Do these bizarre Everton signings highlight a David Moyes weakness?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharpys top lip

Player Valuation: £60m
Got this from sportingo.........think they have a cheek having a go at moyes.

http://www.sportingo.com/football/do_these_bizarre_everton_signings/1001,6898

Mikel Arteta, Tim Cahill, Tim Howard and Joleon Lescott were inspired buys - but some of the Goodison boss's purchases are now ready-made for a Where Are They Now? series.
'The one thing that niggles at me are some of his [Moyes] less-than-successful signings' I love David Moyes. His moniker “The Moyesiah” is fully deserved. He is a ginger alchemist who pulled Everton’s socks up almost single-handedly. Having said that, there is a dark side to Moyes’ brilliance, the one thing that niggles at me are some of his less-than-successful signings.

Whilst the Moyes purchases of Mikel Arteta, Tim Cahill, Tim Howard and Joleon Lescott are obviously distilled managerial genius, and all of them, if sold, will be exchanged for a huge profit, he has also taken a punt on some bizarre and esoteric signings that are more out of left field than a cryptic Pink Floyd album. Let's look at them:

Rodrigo: I watched in queasy bafflement as my sister swooned after this mini Tom Cruise lookalike in the car parks at the Park End. And when I saw him play, his only contribution of note was to vigorously shield the ball and usher it 30 yards back into the Everton half, then stop abruptly and crumple in a heap.

Where is he now? Feted by none other than Jairzinho as being better than Rivaldo, this potential star sank without a trace after succumbing to a knee injury.

Anderson da Silva: Everton jumped several hurdles to bag Brazilian midfielder Anderson; purchasing commercial and federative rights and then shipping him on loan to Spanish side Málaga to get round the fact that he didn’t have an EU passport (something we didn’t know about until we’d signed him). Alarm bells should have been ringing after he couldn’t even get a game for Málaga, who by that point were scraping the bottom of the Spanish second division.

Where is he now? Barnsley. Anderson was back with Everton this summer but Moyes, clearly not rating him at all, loaned him to Barnsley and eventually sold him just before the close of the January 2008 transfer window.

Per Krøldrup: Acclaimed in The Times as one the worst signing of all time in the Premier League. A tad harsh, but rumour has it that his utter inability to head a ball (rumours were rife that he even had a phobia of heading) turned Moyes off him as soon as the Dane trained with Everton.

Where is he now? Fiorentina.

Andy van der Meyde: The mother and father of all avante garde Moyes signings, someone who will surely take his spot in the pantheon of comically and chronically bad players - Vinny Samways , Earl Barrett, Mikel Madar, Brett Angell and Marc Hottiger among others. Everton's (rumoured) alcoholic, long-haired Dutchman is prone to very occasional bouts of fitness, with a garrulous mouth and a daughter named Purple. And yet the most bizarre thing about him is Moyes’ apparent acceptance and rehabilitation of "Shandy" Andy , looking trim and shaven-headed at Everton's training sessions in St Andrews during the summer.

Moyes has a history of not dealing well with wingers, recalcitrants, or back chat – and the fact that Van der Meyde has displayed ALL of these traits but is still here surely points to a player that Moyes has inexplicable faith in. Andy's right foot is apparently so strong that some say he needs to be played on the left, such is the temptation to be selfish and over-elaborate when playing on the right wing. He is a player with such raw atavistic skill and brio that he has played for Ajax and Inter Milan and was tipped for glory.

On the other hand, he is a player surrounded by a miasma of ruinous rumours and painful truths; a dog napped pooch, stolen cars, a burgled house, embarrassing drunken episodes, is having a full-blown love affair with the treatment table and when he managed to claw his way back to fitness last season was sent off for a wild elbow in the Merseyside derby (of all games).

All these negative aspects of the player are the reason he is at Everton and not still at Inter Milan; all the positive aspects (the dull glimmer of his potential) are the reason he is still at Everton and not on the scrapheap. Van der Meyde is a man who at his VERY best plays like Pink Floyd's first album, the Piper at the Gates of Dawn, randomly meandering and occasionally stumbling over its own genius.

Where is he now? On the dark side of the moon, Everton’s reserves.

What they forget is we never really lost any money on them, 2m on koldrup, 1.8 vdm in todays terms its not a lot.

Go an have a look what the evertonians have left in response, the ed of the piece has come back on to say sorry!!

Last edited:

I read the first few lines of the article earlier and I just knew its [Poor language removed] bullshit, what club doesnt make failed signings? (n)

Samway's was a funny old thing. Feted as a cultured playmaker in this country, he went to Spain and turned into a ferocious killer that got sent off every other week. No wonder Real thought Graveson would be the ideal anchor man for them.

10 points for 'miasma'

Andy van der Meyde: The mother and father of all avante garde Moyes signings, someone who will surely take his spot in the pantheon of comically and chronically bad players - Vinny Samways , Earl Barrett, Mikel Madar, Brett Angell and Marc Hottiger among others. Everton's (rumoured) alcoholic, long-haired Dutchman is prone to very occasional bouts of fitness, with a garrulous mouth and a daughter named Purple. And yet the most bizarre thing about him is Moyes’ apparent acceptance and rehabilitation of "Shandy" Andy , looking trim and shaven-headed at Everton's training sessions in St Andrews during the summer.

the underlined should be considered child abuse. what a flake.

Jeez there is no pleasing this guy is there? Compare Moyes to what other managers have done with the amt of money they were given. Did anyone noticed what Laurie Sanchez got when he was given 20M? Would you trade Moyes signings for Roy Keanes? McClaren? Souness? Keegan? Southgate? Curbs? The only managers who compare are ONeill and Hughes.

I'm sick of hearing this Kroldrup can't head a ball BS I've seen plenty of Serie A matches and watched him with my own eyes head the ball into the back of the net and scored for fiorentina. Maybe he only uses his head as a last resort or something maybe he couldn't generate enough power into them. But I've seen him score goals with his head.

Last edited:
Kroldrup is a weird transfer I agree with that, What I think it was with Kroldrup is we had to pay x amount if he had Y amount of games... I think his transfer was secured against the champions league money which we didn't recieve so moyes thought it would be best to not play him and ship him out at the first chance to recoup the fee. Evertonians would then assume he's crocked, not worth it and we'd be better off on the balance sheets.

I really believe if Kroldrup was given the chance he would've made a name for himself here he's one of the top defenders in Serie A.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back