Confirmed Signing Dele Alli

Status
Not open for further replies.
But Jesse just wasn't very good ultimately mate

I do get the argument, that Alli just isnt interested anymore and will be poor.

Ill add a couple of thoughts though. Firstly I think a permanent is different to a loan. I know players get slaughtered, and perhaps rightly so but I do understand why those on the loan treadmill give up a bit. Imagine you're in a work place, and you get sent somewhere else for 3-4months every year, when the manager there isnt really interested in you. Often in different parts of the country, annoying family etc in the process. I'd imagine you become quite cynical by the end of it all. At 25 youd want to be past all that, and be settling down.

This deal is a big show of confidence in him, and while you cant read too much into it, Alli seems delighted to be here. I got a whatsapp from someone last week, who gets a lot right, saying Alli is desperate to join Lampard if he joins Everton. Lampard has a big pull. In a lot of ways, maybe even as big a pull for younger players as Carlo, and more than the rest of the managers had (like to be fair Gerrard has as well). You cant read too much into those things, but I thought he spoke well and looks delighted. Not really about Everton, but about Lampard.

The 2nd thing, is the club have structured the deal, it doesnt really leave him many options to coast.

I understand the games are league games. I suspect the next installment will be in double the league games, so 10m again again 60 league games.

So essentially if he doesnt knuckle down this season, I honestly couldn't be surprised if the club said to him, go and find another club, loan of permanent, but you will not play for us again. If he drops off next season, we will likely say the same, to avoid triggering the milestones.

So even if the worst case happens, the club basically get a free/cheap loan.

Status
Not open for further replies.