Confirmed Signing Conor Coady

Status
Not open for further replies.

He could, but I don't think it's wise to expect any outfield player to still be capable of playing in the PL at 38. If we got 3 good years I'd be more than happy.
Also, for what, 8m for Gana, it's essentially a nominal fee in the current footballing market. We aren't signing him to ever sell him.

Resale value klaxon!!!

I've always been of the thought that we get players to play, not for how much we could sell in the future - I've not cared about this resale stuff that a lot seem worried about. after all if they are on to much we cant get rid of most of them and they run contracts out anyway

Resale value klaxon!!!

It's a valid point though. It's fine for you not to care about it, but it doesn't make the point any less relevant. People still sneering at the idea of resale value being important after everything that's happened is quite incredible. We should definitely get a klaxon for when people who laugh at resale value moan about the wage bill and us being financially hamstrung though, possibly a dunce's hat too.

There's a world of difference between these type of signings vs what we've been doing for years. Think he's trying to make a point that just isn't there.

If we had only signed these players and nothing else then I could understand some concern.

Tim , if you take Coady , Tarkowski and Gana out of our team every other player has a good resale potential

That's a decent balance for me.

No what I'm saying is that the resale argument really can only be made for Gueye who is a bit older, and unlikely to be a free transfer/loan signing like the other two. I'm very happy with the Tarkowski signing - I've wanted him for a long time. Coady isn't someone I'd have gone for personally, but he's looking like a loan signing so I have no idea why resale would be an issue. You can't sell loan players....

We are realistically going to be without Godfrey until the restart after the world cup. That gives him until boxing day to recover. The break in early November feels far too soon. Then we just can't rely on Mina.

So I think we have Tarkowski, Holgate, Keane, and probably Coady to play in a back 3. Coleman could fill in at right of the 3 and Mykolenko could probably fill in at left. But we have 4 out and out centre backs for a back 3 system. I don't think we will sell any of them now.

….I have no doubt they’d bite anybody’s hand off if offers came in for Mina, Holgate or Keane. As you say, there are options for Mykolenko and Coleman to play in a three & let’s not forget young Reece Welsh (19 next month) who must be rated by Lampard given he’s often on the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.