Do we like Baines in Mid Field?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milk

Udderly delicious
Spent most of the Newcastle game watching to see how Leighton Baines played in mid field seeing as how RM has bigged him up as a Philip Lahm alike.

Not a bad effort for a first outing IMO and was interested to see him popping up at centre forward for a bit too.
Thing is, is Garbutt ready to take on the left back position now & let Baines learn the mid field role or not?

No, thought he was largely ineffective for long periods of the game. Don't get me wrong, there was no shortage of willingness on his behalf, but he just didn't offer anything different to what we've already got and in my opinion he never looked comfortable there. Like I say, that's just my opinion.

No it's an awful idea moving one of our best players out of position into a place he's never played before and he looked like a fish out of water. We've got more than enough cover in that area of the pitch to never need do it again and considering he looked lost against a fairly weak Newcastle midfield I hope we never see it again.

giphy-1-1418742801.gif

No it's an awful idea moving one of our best players out of position into a place he's never played before and he looked like a fish out of water. We've got more than enough cover in that area of the pitch to never need do it again and considering he looked lost against a fairly weak Newcastle midfield I hope we never see it again.

One of our best players on reputation, but his form is terrible of late. He's been below par for months, ultra negative in the attacking sense and liable to a few errors defensively now. Pushing him further forward for me seems like a desperate attempt by Martinez, there is no way on earth Leighton Baines is a left midfielder. I completely agree, I don't want to see it again. If they were to play together him and Garbutt, I'd like to see it reversed and see what happens...

One of our best players on reputation, but his form is terrible of late. He's been below par for months, ultra negative in the attacking sense and liable to a few errors defensively now. Pushing him further forward for me seems like a desperate attempt by Martinez, there is no way on earth Leighton Baines is a left midfielder. I completely agree, I don't want to see it again. If they were to play together him and Garbutt, I'd like to see it reversed and see what happens...
ASSISTS
13 - Cesc Fabregas
8 - Gylfi Sigurdsson
7 - Leighton Baines, Dusan Tadic
6 - Alexis Sanchez, Stewart Downing, Angel di Maria, Jesus Navas

Those numbers are great for most wingers let alone a fullback who has been "below par for months and ultra negative in an attacking sense". He has 3 more assists in the Europa as well.

Personally don't want to see either garbutt or Baines in midfield, perhaps Oviedo on the wing at a push.

Maybe if it was in a more structured and settled side he'd be a bit better but with eto'o playing on the left and drifting inside, baines looked a little lost between roles. He showed good energy and pressing though, and played a lovely through ball

Status
Not open for further replies.