Bobbys pay off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok...let me put it another way. Let's say we finished a lackluster 8th, 7th, or 6th and out of Europe and not being within a sniff of CL places in his first season. Would Martinez have gotten the funds that he did? What if he finished 10th?

I think a lot on here expected a drop off in that first season...myself included. He exceeded expectations in virtually everyway in 13/14 and had us dreaming of CL football. That is why he was given the extra TV money to spend. No way in hell does he get all of that money otherwise.

5th wasn't exceeding expectations for Everton back then. It only is now after 2 successive seasons of bottom half turgid football. Kenwright did not open the purse up when Moyes was finishing fourth or fifth, our increased expenditure under Martinez followed league trend as clubs started to anticipate the tv money.

5th wasn't exceeding expectations for Everton back then. It only is now after 2 successive seasons of bottom half turgid football. Kenwright did not open the purse up when Moyes was finishing fourth or fifth, our increased expenditure under Martinez followed league trend as clubs started to anticipate the tv money.

It most certainly was in a season of transition. You can't honestly say that you expected 5th place with the highest point total since the 80's in his first season.

You what?

I was talking about Moyes .... Saying that if he had stayed we wouldn't have ended up like we had under bobby... You then said his approach had become stale and moshiri wasn't having him from day one... My response was... Moshiri wasn't there to make that decision as Moyes left 3 years ago... Got a feeling that you and me have been talking about bobby and Moyes seperatley ...

I was talking about Moyes .... Saying that if he had stayed we wouldn't have ended up like we had under bobby... You then said his approach had become stale and moshiri wasn't having him from day one... My response was... Moshiri wasn't there to make that decision as Moyes left 3 years ago... Got a feeling that you and me have been talking about bobby and Moyes seperatley ...

Err?

I think your last line is probably correct.

All over the place.

doubt if HK or JR would have ripped Everton off for that kind of money. this has completely tarnished his rep as a decent feller as well as a crap football manager.

We came 11th. technically that is bottom half but usually that is deemed as "mid table". Still not great but not as drastic as some are making out.

We came 11th. technically that is bottom half but usually that is deemed as "mid table". Still not great but not as drastic as some are making out.

In 14/15 we had a week of absolute panic when Villa got a shock win and we were 3 points off the relegation zone in the second half of the season. Should never have even been a concern for a squad of that quality. Winning a few when the pressure was off at the end of the season massaged the league table but the two campaigns were a disgrace.

In 14/15 we had a week of absolute panic when Villa got a shock win and we were 3 points off the relegation zone in the second half of the season. Should never have even been a concern for a squad of that quality. Winning a few when the pressure was off at the end of the season massaged the league table but the two campaigns were a disgrace.

Disgrace is far too OTT for me. It wasnt great which is we he was rightfully let go but it was always going to be hard to take over someone who had been in the job for so long and ultimately he failed in doing so.

I genuinely don't get the bile towards him though. He tried, always spoke well of the club, brought some good players in yet in the end it didnt work out. So what? It happens at every club, the club has moved on, the fans should do the same.

Disgrace is far too OTT for me. It wasnt great which is we he was rightfully let go but it was always going to be hard to take over someone who had been in the job for so long and ultimately he failed in doing so.

I genuinely don't get the bile towards him though. He tried, always spoke well of the club, brought some good players in yet in the end it didnt work out. So what? It happens at every club, the club has moved on, the fans should do the same.

this - I've nothing against RM for trying - he always stuck by his principles and always wanted what was best for the club.

Unfortunately that stubborness got the best of him.

Disgrace is far too OTT for me.

A lot of people on here are concentrating purely on league finish / positions at certain times in a season, i.e. 11th is mid-table, 11th is bottom half, we were 3 points off relegation in April, etc etc.

The main point with Bobby, for me, was that for two seasons, watching Everton play was (for most part) genuinely such a boring chore that I could barely muster the enthusiasm to tune in. I recall some matches at around 65 minutes thinking "will this game ever end?". No enthusiasm, no drive, no desire, no signs of anything remotely changing. That, for me, is why it was a disgrace.

He was nowhere near as bad as people make out. Some even suggest he was worse/as bad as Mike. Unreal.

Ultimately the divide between the players and the manager destroyed any chance of him getting a fourth season. That relationship deterioration was purely the fault of the manager.

You've got pro's like Jags, Baines etc who know from personal experience that, in this league, defending corners and crosses is vital. RM chose to largely ignore that and them. No wonder they stopped playing for him.

What isn't is fault is the ageing squad he was left with. He got every ounce of form out of Howard, Osman, Distin, Pienaar before they crumbled. Throw on top of that the lack of strikers and pace in the side and his paltry transfer kitty could only cover cover it in stages. Ultimately he ran out of time (and cash).

Niasse was his only disaster signing for me in terms of quality and/or cost. It was absolute desperation from him as he knew the reaper was closing in.

I can help you with that, it was the fact he seemed delusional about what was happening around him and the performances we were getting. throwing away points like it were out of fashion and telling us all it was not him and iy was not that bad.

Reminded me of the black knight from monty python not seeing how bad it was getting. Saying things are getting better when it clearly wasn't.

Made the club and himself a laughing stock

Status
Not open for further replies.