Colin Harvey

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lovely guy with a real knack of making starstruck fans who met him feel completely at their ease. Met him on a few occasions. Sign of the class of the guy was that he actually invited me to watch them train at Bellfield. We met in Rotterdam at a preseason tournament. He said he would ring when they got back to England. He kept his word and rang my house to sort out a day.
The look on my dad’s face when he told me I’d missed the call!!! He said he’ll ring back in 10 minutes!!!! Which he did!
Great guy and a brilliant footballer.
That goal vs WBA to clinch the title in 1970! Blimey !
Joyeux anniversaire !!!!

A lovely guy with a real knack of making starstruck fans who met him feel completely at their ease. Met him on a few occasions. Sign of the class of the guy was that he actually invited me to watch them train at Bellfield. We met in Rotterdam at a preseason tournament. He said he would ring when they got back to England. He kept his word and rang my house to sort out a day.
The look on my dad’s face when he told me I’d missed the call!!! He said he’ll ring back in 10 minutes!!!! Which he did!
Great guy and a brilliant footballer.
That goal vs WBA to clinch the title in 1970! Blimey !
Joyeux anniversaire !!!!
I’m just surprised knowing you mate that you didn’t somehow talk Colin around to giving you a trial at Bellefield???

A glorious footballer to watch. His nickname gives a clue to the level of his ball skills and passing ability. Not too many goals but those he got were generally worldies. September '68 v West Brom will always live in my mind. Also ratted round the midfield as needed.

Memories of him and Bally keep me warm when watching the dreary journeymen we've had for too many years since.

Mr. Harvey I can wish you nothing but the very best and thank you for the wonder of your playing.

A glorious footballer to watch. His nickname gives a clue to the level of his ball skills and passing ability. Not too many goals but those he got were generally worldies. September '68 v West Brom will always live in my mind. Also ratted round the midfield as needed.

Memories of him and Bally keep me warm when watching the dreary journeymen we've had for too many years since.

Mr. Harvey I can wish you nothing but the very best and thank you for the wonder of your playing.
This always. Well put mate. Privileged to have seen him play in our shirt

Howard Kendall, another Geordie horse puncher eh...
who-put-50p-gjfmsj.jpg

Happy Birthday to the man i consider to be the #1 all-time Evertonian- as he fits into more categories than anyone i can think of.... A scouser, a boyhood fan on the terraces, youth player, legendary first team player, youth coach, reserve team coach, first team coach, manager, league title winner, fa cup winner....and of course part of the Holy Trinity.

For me, Colin epitomises the combination of skill, finesse and heart of those Catterick years and devoted around 40 years of his life working at Everton. I’m not old enough to have seen him play live but when looking at all that footage of Colin, which I have a good collection of, he looks such a modern player who wouldn’t be out of place in a midfield three with the likes of Xavi & Iniesta.

Him and Howard proved to be a dream ticket…and as many ex-players have said, our fortunes turned once he was promoted to 1st team coach and implemented a pressing game (which he’d been doing in the reserves). This benefitted Peter Reid as much as anyone and he soon became an Everton great. My fave clip of Colin and Howard together is the 84 Cup Final (I think) when we’re 2-0 up with a few mins to go and Howard playfully pushes Colin as if to say “we’ve done it” but Colin’s still concentrating on the game as if to say “it’s not over yet”. Also, in Reidy’s book he describes how Colin laid into the players when they were 2-0 down at half-time vs the RS…in a testimonial!!! Stressing how important it was not to give them any advantage even in pre-season- we went out and won the game 3-2.

Colin’s my father-in-laws’ all-time favourite player and my all-time favourite Evertonian. Him not succeeding as our manager was one of the saddest things I’ve experienced as a fan, and as mentioned before, his description of when he knew he would be sacked brings a lump to the throat. Gentleman and legend.

The likes of Rooney called his 'biggest influence' and the similar plaudits from Ratcliffe and Osman and so many others spanning many years, and who Big Nev said recently "when I think of Everton, i think of Colin, he is Everton in a nutshell". High praise indeed.

What a legend, shame he didn't get more international caps,

The one cap is a farce as people have mentioned, although it’s a different era and just one sub, who Ramsey didn’t often play- and felt loyal to his world cup winners, so it was always going to be difficult. Although Colin did also play for the England 1st team in a 4-0 win Vs Mexico in 1969...in a midfield three with Bally and Colin Bell...and thought he'd won his 1st cap- only to arrive home to find out it didn't go down as an official game, so he had to wait a bit longer for that cap...the eye injury meant he was then down the pecking order for Mexico 70- and he was heavily tipped to be in the squad and at that time regarded as the best English player not to win a full cap (and not just by Evertonians).

Status
Not open for further replies.