Classic Match. Everton Vs Norwich City, FA Cup 5th Round, Sat 18th Feb, 1995

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cena

Player Valuation: £70m
16704-md.jpg

It's FA Cup 5th Round day, usually around this time, we as fans start dreaming of Wembley and what could be. Everton entertain the Canaries at Goodison this saturday in what has been a decent tie for us. Luckily we have avoided the Manchester United's Blackburn's and although this should be a tough test against fellow relegation threatened strugglers Norwich, you can never bet against a resurgent Everton.

_44642206_everton-facup203.jpg

The cup is a nice distraction for us at the moment, away from the worries of the league. You tend to think Royle is urging his players to relax a bit more in these games as their is far more at stake Premiership wise. Our East Anglian friends may or may not feel the same, but they are no-where near the side who beat Bayern Munich a few seasons back. The team containing Efan Ekoku, Ruel Fox and the rest who have trounced us in recent seasons seem no more, although Jeremy Goss & talented youngster Darren Eadie should figure.

kit04.jpg

It would be rude of me not to talk about Mike Walker, the beast that he is. For all intensive purposes, he spelt disaster for Everton. He got lucky keeping us up last season and the players clearly did not want to play for him at the start of this. Thank God, so far, for Royle. We should not discredit the work he did for Norwich though, which led to him being offered the job at our place. Whether they themselves have recovered is another thing and i predict we'l be in the battle with them come the end to stay in the league.

Onto Everton now, Barry Horne & youngster David Unsworth face late fitness tests, should they not make it, I expect Ebbrell installed in centre midfield and Gary Ablett to return to the back. Other than that Royle has no new injury concerns from the team that drew at West Ham on monday night. Sources have told me to expect a Ferguson-Rideout partnership to start this one and I imagine Big Joe will opt for that. Ferguson is quick becoming a cult hero and what a difference Rideout has made since Royle took charge. Walker obviously didn't fancy him, but it seems Joe has put the arm round him, which has lead to some decent performances.

074-Everton---Neville-Southall.png

With big games coming up in the league against high-flying Leeds away & champions Manchester United at home, Royle will hope we gain no new injuries and will surely rather get something in the league than win this one. However a win saturday will see Everton reach the last 16 for the first time since 1991 and will further heighten hopes of a dream cup run. What a boost that would be for a club that at the start of November looked down and out.

Over to you Everton, here's hoping for safe passage into the quarter finals of the FA Cup.

Last edited:
brilliant - I was mascot for that game when I was 8 years old. Great day out! didnt score past Nev at the Gwladys Street though. and yes it is quite scary as an 8 year old to be on the pitch before a big cup game! Got to meet my hero Big Dunc too, as well as the rest of the team plus Joe Royle and Dave Hickson (which my Dad, Grandad and Uncle were very pleased about)

Also, where we were sat in the Main Stand we had Gordon Strachan in front of us, and the rest of the Leeds team (we had them at Elland Road the mid-week after). We had a bit of a chat with him and got his autograph and a few of the rest of their team too. Top bloke he was actually.

Thought more might of liked this, I was going to make it a regular thing, maybe not...

Mr Everton, I enjoyed reading that just now. Do you remember that like it was yesterday? I can barely remember our win against Man Utd last weekend FFS!

One of the thing's i remember about that day is that they had Bryan Gunn in the soccer saturday studio watching this game as he was injured or something like that and he was lost for words that day and what a finish from Ferguson,

Mr Everton, I enjoyed reading that just now. Do you remember that like it was yesterday? I can barely remember our win against Man Utd last weekend FFS!

Nice 1 Alio, flattered by the Mr Everton thing, thank you so much! I was 8 at the time, i sat in the park end. My stand out memory was Joe Parkinson thumping one in from close range down our end. Great times. I was amazed we won 5-0.

I've got a request. Fiorentina at home.

Go for it lad, do me proud!

Tell you what Jock, i'll do that next week, Ijjy whatever your request is mate, i'll do that after Jocks.

Honestly love this stuff. I usually write match reports for my team and bearing in mind I play in the game, by the time I get home, I'm already starting to forget how many goals we lost by, or what our team even was. Really enjoyed that

Status
Not open for further replies.