• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Concepts and rules you think would improve football going forward...

John from Bootle

Player Valuation: £8m
Well? I'll start of with this one. Feel free to rubbish any ideas put forward by myself or others; I just feel there's so many ways the game could be better and/or more competitive, so anything is worthy of debate, imo.

Anyway...

Had this conversation with a friend yesterday. He sold me on it, tbh. I think the idea definitely has merits.

If the powers that be are so concerned about financial stability, shouldn't they just phase out staggered transfer payments and make clubs cough up transfer fees in full and stop clubs getting themselves in debt over like 5 year periods? You can literally go from Premier League to non-league in less than 5 years.

Now I know that this wouldn't be a cure for all financial issues and poor ownership/management, but surely it would help with financial stability by stopping clubs jumping on this carousel of players on lay-by.

Shamelessly stolen from Chicken City v Egg United.
  1. You must shout your own name every time you shoot.
  2. A goalscorer can double their goal by pulling off a crossbar challenge immediately after.
  3. Goalkeepers must go up for every corner.
  4. Managers must be in the centre circle at all times but mustn’t touch the ball.
  5. When ‘Wrecking Ball’ by Miley Cyrus is played, a second ball will be introduced.
  6. If you get a yellow card, you must wear a yellow marigold glove for the reast of the game.
  7. If you get a second yellow card, you must do the washing-up after the match.
  8. If a team goes three goals up, every outfield player on that team must hold hands with another of their players while ‘I Want To Hold Your Hand’ plays.
  9. If the referee thinks that you’ve done something very well, you must wear the wonderful wig – a pink curly one! The player wearing the wonderful wig at the final whistle gets a £20 cash prize.
  10. Each manager has a party popper/ confetti cannon each and they can fire it whenever they want (but the ball must be out of play.) They then must choose one player from each team to play a one-on-one for the next two minutes. Both goalkeepers keep playing too though.

For me the rules of the game just need to be applied. Financial rules for Chelsea and City are not be followed up on where us and Forest have been already dealt with.

The others rules like throw ins, goalkeepers holding on to the ball for 30 plus seconds when it has always been six need to be actually properly Reffed.

All players in each league to be payed the same with a figure agreed by all clubs at the start of the season. This would make agents redundant.
Go back to two substitutes plus a goalkeeping substitute this s would more or less stop late timewasting substitutions .
As previously mentioned 3/4 players must be born within 40 miles of the club these can be on the bench.
Scrap VAR and give control back to the officials including the fourth official.
What does the fourth official even do ?

Wage cap.
Compulsion to have half the squad from within 30 miles of the club.
Limit sponsorship income.

Should see some variety and lesson a predictable league over time then.
There are two reasons why this isn't going to happen: 1) other leagues will not comply, and they'll take advantage, and b) the money men will lose their gravy-train.

The latter relies on the former, so it isn't going to happen, regardless of our wishes. With more and more US owners, the financial part will be squeezed even more.

For me, there does need to be financial rules that protect the integrity of the league and ensure clubs don't fold, but also make allow competition from new parties.

Right now, it's a closed shop at the top because PSR allows it to be, so the likes of ourselves will continue to be held back and made to pay.

On a slightly different note, I think throw-ins will be gone within the next five years, because they've already introduced kick-ins at youth level.

Contracts with no transfer fees. Leaving for another club midway through a contract is by mutual consent. Ideally only during tge summer break.

Tie that with the same fixed salary cap for all teams in the football structure as long as it's affordable for them.

Wage cap.
Compulsion to have half the squad from within 30 miles of the club.
Limit sponsorship income.

Should see some variety and lesson a predictable league over time then.
How do you decide where a club is? The ground, the head offices, the training facilities?

And would a ground move render players suddenly ineligible? And where are players 'from'? The hospital they were born in? The street they first lived in or whichever street they spent the bulk of their childhood in? Or wherever the office in which their birth was registered is? You'd have to be pretty precise to police a specific distance rule.

My rule changes would be cut matches down to 60 minutes but measured with an in-play clock.

There are two reasons why this isn't going to happen: 1) other leagues will not comply, and they'll take advantage, and b) the money men will lose their gravy-train.

The latter relies on the former, so it isn't going to happen, regardless of our wishes. With more and more US owners, the financial part will be squeezed even more.

For me, there does need to be financial rules that protect the integrity of the league and ensure clubs don't fold, but also make allow competition from new parties.

Right now, it's a closed shop at the top because PSR allows it to be, so the likes of ourselves will continue to be held back and made to pay.

On a slightly different note, I think throw-ins will be gone within the next five years, because they've already introduced kick-ins at youth level.
Oh I never said it would happen, but they would lead to improvements.

Football doesn't want improvements it wants more and more cash. Each change for more cash, the griwth of branding and plastic teams makes the game worse. It's a downward spiral and will eventually - quickly I think - make people lose interest in the game. I've already started watching non-league instead.

How do you decide where a club is? The ground, the head offices, the training facilities?

And would a ground move render players suddenly ineligible? And where are players 'from'? The hospital they were born in? The street they first lived in or whichever street they spent the bulk of their childhood in? Or wherever the office in which their birth was registered is? You'd have to be pretty precise to police a specific distance rule.

My rule changes would be cut matches down to 60 minutes but measured with an in-play clock.
The details don't matter so long as they are fair for all. An equal catchment area for all - so a bigger radius fir teams near a coast. Easy.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back