Could Moyes/Everton Be Learning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cena

Player Valuation: £70m
I'm, like most of you, awaiting the pre-season fixtures with excitement. I'm bored without Everton. I feel bad for suggesting, when we were gash mid-season, that it felt like a chore going to the game. It's never a chore, it's a pleasure, even if the football on show is garbage.

There is semi-optimism around, we're made up with the way we played at the back end of the season, I honestly think we could of played anyone at home in those last 5 or 6 games and won, we were playing that well. However it is the summer and I have no doubts, bleach could be passed around at some point what with transfer rumours and dare I say, 'meltdowns'.

The thing is though, even with the possible ins/outs this summer, I think there is reason to be quietly optimistic, ok, it's the same pre-season optimism everyone has, but so what, we have reason to be.

In 2005 when we finished 4th, it was magnificent. Moyes came out in the press and said we were 'Kings of Merseyside'. A week later Liverpool won the Champions League. This year we finished above Liverpool for the 2nd time in 24 years, yet no-one reached the highs of achieving the same feat in 2005. I'll accept the disappointment of the semi-final defeat may have played it's part, but as a fan-base, certainly amongst my mates there was no great celebration of finishing above them, which is the yard-stick, usually, if you finish above them, you have had a great season.

Moyes though hasn't been vocal about this at all, no 'Kings of Merseyside', no real congratulations to players on a 7th place finish. The post match Newcastle interview, when a reporter suggested that it was great for supporters that we have finished above Liverpool, Moyes simply shrugged this off.

I have given Moyes stick, I will never forgive him for that derby, and I can forget, but perhaps not quite yet forgive him and the players for the semi-final. I have said that as brilliant a job he has done, he doesn't get us through the big games, or games we should win. I still can't see us winning a trophy with him unless, A, he gets a little bit more adventurous or, B, he gets a significant transfer kitty to use.

What I will say though is that, the playing down of finishing above Liverpool, the belief in the squad I saw, particularly after Jelavic slotted for fun, the ability of players we have in our squad, (we really do have some fabulous players when they play well) I think Moyes is quietly going about his summer, keeping his head down.

I'm not going to tempt fate by saying this is going to be the season where we start well and be consistent for a season, but, with rumours of us having a tougher pre-season in terms of opposition, a settled squad and no 'best squad i've ever had at Everton' quotes, Moyes seems to be focused.

Yes Baines, Felliani or whoever could be sold, and it will be devastating, but as long as there are 'outs' at Everton, there will be 'ins' as well and when has Everton ever not reacted well such situations (Rooney, Lescott, Pienaar, etc)

Let the media and footballing public fap about Eden Hazard, Liverpool & Chelsea managers, City & United signings, I like that at the end of the season and at least at the minute, we haven't given it the big one. Certainly not like in 2005 or 2010.

Enjoy your summer, enjoy the Euro's, Olympics, festivals, bank holidays, girls wearing next to nothing on hot days, cider in beer gardens, BBQ's and all the other summer cliches. Me, I already miss a cold, rainy day in November at L4 4EL.

Come on you Blues!

Enjoyed that mate.

COME ON YOU BLUUEESSSS.

Need my Everton fix, i'll be coming up for some pre-season games, the wait is too long!

I look forward to this being bumped at Xmas when we are lying in 14th position.

When i see tough pre season and a signing or 2, im gonna run out my front door in my boxies run to the little grass verge slide down it on my knees whist fist pumping shouting. Itssssss Onnnnnnnnn

Until then....Pims anyone??

Lovely stuff. I hope you're right, Cena. Maybe he has learned something. That should be our main concern. We can deal with losing big names. We've done it before. The next step is producing when it matters and with this squad, we should get opportunites at least. Come on you blues.

We may lose a name on the back, but we will always have the crest on the front of the jersey! Pride in Merseyside.

I'm always optimistic. And I'm bored stiff without Everton. Maybe it's good as it gives us all a chance to miss it so we're excited when it comes around again.

I know this, nothing would give me more pleasure than watching us battle for a CL spot again. The last time was my first season as an Evertonian, and while we haven't reached those heights gain, we've never really been truly gash for an entire season since I've been a fan, so I count myself lucky.

peter moyes decides instead of splashing the cash he puts fellaini AMC, thus can keep neville in his side or doesn't have to choose between his 3 CB's and more importantly doesn't have to buy a quality, flair player :(

Great write up cena... i think you jinxed it though ha

In all seriousness, am pretty confident we will have a good season, no matter who we bring in, just like to see him buy an AMC just so he can at least change it, good job we seem to be looking at players early though

Status
Not open for further replies.