class of 86

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrismpw

Player Valuation: £70m
I don't know if this has been done before, but earlier on in an attempt to cheer myself up and re-live batter days, I was remembering the best team, within my lifetime:

Southall, Van den Hauwe, Ratcliffe, Mountfield, Stevens, Reid, Bracewell, Sheedy, Steven, Heath or Gray, Sharp

My thought was - which, from our current squad, AT THEIR BEST would make that 80s team better, and for whom?

I'd go as far as Baines for VDH - and possibly Stones for Mountfield (eventually) that would be just.

If Barkley reaches his fruition I'd replace Bracewell with him. I wouldn't replace Sheeds with Pele! Not sure Barkley is at his best wide out either.

Bainesey is better going forward than Psycho Pat,although VDH was very decent with the ball and would use it extremely well even though he was right footed,defensively he was amongst the best around at that time,could play Centre Back too,was great to have a big fella at the back post to clear things,we've suffered with the likes of Baines/Hibbert being small lads to those type of balls,Gary Stevens was pretty tall too,Bainesey would probably be the closest to that team,no-one else comes anywhere near out of the current squad I'm afraid.

If we're talking players at their best then Eto'o would walk into the side up front. Probably Baines too at left back.

It's hard to say though really as you always compare players as they are, and I think the game has moved on a lot since those days. If you compare the players against their peers however, you'd have to say that very few of the current crop are fit to lace their boots.

I would have Psycho before Baines any day.

IMO Baines is not the defender Paddy was and without a fit and on form Peinaar he doesn't look half as good going forward.

In terms if physique, diet, lifestyle etc. the current team would in all likelihood best the '86 team but that is true of any football team today compared to yesteryear.

The RS of today would beat the Beardsley/Barnes outfit.....today's Real Madrid would hammer the team of Puskas and Di Stefano.....that shambolic Brazilian team of last summer would out muscle the 1970 team.

But if we use boxing parlance and go pound for pound, all those old teams are way better than their modern counterparts.

Reactions: S2H
I don't know if this has been done before, but earlier on in an attempt to cheer myself up and re-live batter days, I was remembering the best team, within my lifetime:

Southall, Van den Hauwe, Ratcliffe, Mountfield, Stevens, Reid, Bracewell, Sheedy, Steven, Heath or Gray, Sharp

My thought was - which, from our current squad, AT THEIR BEST would make that 80s team better, and for whom?

I'd go as far as Baines for VDH - and possibly Stones for Mountfield (eventually) that would be just.

btw......'86?

How can you leave Lineker out?

:)

Don't think I can truly comment only being born in '85. But I would imagine only Baines and Coleman could be classed near good enough for that side. Lukaku, Barkley and Stones potentially in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.