Changing rules in the middle of a competition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnniepk

Player Valuation: £8m
This is doing my head in.
Once the season kicks off, all the rules in place should be fixed.
We are seeing far to many " from now on"" changes.
I really cant keep up with whats handball, how offside is decided, foul on keeper or not, when var can be used and who decides and when., playing on or blowing up?

Pretty sure when i played pub football the same 13 rules where in place for 20 years! 😁
Sometimes no referee would turn up and a supporter would step in. Rarely did i see a contentious decision.

I despair.

I think the problem is that many professional players are professional cheats.

Historically, referees never kept up with them (they knew the rules but not the game) and the football authorities chose not to intervene.

Unfortunately much of this (what I would call) cheating has become custom and practice in the modern game ...

Historically, referees never kept up with them (they knew the rules but not the game) and the football authorities chose not to intervene.

Unfortunately much of this (what I would call) cheating has become custom and practice in the modern game ...
Absolutely this, cheating is ingrained in every single aspect of the game from low-level claiming 'ours' every time the ball goes out to the simulation etc. that can be game changing.

I remember a couple of seasons back vs Newcastle with a few minutes to go a Newcastle player took a knock but got up to jog it off and the camera happened to go to Eddie Howe who was shouting to the player to go down. Sure enough the player did that and ate up two or three minutes, of which probably 1 minute got added back. Seems innocuous but is a symptom of the cancer of professional and accepted gamesmanship/cheating that is not even commented upon any more.

This new "head injury" rule is a prime example. It was brought in for the players welfare. Now,when anyone gets sneezed on the are rolling round on the floor holding their heads. Pathetic

One of the worst aspects of football is how cheating is rewarded. The ref doesnt reward a player for playing fair, but does reward a cheater with anything from penalties to throw ins. There should be a harder slam down on cheating. We have cameras everywhere, its not that hard to double check if there was any contact and card every player simulating every time. Would stop that bs in its track, but also remove any corrupt orgs way of affecting a games results.

I agree cheating is rife, the one that annoys me is shirt pulling. Pulling a players shirt should always be a foul and a booking, you can’t do it accidentally. A handful of bookings and penalties for shirt pulling would stop it overnight.
The problem with that is SOMEONE is telling refs and whoever to just stop enforcing these things. There was a crackdown about 5-7 years ago with the shirt pulling, tons of fouls and a couple penalties then...it just stopped getting called. What about handball by the defender in the box? Yep, we're going to call it every single time...until we decide we aren't anymore. Embellishing a dive for a penalty is a ban....until you see the most egregious offenders are from certain teams. "Respect for the referee"? Can't NOT have United and Liverpool players just circling a ref and yelling in his face, let's make that one go away.

“Let the game flow” just doesn’t work, and messages to refs to do that come and go throughout the season, and they have discretion to do it more in a “big game”. Sooner or later the yellow card needs to come out for something that in the first 10 minutes was let go. Makes no sense.

They get praised for doing it, but then are expected to give soft penalties in the 63rd minute when they let loads of crunching assaults the centre circle go to avoid stopping the game.

Stop emphasising different rules throughout the season after every controversy. Apply the rules strictly, fairly and accurately from kick off to full time, don’t be lenient for the first part of the game. Players and managers would adapt within weeks, if not instantly. And also apply the same rules all over the pitch. You can body a player into the family enclosure but heaven forbid you fart on a keepers thigh - instant free kick.

This is doing my head in.
Once the season kicks off, all the rules in place should be fixed.
We are seeing far to many " from now on"" changes.
I really cant keep up with whats handball, how offside is decided, foul on keeper or not, when var can be used and who decides and when., playing on or blowing up?

Pretty sure when i played pub football the same 13 rules where in place for 20 years! 😁
Sometimes no referee would turn up and a supporter would step in. Rarely did i see a contentious decision.

I despair.
It's not the rules - it's how they are Interpreted, IMO, PGMOL are given their 'rules of engagement' by the league

Society has developed a warped and self-righteous sense of what is right and ‘fair’. It needs the subsequent punishment of any perceived offence, while remaining distracted by memes and warnings from what is actually happening, which keeps people where they are and where they can be seen and it nullifies any major dissent of authority. This has found its way into football.

PL football is now all about who has been ‘wronged’, what is the ‘verdict’ and what punishment will be given. We have VAR and PL rules to decide on the wrongdoing and verdict and incompetent and/or corrupt individuals/groups within the VAR and PL processes deciding who gets what punishment.

Rules have always been made to be broken. That’s why they are made in the first place, otherwise they would not be made. We have to have punishment of what is not ours. In PL football it’s incompetence and/or corruption which determines the level of punishment.

The only way this will change is for either the rules to be changed or the people who make the incompetent and/or corrupt verdicts and determination of punishment are either investigated and regulated (punished) or they are removed completely. It’s punishment and ‘fairness’ we want, isn’t it?

Any flyer, poster or flag saying “Corrupt” is pointless. Even those dishing out their punishments from VAR and the PL know they are either incompetent or corrupt. What is telling them what they already know going to change?

Protests would gain more coverage and support if any email, letter, flyer, etc. mentioned regulation or investigation of PL officials and officers. Shouting “CORRUPTION” just makes us sound like we don’t think it’s ‘fair’, which it isn’t of course, but nobody cares as long as it isn’t being done to them.

We need to fight and fight hard and dirty. We don’t need to ‘work with them’ we need to tell them how it was and how it’s going to be but if we don’t, at least we’ll have had the satisfaction of telling them they’re corrupt. That’ll learn them and they’ll never do it again will they!

UTFT

There's nothing new in them changing the rules (especially if it helps one of the beloved six). They did it years ago to let the RS into the Champions League when they hadn't qualified for it, so that they could 'defend their trophy'...............and no one said a thing about it! Of course, they did have to play a qualifying round against St Winnifred's School Choir over two legs before been made one of the seeds, despite finishing below us!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.