2022/23 Demarai Gray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeah he is, Gray has had 12 goals and 6 assists in two seasons here, the same 2 seasons Harrison has 16 goals, 12 assists

In todays society i find that everyone just fails to look at anything with context. I'm surprised Gray is even as close as that in the last 2 seasons.

The reason being is Everton and Leeds had 2 completely different styles of play. Leeds bomb on their full backs at any given opportunity leaving their attacking players with a multiple variety of opportunities to score from, this is the exact reason why championship standard type of players like Bamford and Harrison were getting the kind of numbers they were getting. And both of these players also missed a considerable amount of guilt edged chances too.

Now consider Gray, most of his games if not all of them at Everton have been with no overlapping full backs to create space for him, he has had no midfielders really putting chances on a plate for him. Practically all his goals have been out of nothing type goals that he has had to do on his own.

Let's say Harrison signed for Everton and we continue to play the same way, do you think he will continue to put up the numbers he did at Leeds without an overlapping full back dragging defenders out of position? I absolutely don't think he would whatsoever.

I think we would see a player who would get frustrated with the lack of chances he's getting and would miss more of the few chances he would get than score them.

Now can you come up with a fact based response to counter my opinion?

In todays society i find that everyone just fails to look at anything with context. I'm surprised Gray is even as close as that in the last 2 seasons.

The reason being is Everton and Leeds had 2 completely different styles of play. Leeds bomb on their full backs at any given opportunity leaving their attacking players with a multiple variety of opportunities to score from, this is the exact reason why championship standard type of players like Bamford and Harrison were getting the kind of numbers they were getting. And both of these players also missed a considerable amount of guilt edged chances too.

Now consider Gray, most of his games if not all of them at Everton have been with no overlapping full backs to create space for him, he has had no midfielders really putting chances on a plate for him. Practically all his goals have been out of nothing type goals that he has had to do on his own.

Let's say Harrison signed for Everton and we continue to play the same way, do you think he will continue to put up the numbers he did at Leeds without an overlapping full back dragging defenders out of position? I absolutely don't think he would whatsoever.

I think we would see a player who would get frustrated with the lack of chances he's getting and would miss more of the few chances he would get than score them.

McNeil got the same last season that he’d got in 4 yrs at Burnley.

Not sure on Harrison in terms of penalties or taking set pieces. But gray got 7 in the league in 2yrs and 2 pens and he hardly got an assist from open play 1 or 2 at best.

Well, the counter to that is Harrison may have had more chances(speculative without stats to back that up), but he also had 13 goals and 8 assists in 5400 minutes of league play, and then 8 goals and 8 assists the season before, and 6 goals 8 assists the season before. Gray has never had a season that productive, ever.

Gray had 9 goals and 5 assists in 4900 minutes, so one G/A per 350 minutes, compared to per 250 minutes with Harrison. Gray has had 1 season with more than 5 league goals, 9 years ago. Harrison has greatly outproduced Gray over his career, with 21 goals and 16 assists over the past 3 seasons. Gray has 20 goals and 17 assists in his entire 7 seasons post-championship. So then, whos more likely to produce, and whos more likely to regress to mean?

Well, the counter to that is Harrison may have had more chances(speculative without stats to back that up), but he also had 13 goals and 8 assists in 5400 minutes of league play, and then 8 goals and 8 assists the season before, and 6 goals 8 assists the season before. Gray has never had a season that productive, ever.

Gray had 9 goals and 5 assists in 4900 minutes, so one G/A per 350 minutes, compared to per 250 minutes with Harrison. Gray has had 1 season with more than 5 league goals, 9 years ago. Harrison has greatly outproduced Gray over his career, with 21 goals and 16 assists over the past 3 seasons. Gray has 20 goals and 17 assists in his entire 7 seasons post-championship. So then, whos more likely to produce, and whos more likely to regress to mean?

Let's sign Bamford too and Rodrigo as they all have good stats. But hang on they got relegated. But why?

Oh yeah because they just ditched the idea of defending and played gung ho every game. That's why their players scored so many

I remember when liverpool bought mane for roughly the same price we got bolashie for

Got slated questioning

Which one had the resale value.....

Club is knackered

Can count on one hand players with resale value now

They paid about 20m more like, but he proved to be worth it.

Let's sign Bamford too and Rodrigo as they all have good stats. But hang on they got relegated. But why?

Oh yeah because they just ditched the idea of defending and played gung ho every game. That's why their players scored so many
So much for "Now can you come up with a fact based response to counter my opinion?".

As everyone knows the reason Leeds gave up so much was because they had horrific individual defenders, and the worst keeper in the league. And WE were almost relegated, with Gray being a backup down the stretch while we picked up points, benched for 3 of our last 5 wins.

How many points do you think Gray's 2 goals and 1 assist from play got us? How many points did Grays goals and assists contribute to the team?

So much for "Now can you come up with a fact based response to counter my opinion?".

As everyone knows the reason Leeds gave up so much was because they had horrific individual defenders, and the worst keeper in the league. And WE were almost relegated, with Gray being a backup down the stretch while we picked up points, benched for 3 of our last 5 wins.

How many points do you think Gray's 2 goals and 1 assist from play got us? How many points did Grays goals and assists contribute to the team?

Grays style and work rate (or lack of) will not fit in with Dyche I do not dispute that. But the point I'm making is that all Leeds players had good attacking stats which were skewed by their very unorthodox attacking play style. I've seen Harrison miss so many chances in the last few seasons. I think he's quite an average player and so is Gray by all accounts.

But I wouldn't see it as a fair argument to base how good each one is on the stats they have performed in two completely polar playing styles.

I personally think if Harrison was good enough to improve us then he would have significantly better stats having played in that style than he does have. He's very wasteful in front of goal and I imagine If he played for us under Dyche fans would get very frustrated with him missing a lot of chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back