Comparing last season

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToffeeMark

Player Valuation: £30m
This is tricky as it depends when you play the difficult teams etc. I wondered if it was possible to produce a comparable league table based on how you'd faired against the same opponents last year "season to date".

For example, last year we lost 1 nil away to Blackburn and this year we won 1 nil. QPR weren't in the division but if you swap their result for Birmingham City's who were the top team to get relegated (i.e. QPR = Birmingham, Norwich = Blackpool and West Ham = Swansea) then we drew 1-1 with Birmingham.

So like for like we'd be 1 point last year and 3 points this year.

Not very interesting at the moment but the longer the season goes on it could give an indication as to whether we're improving or not. (Doesn't feel like we are I know)

We also drew with Villa, and Wigan last year so the first four teams we're playing this season yielded 3 points last year, we've already got 3 points and two games in hand.

This is tricky as it depends when you play the difficult teams etc. I wondered if it was possible to produce a comparable league table based on how you'd faired against the same opponents last year "season to date".

For example, last year we lost 1 nil away to Blackburn and this year we won 1 nil. QPR weren't in the division but if you swap their result for Birmingham City's who were the top team to get relegated (i.e. QPR = Birmingham, Norwich = Blackpool and West Ham = Swansea) then we drew 1-1 with Birmingham.

So like for like we'd be 1 point last year and 3 points this year.

Not very interesting at the moment but the longer the season goes on it could give an indication as to whether we're improving or not. (Doesn't feel like we are I know)

We also drew with Villa, and Wigan last year so the first four teams we're playing this season yielded 3 points last year, we've already got 3 points and two games in hand.

We've played gash so far but good points. Hope we up our game for Villa and carry on our 'improvement' from last season.

We've played gash so far but good points. Hope we up our game for Villa and carry on our 'improvement' from last season.

This is the thing, no matter how terrible we've played, we are actually doing better than we did points wise last year. Bizzare. If we continue to play badly and start losing against teams we beat then the comparison will start to show that we've got worse, if we actually get over this slow start, then we've made a good start compared to last season.

I'd love to see a comparison for the whole division, but I can't be arsed to make it myself. Here's where I got last years results from:

2010 - 2011 Prem League and Results

This is the thing, no matter how terrible we've played, we are actually doing better than we did points wise last year. Bizzare. If we continue to play badly and start losing against teams we beat then the comparison will start to show that we've got worse, if we actually get over this slow start, then we've made a good start compared to last season.

I'd love to see a comparison for the whole division, but I can't be arsed to make it myself. Here's where I got last years results from:

2010 - 2011 Prem League and Results

Yeah, will get interesting after a few more games in terms of a comparison. Hope we can get over the slow start syndrome.

The point is, comparing the first 5/10/15 games every year is pointless and irrelevant as it depends who you play each year. If last season you were away to Man U, at home to chelsea, away to Arsenal at Home to City....and then this year it was Wigan, Qpr, Sunderland, Liverpool....it's pointless

Comparing how you faired against like for like teams makes more sense....

Just trying to read between the lines and lift the gloom...

Last edited:
The more I think about it, the more I think we've done ok so far. We've only been badly gash for 20 minutes after halftime against Blackburn.

Vs Sheff Utd we dominated from start to finish. Their goal was completely out of the blue and we could have scored more.

Vs QPR They had only 1 shot on target from which they scored. We were unlucky hitting the bar and missing some golden opportunities.

We out passed Blackburn by 303 to 190 and QPR by 364 to 321. Maybe our style of play... where we move up the pitch slowly and then the other team breaks quickly... is giving people the wrong impression. In fact we are actually controlling games with a continental passing game.

Interesting to compare season on season how we do against certain teams. I have heard that Moyelz does actually put a lot of emphasis on this to monitor progress.

Nice to see some optimism around.

The more I think about it, the more I think we've done ok so far. We've only been badly gash for 20 minutes after halftime against Blackburn.

Vs Sheff Utd we dominated from start to finish. Their goal was completely out of the blue and we could have scored more.

Vs QPR They had only 1 shot on target from which they scored. We were unlucky hitting the bar and missing some golden opportunities.

We out passed Blackburn by 303 to 190 and QPR by 364 to 321. Maybe our style of play... where we move up the pitch slowly and then the other team breaks quickly... is giving people the wrong impression. In fact we are actually controlling games with a continental passing game.

There is though a fine line between optimism and delusion.

Everton vs QPR (Birmingham) 1 point last year vs 0 points this year
Blackburn vs Everton 0 pts vs 3 pts this year
Everton vs Villa 1 pt vs 1pt
Everton vs Wigan 1pt vs 3pts this year
Man City vs Everton 3pts vs ???

Therefore last year we had 6 points after playing Man City....we've already got 7 points.....we're so awesome.....anything against man City and we're flying..if we don't get anything, we're still doing better than last season...(so far)

we had 10 points same fixtures last year. We've got 7 points this year.

If we can turn a point at Fulham into a win then we'll be within a point. However, we did beat the barcodes away and draw with United so we've got to match that.

Only light at the end of the tunnel is that we dropped points against Wolves and Bolton, we could gain ground there...

The fixtures for the last 3 games last season we picked up 7 points this season it has been zero.
At the moment we cant defend or attack and the players have got to stop hiding behind kenwrites terrible way of running the club and stand up.

Last Year 11 points. This Year 10 points against same opposition (with relegated swapped for promoted)

Everton vs QPR (Birmingham) 1 point last year vs 0 points this year
Blackburn vs Everton 0 pts vs 3 pts this year
Everton vs Villa 1 pt vs 1pt
Everton vs Wigan 1pt vs 3pts this year
Man City vs Everton 3pts vs 0pts
Everton vs Liverpool 3pts vs 0pts
Chelsea vs Everton 1pt vs 0pts
Fulham vs Everton 1pt vs 3pts

Status
Not open for further replies.