Club Statement: Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think people underestimate just how much planning and coordination goes into a season. Sure they can cobble something together to get 9 games played in May or June behind closed doors. But if it goes on longer than that I don’t think there’s a scenario where the league just waits for normality to return, plays out 9 games then a few weeks later starts a new season up with a few tweaks to the calendar. Sponsors have to be lined up, contracts have to be in place, insurance, in some cases physical venues need to be booked (Olympic stadium for example), the support services such as police need to flex resources for it.

Unless the pandemic clears up in the next few weeks to the point that people are certain we will have football in summer and can therefore start next season in a delayed fashion then it’s probably too late to start organising it based on an unknown resume date. It wouldn’t surprise me if there’s a cut off date where they say sorry but we have to put plans in place for next season and hope we can keep to them rather than front loading these games. The only other option I can see is to plan next season then if they do want to play the remaining games of this one in September or whatever is to to then try and horse trade around the calendar which wouldn’t be a problem if they hadn’t packed it so full already and you didn’t have corporations like UEFA, the FA, FIFA who won’t want to cancel any fixtures next season in an attempt to claw back as much revenue as they can.

I've been having an on off discussion with a lad on here about this.

Changing a season is an enormous undertaking. There's a reason why it hasn't happened in the 140+ years. If you seriously wanted to amend the football season, it would take months, if not years of planning. It really isn't something that can be done, on the back of a fag packet, in a few weeks with the pressure of a pandemic, and also a looming financial crisis.

I don't think people realise as well, that clubs will likely operate to their own self interest more as a result of this. Not because they are horrible, or have self interest, or are trying to deny club x/y/z this that or the other but because when you are facing enormous financial difficulties and there is a lot more money on the line, people become very defensive.

I also think another point in this, is starting a season chaotically, with things such as behind closed doors, compressed schedule etc is a lot easier than finishing one half way through. Introducing different rules part way through a competition is extremely difficult to do, as you will get sides who say it wasn't the rules they stand up too.

To give a simplistic analogy, imagine an Athletics 200m race, and it's much windier at one end of the stadium. If you discuss this with all the runners beforehand, and state you want to change where the race starts, for the reasons you do, and can eventually get them all to agree that is possible. Whats almost impossible, would be to stop the race part way through, and agree to re-complete the race from the positions they were left in when it was stopped.

Essentially, if big changes have to come, it will have to coincide with a season starting from scratch.

I think people underestimate just how much planning and coordination goes into a season. Sure they can cobble something together to get 9 games played in May or June behind closed doors. But if it goes on longer than that I don’t think there’s a scenario where the league just waits for normality to return, plays out 9 games then a few weeks later starts a new season up with a few tweaks to the calendar. Sponsors have to be lined up, contracts have to be in place, insurance, in some cases physical venues need to be booked (Olympic stadium for example), the support services such as police need to flex resources for it.

Unless the pandemic clears up in the next few weeks
to the point that people are certain we will have football in summer and can therefore start next season in a delayed fashion then it’s probably too late to start organising it based on an unknown resume date. It wouldn’t surprise me if there’s a cut off date where they say sorry but we have to put plans in place for next season and hope we can keep to them rather than front loading these games. The only other option I can see is to plan next season then if they do want to play the remaining games of this one in September or whatever is to to then try and horse trade around the calendar which wouldn’t be a problem if they hadn’t packed it so full already and you didn’t have corporations like UEFA, the FA, FIFA who won’t want to cancel any fixtures next season in an attempt to claw back as much revenue as they can.
That's the point here people are missing believing it can be resumed and completed (not saying that's from you mate) . UK are only are the start of an upward curve that still has weeks to run. Something has to give here and focus should be on getting the new season started without any disruption.

Not too sure about them winning a title any time soon
FSG are going to get financially devastated by the stock market and may have a fire sale of scum players to bolster their American franchises

Would be great but never happening, anyway it doesn’t matter what players leave, as long as Klopp is there we’re on borrowed time.

D7C16277-A900-42FA-BB76-96EF29889667.webp
F502F5FC-FDBB-49BA-81DD-4A8DBB3A6C66.webp

the footy will go ahead tho aye.

It seems clear that they will be given the opportunity to restart the season if it is safe to do so. It is by no means clear when it will be safe to do so. Being 'safe to do so' will require a relaxation in government legislation, which will only come into place if we get a grip of this disgusting deadly virus. I therefore hope that the season is restarted ASAP. The prospect of voiding the league will only occur if the current legislation needs to remain in place beyond July and August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back