Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brazil Manager Tite:

Can you explain your decision at the end of 2013 to take a break from coaching for a year, travel the world and study football?

I’ve always studied football and wanted to expand my knowledge, my ideas. When I left Corinthians, it was the perfect opportunity to study other coaches and teams to a greater degree, first-hand. I’d won everything I could at club level – the Campeonato Brasileiro, the Libertadores, the Club World Cup, where we beat Chelsea. I thought the next step was the Seleção and I wanted to improve myself as a coach as best as I could. I read books on Simeone, Guardiola. I studied what Bianchi achieved at Boca Juniors and Cruyff achieved at Barcelona. Football is different all over the world, each place has different things you can learn. I went to meet up with Bianchi and hear his ideas, which were very insightful. I spent time at Arsenal. I spent time with Ancelotti at Real Madrid. I studied Manchester City, the English champions, Bayern Munich, the German champions. I sought to learn everything – the stuff behind the scenes, the training, the tactics and what happens on the pitch. Everything. I watched all the matches at the 2014 World Cup, took notes, broke them down. That period was very important for my career.

Which coach have you learned the most from?

Ancelotti. The way Simeone organises his teams is remarkable. Guardiola, his offensive tactics, ability to break teams down is really impressive. Bianchi has an incredible ability to get the best out of his players in big finals. Some of Cruyff’s tactical ideas were fantastic. But I without doubt learned the most from Ancelotti. He sees the game in a different and unique way.

The best managers in the world are in awe of our manager, that’s the difference. He’s the manager who schooled Pep’s Bayern team in the 13/14 CL semi final, and then found a way to beat Simeone’s Atletico in the final. Those two opponents couldn’t be different yet Ancelotti found the way to beat them both. That’s what makes him absolutely brilliant. It’s not just plan A, he has 100 different plans and a lot of times he finds the one that works.

This is the hardest bit for him right now. His competitors have better players than him, we have spending restrictions, we have players and staff scarred by decades of failure. Yet he is still challenging for top 4 and has led us to two quarter finals.

If we can get European football, better players, and start to make more funds available as we get out of our FFP hole I genuinely think he’ll have us challenging for everything.

Nah that’s just not true. His record wasn’t good enough against those teams, there’s no need to embellish it. Also maybe look at our record at those places before he took over before you regurgitate the lazy myth that Moyes ‘started’ that issue.

Ive never liked those stats because I just think they’re pointless. Moyes improved the standard of the team to a point where when we were on form and playing well we put in some decent performances at all those grounds. We were a 90 minute plus deflection away from winning well at the Emirates for example. There were a lot of draws at that time, even at Anfield, and we did get wins at City and Spurs also. I’d much rather have some odd statistic hang over us and be a decent side than be a bottom of the table team like a Palace who scraped a win at Chelsea or Liverpool one year but lose convincingly the rest of the time.

A few bounces of the ball the other way and Moyes has a couple of away wins at the top 4 and probably a couple more losses as well. It wouldn’t have changed anything he did for us as a manager though. He can be rightly criticised for some things but odd stats like that always just seem petty. Martinez broke the run in his first away game at Old Trafford against a poor United team that even then we were fortunate to beat. Did that do anything for his tenure long term? No.

Ive never liked those stats because I just think they’re pointless. Moyes improved the standard of the team to a point where when we were on form and playing well we put in some decent performances at all those grounds. We were a 90 minute plus deflection away from winning well at the Emirates for example. There were a lot of draws at that time, even at Anfield, and we did get wins at City and Spurs also. I’d much rather have some odd statistic hang over us and be a decent side than be a bottom of the table team like a Palace who scraped a win at Chelsea or Liverpool one year but lose convincingly the rest of the time.

A few bounces of the ball the other way and Moyes has a couple of away wins at the top 4 and probably a couple more losses as well. It wouldn’t have changed anything he did for us as a manager though. He can be rightly criticised for some things but odd stats like that always just seem petty. Martinez broke the run in his first away game at Old Trafford against a poor United team that even then we were fortunate to beat. Did that do anything for his tenure long term? No.
Yep, agree with all of that. I looked it up after that comment yesterday, we drew 19 of those games, so almost half. It’s not good enough, but the idea we always lost is just daft. I’ll never understand what it is about Moyes that means some people have to blame him for everything, but I’m used to it now at least.

The best managers in the world are in awe of our manager, that’s the difference. He’s the manager who schooled Pep’s Bayern team in the 13/14 CL semi final, and then found a way to beat Simeone’s Atletico in the final. Those two opponents couldn’t be different yet Ancelotti found the way to beat them both. That’s what makes him absolutely brilliant. It’s not just plan A, he has 100 different plans and a lot of times he finds the one that works.

This is the hardest bit for him right now. His competitors have better players than him, we have spending restrictions, we have players and staff scarred by decades of failure. Yet he is still challenging for top 4 and has led us to two quarter finals.

If we can get European football, better players, and start to make more funds available as we get out of our FFP hole I genuinely think he’ll have us challenging for everything.

Such an exciting few paragraphs to read. Amazing to have him here!

If he's available at a reasonable price I would have Barkley back. I know this will be an unpopular opinion but with Ancelotti giving him instructions he could be the difference. Alongside Allan and Doucoure we need a midfielder who could deliver 10-12 goals a season and in this team I believe he could. He might also think he has unfinished business here.

Wouldn't mind if he also contributed £20m for the amount he cost us?
I have mixed feelings - nice idea but in general dont like going back to players who lost interest in us

If he's available at a reasonable price I would have Barkley back. I know this will be an unpopular opinion but with Ancelotti giving him instructions he could be the difference. Alongside Allan and Doucoure we need a midfielder who could deliver 10-12 goals a season and in this team I believe he could. He might also think he has unfinished business here.
Barkley is a busted flush on the road to Cadamarteri. If you get my meaning. Can't even make the Villa team with Grealish out.

Superb that insights isn't it.

And your right about him not having just one plan

If he can craft an away win with that starting midfield, the man is a genius.

You know what, I already applaud him for trying something different here. Not the usual formation/tactics that we've struggled against the bottom teams and I think it's a good call in order to stretch that WBA defence a little. Of course, when we lose i'll be on here moaning that he's insane for starting that lineup.

Yep, agree with all of that. I looked it up after that comment yesterday, we drew 19 of those games, so almost half. It’s not good enough, but the idea we always lost is just daft. I’ll never understand what it is about Moyes that means some people have to blame him for everything, but I’m used to it now at least.

I love Davey Moyes. Don't even care. Did a very good job here, all things taken into consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back