David Moyes

Somerset Hammer

Player Valuation: Free Transfer
Hello and I appreciate being allowed on to your site.

I have a question. Apologies if others have asked before. But after a while, did you get tired of Moyes' tactics, stubborn-ness and the standard of football under him ?

You'll be aware of the divide it's causing amongst us West Ham fans. True, he won us a trophy but with the exception of Fiorentina in the final, in which we were very lucky, the standard of opposition was average at best.

My own view is that he's sucking the life out of us. As for the 'be careful what you wish for' and 'safe pair of hands' spouted out by his mates in the media, I don't buy into it.

Thanks in advance and good luck for the rest of the season.

His 'knife to a gunfight' mentality, of downplaying expectation for his own (and maybe some clubs) benefit at every turn is something he's done at every club.

At Man Utd he would talk about how a point at Newcastle would be a good result, and before a ball was kicked at Sunderland he was saying it would be a miracle if they stayed up.

I'd never want him back but West Ham are 6th, 4 points off 4th on the back of winning a trophy. He's had his best 2 year spell of his career and you should be kissing the blokes feet at the moment.

I have a question. Apologies if others have asked before. But after a while, did you get tired of Moyes' tactics, stubborn-ness and the standard of football under him ?

You'll be aware of the divide it's causing amongst us West Ham fans. True, he won us a trophy but with the exception of Fiorentina in the final, in which we were very lucky, the standard of opposition was average at best.

My own view is that he's sucking the life out of us. As for the 'be careful what you wish for' and 'safe pair of hands' spouted out by his mates in the media, I don't buy into it.

People were saying enough as he'd been there so long and we felt a ceiling had been hit. However during his time he built a very good squad of players and played some very nice football at times.

We've gone downhill since he left but I don't support west ham so no idea what you want from him?

We didn't even get a trophy.

I think you're a top striker away from winning the league

Yeah agree, bored the living daylights out of me and I wouldn’t have him back.

Think he is a manager very similar with who we have now, old school values and basically don’t get beat tactics. When it works it’s good but when it doesn’t it’s painful to watch.

Saying that if it wasn’t for Moyes we wouldn’t have stayed in the PL.

He is a low budget manager imo and very good at it but for me he’s not a top manager

He took us as far as he could, which in fairness was pretty far from where he found us.

That 5th-7th slot became the norm and as such expectations were raised over a period of years.

The problem was that Moyes was very content to sit pressed up against the glass ceiling.

We all wanted to make the next step and the cautious Moyes approach became something most of us wanted to cast off by the end.

But also, be careful what you wish for. We’ve largely been swimming in the toilet since he left.

He did a really good job here, but it was also the right time for him to leave when he went to United.

Maybe it was just my perception, but he seemed to do better with little money and low expectations. When a little bit more was expected, it didn't go as well for him. We also tended to finish seasons much stronger than we started - possibly a sign of finding it easier to perform when the pressure was less.

All in all, he did very well for Everton. For me, he's a just above mid-table level manager. I think he's done really well at West Ham too. No disrespect, but any manager who wins a trophy for West Ham is doing a good job.

The common feeling on Moyes is that he has a self imposed glass ceiling that saw really good Everton teams play within themselves in big games.

He also ran the club brilliantly and with fiscal responsibility only bettered by Wenger, at times we played some great football with quality players and at times we played more inhibited dull football, I feel he has become more defensive at West Ham. Seeing him winning a trophy was fantastic for me, what with his old man on the touchline. If he was to leave West ham may go down rather than up but pundits seem to forget, its an entertainment industry and if the footy is that bad I get fans wanting something different for the ticket price.

Agree with all of your points, however, I would rather have had his consistent, measured style rather than any one of his successors. Not sure where Carlo fits in but he left quickly, so maybe Moyes over him for his loyalty.

Haven't West Ham won a european trophy and are currently 6th? Are you feeling ok?

Moyes' Everton could play some good stuff, when he had the best of the rest of the personnel not stockpiled at the big four/scab 6/ESL 8 he did us well.
He had to wheel and deal and find players with a grudge that had been scrap heaped and give them a path to redemption. This aspect is where he excelled.
Players overlooked, even sometimes by Everton previously he brought in and got working well. The system has changed somewhat now, there's more money available and the stockpiling of players is occurring overseas where PL clubs can farm out talent to Belgium and Portugal and the likes to see if they come good. So the pickings are even fewer. Moyes loved a punt, take a chance on a Lescott for instance or a Marcus Bent and see em come good. The problem was, sometimes they'd come so good they'd end up on mega wages elsewhere (Lescott, Arteta) or going awol (Yakubu) falling out of favour (Bent) suffering burn out (Cahill) or staying the course (Baines, Jagielka).
He was and is pragmatic, survival first anything extra a bonus. How we could have done with some of that recently. I'd have a drunk Moyes stood on his head in a bucket of water making decisions here before fat boy benitez, fat boy lampard, fat boy allardyce, or wide boy martinez. Chancers the lot. The opposite of safe and considered Moyes. People love rollercoasters, the ups n downs. Yeah variety and all that. Here at Everton we've suffered a few to many downs in the PL years.
Go all out and get him Lukaku to focus his side on with Soucek in behind a la Cahill and you'll see the difference. Give him his 25 league goals a season man as a certainty and you'll see a different Moyes side.

Yes yes and yes. We can’t argue with the job he did under the circumstances, 20yrs ago it was a bit easier as then only 3/4 teams spent real money. In them days, Bolton, Middlesbrough, Blackburn and a few other similar sized clubs were all mixing it around the top 7. A lot of our fans would take him back tomorrow, think he’s had some good money to spend at West Ham, but will always be a safety first manager.

We have the same now with dyche, can’t win when we go a goal down ans remember similar issues under Moyes, think we went like 3yrs away from home not winning when we conceded first , ironically it ended at West Ham when we scored 3 goals late on in a 3-1 win, think Saha got 2.

I’d get rid of dyche in the summer and look to build over the next few years with a younger manager who wants to play a more modern style on the front foot and go after teams, you will get loads on here saying we haven’t the players the play a different style and dyche is perfect for us right now. Utter nonsense imo

Ok and thanks for your thoughts. Some interesting views.

Football has changed since he was with you and as somebody pointed out, it's an entertainment business. But the chairmen nowadays will always look at the ££ first with staying in the league their number one priority. Obviously the likes of City can aim much higher.

There's far too much money in the game.