Dixie Dean

Status
Not open for further replies.
maybe we could organise a petition to get media and pundits to stop using 1992 as their starting point and go back to when it really began in 1882.
Nice post @StevenSeagull.
Certainly I, and I'm sure the majority on here, share your frustration at the medias Premier League love fest.
People could be forgiven for believing that football didn't exist before 1992 given the way it's reported.
Really not sure that a petition, or any other form of protest will ever change that unfortunately, although I would certainly put my name to it.
Stay around for a while, we have quite a few supporters of other teams who are members of the forum (You might want to watch out for @Alan Whittle though) lol

Nice post @StevenSeagull.
Certainly I, and I'm sure the majority on here, share your frustration at the medias Premier League love fest.
People could be forgiven for believing that football didn't exist before 1992 given the way it's reported.
Really not sure that a petition, or any other form of protest will ever change that unfortunately, although I would certainly put my name to it.
Stay around for a while, we have quite a few supporters of other teams who are members of the forum (You might want to watch out for @Alan Whittle though) lol
:dodgy: Err....welcome.

Great post though.;)
“You love that Crystal Palace more than me..”
“ I love Brighton more than you!”

Hey Potter. Can you hear that trap door creaking?

After his leg was amputated, Dixie was accompanied to a prosthetics clinic by Joe Mercer. Mercer said that Dixie looked around the waiting room at the others there with missing limbs and said "Aye aye, I see Tommy Smith was in 'ere" !! lol
By all accounts Dixie would have broken 'the Anfield Iron' in two. That feller wouldn't have come near him...other than to racially abuse him.

Brighton fan in peace. Hope you don't mind me posting on here. I've had a bee in my bonnet the last few days about Son & Kane partnership being described as the most successful striker partnership in English football. Football started in 1882 and I wish English football would acknowledge that. The most successful partnership ever were your boys: Alec Troup, Dixie Dean, Edward Critchley. 76 league goals in 27/28. I posted as much on social media and I was chuffed to bits to get a reply from Dixie Dean's grand-daughter, Melanie Prentice, who shares my frustration at the lack of respect paid to her Grandad's amazing achievement. Melanie's also posted a photo of what I presume is an official record of his career too. Here's the post from our conversation.

I reckon there's a lot of fans that feel the same way (Preston's Tom Finney, Blackpool's Mortensen, Wolves with Billy Wright etc) and maybe we could organise a petition to get media and pundits to stop using 1992 as their starting point and go back to when it really began in 1882. And if you think I'm making a mountain out of a molehill, please say and I'll try to stop getting wound up by it! Cheers.

Dixie didn’t start off very well at Tranmere did he, in his first season two games and no goals!!!

I've been trying to think which pre - war players I can remember from Man Utd and Libberpewl. Between the 2 of them, I can think of only one player: Elisher Scott the Reds' GK - and that's only because he and Dixie had such a famous relationship (the story about Bill meeting Scott on the street coming the other way. Dixie pretended to head an imaginary ball and Scott automatically jumped in the gutter to 'save' it.

T V and its exposure of the modern game is what has blanketed the exploits of former years.

Well said Dave, can I mention again Tommy Lawton and Ted Sagar?
Add the name of the prince of centre half’s T G Jones, welsh international of the thirties, then lost a good period of his career to the Second World War, before resuming after the war, a pure footballing defender, there are many more, I’ll add two more Bobby Collins and a player most Evertonians revere Neville Southall.

I've been trying to think which pre - war players I can remember from Man Utd and Libberpewl. Between the 2 of them, I can think of only one player: Elisher Scott the Reds' GK - and that's only because he and Dixie had such a famous relationship (the story about Bill meeting Scott on the street coming the other way. Dixie pretended to head an imaginary ball and Scott automatically jumped in the gutter to 'save' it.

T V and its exposure of the modern game is what has blanketed the exploits of former years.

By heck, long time since I read that story, mi Da always used to talk of it.

In my mind Ball is the greatest English midfielder of all time, and Dean is the greatest forward. Yet you’d think one was an ex Arsenal bit part player and the other was a mythical comic book legend going ok today’s media. Ball orchestrated the World Cup final ffs get most people don’t know he even played.

Meanwhile we get inundated with never ending stories of how good Duncan Edwards was, George Best, Bobby Charlton, Bobby Moore Kenny Dalglish. Yeah they’re all great players but why aren’t Ball and Dean spoken about in that company? Because their names don’t attract a baying mob of Liverpool or United fans to click away.

.... All whilst he was 21 yrs old... Magnificent player, magnificent achievement.

How this fella isn't lauded more is beyond me.

He was on the telly this Saturday playing for Southampton, mesmerising player, vastly, vastly underrated

My Father was always talking of the games he had been at watching "Dixie" but also talked of many other players like Sagar. He was there for the games in the record breaking season for goals.

Also mentioned Tommy Lawton who was also a great CF.
My grandfather reckoned Dixie was a far better no 9 plus. far more loyal to us Arsenal offered us a fortune for Dixie he snubbed them for us .....as they turned him down him when he was at Tranmere Rovers ........

In my mind Ball is the greatest English midfielder of all time, and Dean is the greatest forward. Yet you’d think one was an ex Arsenal bit part player and the other was a mythical comic book legend going ok today’s media. Ball orchestrated the World Cup final ffs get most people don’t know he even played.

Meanwhile we get inundated with never ending stories of how good Duncan Edwards was, George Best, Bobby Charlton, Bobby Moore Kenny Dalglish. Yeah they’re all great players but why aren’t Ball and Dean spoken about in that company? Because their names don’t attract a baying mob of Liverpool or United fans to click away.
I agree with most but Dalglish was the best player the reds ever had and I saw him many times ,he should be mentioned with the best .
Many people forget that Dixie's record was nearly beaten by Terry Paine ,he got 59 ,we have to be fair ,if we are who we are .
I have seen Everton fans hailed as the most knowledgeable ,if that is true a shout for both Paine and the other fella .
I concur Bally was overlooked in the world cup final aftermath but the one who matters is Harry who signed the best player I have ever seen in an Everton shirt the one and only Alan Ball .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back