Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Cuco Martina

Status
Not open for further replies.
The bare minimum requirement for a full back, the absolute bare minimum, is that you can block a cross. Tony Hibbert could do it, couldn't do much else, but he could put his body in front of a cross. This man is incapable of doing that as he's scared of footballs.

In fairness Mikeh, while i'm not defending Martina for an abysmal display the other day (and yes, he shouldn't have been anywhere near that squad), he's not the only player we've got who seems scared of blocking a cross...

I think Martina as a wing-back would be fine. He played that role against Split pretty much and had a good game in the first leg.

Defensively he's a liability at times and Koeman shouldn't be selecting him over Kenny.

Goals 2 and 3 killed the game, and they were all on him. He does his job properly and they don't happen.
Ok I stand by my point that the whole team was poor and Martina exposed! But I've took another look at goals 2 and 3 and yeah his position is poor and he his blocking is non existent! But he is the only person down that right hand side! You are right but so am I he was over exposed with no support!

In fairness Mikeh, while i'm not defending Martina for an abysmal display the other day (and yes, he shouldn't have been anywhere near that squad), he's not the only player we've got who seems scared of blocking a cross...

I think Martina as a wing-back would be fine. He played that role against Split pretty much and had a good game in the first leg.

Defensively he's a liability at times and Koeman shouldn't be selecting him over Kenny.

If we absolutely have to play him (I'd prefer us not to) then I agree I'd have him as far up the pitch as possible where he can do the least damage. But for me, he should be 3rd choice right back now until Coleman comes back, behind Kenny and Holgate, and in a wing back system I'd even have Kenny and Lennon in that role ahead of him. If we can possibly find a taker next summer then we should flog him and forget this sorry episode ever happened.

Last edited:

So many of them stunk the place out on Saturday and he still managed to stick out! Takes some doing, that!

The thing is, he's not picking himself so Koeman has to take the blame and I'm more annoyed with the likes of Schneiderlin, who's yet to have a decent game this season.

He was sort of ok in the previous games in an anonymous sort of way, I was hoping it wouldn't happen but I always knew deep down he'd prove he wasn't good enough eventually.

Had the same feeling with Robles last year. Kenny's got to get his chance now. Or play Morgan there, or Besic? Niasse?

Would rather have Hubert and I'm not even joking... at least hobbo defended well... would rather have no attacking at all in favour for a solid RB

It's being noticed elsewhere now too unsurprisingly -
On early evidence Cuco Martina should not be starting for Everton ahead of Jonjoe Kenny
Sat 9 Sep
Everton
0 – 3
Tottenham
Thu 14 Sep
Atalanta
v
Everton

40 minutes ago
The new Everton right-back struggled against Tottenham Hotspur

It would be interesting to know what Everton youngster Jonjoe Kenny thought of Cuco Martina's latest showing for the Toffees, with the summer signing looking well out of his depth in the 3-0 defeat to Tottenham Hotspur on Saturday.

With Mason Holgate only on the bench after 90-minute outings against Manchester City and Chelsea, Martina was given his chance to impress after a less than inspiring start to life at Goodison Park, and to say he fluffed his lines is an understatement.

At 27, the former Southampton man should not look as woefully short of form as Martina did against Spurs, and one wonders why Kenny is not getting the chances afforded to a player seven years his senior.

After all, 20-year-old Kenny has talent in abundance and, while he has only two first-team appearances for Everton under his belt so far, he is expected to be a regular starter for Ronald Koeman's side in due course.

Everton have already benefited from giving youth a chance, with the likes of Holgate, Tom Davies and Ademola Lookman benefiting to varying degrees, so why is Koeman persisting with playing Martina when he has a far more exciting option in Kenny.

If you are good enough, you are old enough, but as Martina proves, just because you are old enough, you have no divine right to a starting spot.

Feel terrible for slating one of our own players, during the game I was hoping that he would do well and I hope that he's able to develop and learn as a result but that was an absolutely shocking performance on Saturday. I appreciate that he weren't the only poor player as Schneiderlin and Williams were dreadful too! Kenny has got to be given a chance now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back