gordon, Dobbin, have more natural talent than Simms , but he’s developing every season and in the past three seasons has scored regularly at u18, U23 , and League 1.... hopefully next season the Championship.

…absolutely, and physicality. I like the fact that Simms was a prolific goalscorer at youth level, he genuinely ‘knows where the goal is’.

...I really don’t understand that. You say, he’s been told the contract is only for PL2 & he won’t have a chance of 1st team consideration? I find it staggering we offer such a deal.

We often offer deals like this - have done for years. The U23s need enough players to field a side and remain competitive in their league whilst we loan out some of the better prospects to get first team football experience.

The fact Simms has been out on loan and Broadhead has been playing in the U23s says to me that we have higher hopes for Simms.

Not remotely worried that we've offered Broadhead a new deal

We often offer deals like this - have done for years. The U23s need enough players to field a side and remain competitive in their league whilst we loan out some of the better prospects to get first team football experience.

The fact Simms has been out on loan and Broadhead has been playing in the U23s says to me that we have higher hopes for Simms.

Not remotely worried that we've offered Broadhead a new deal

….history shows our best young players don’t go out on loan, they get used. My point with Simms is we struggled for back-up striking power last season so it was an ideal opportunity to bring a young player into the fold. Even before he went on loan, I think Simms made the bench once.

My assumption is that he wasn’t too highly rated or considered (Vaughan, Rooney, Branch, Anichebe all made their debuts at a much younger age). The club didn’t look to extend Simms contract before he went on loan. I might have this entirely wrong, but I suspect Simms performances at Blackpool have been a surprise to Brands & the coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.