Status
Not open for further replies.
20220712_102401.webp

As far as I can recall they only had one shop on Walton Road. Always packed
Whatever happened to them?
Ben Sherman checked shirt
Fleming jeans
Bovver boots
The guy opposite T J Hughes top of London road - in those days known as the Jew shop as everything brand wise were cheaper he sold most things in men's fashion - I got a great two tone Jackets & the smartest pair of blue Parallels off him plus a smart pair of brogues shoes plus a Ben Sherman shirt - it was only an average smallish shop, but always crowded in there @JimmyJeffers - you had to push him back as he chose his handbags lol

The guy opposite T J Hughes top of London road - in those days known as the Jew shop as everything brand wise were cheaper he sold most things in men's fashion - I got a great two tone Jackets & the smartest pair of blue Parallels off him plus a smart pair of brogues shoes plus a Ben Sherman shirt - it was only an average smallish shop, but always crowded in there @JimmyJeffers - you had to push him back as he chose his handbags lol
Warning. This post contains content that reflects the standards, attitudes and language of its time that some readers may find offensive ?

Thats what the shop was known as it was OK in those days ......a well known name - never ever looked to what the name above the shop was TBH .....

It wasn't known as the Jew Shop because it was cheap - did people even back then still think those kind anti-semitic tropes were true? - it was because it was run by an old Jewish couple. Back in the 70s, and to a great extent now, Liverpool was a very mono-cultural place, so anyone who wasn't white English/Irish stood out a mile. By the way, it actually was offensive to Jews back then as well, a bit like calling something a [Poor language removed] Shop or going to get a Chinkie take away.

It wasn't known as the Jew Shop because it was cheap - did people even back then still think those kind anti-semitic tropes were true? - it was because it was run by an old Jewish couple. Back in the 70s, and to a great extent now, Liverpool was a very mono-cultural place, so anyone who wasn't white English/Irish stood out a mile. By the way, it actually was offensive to Jews back then as well, a bit like calling something a [Poor language removed] Shop or going to get a Chinkie take away.
Look I was a teenager my mates advised me to go to that shop - thats what the nickname was - no racial undertones - i gave my business there many times yes you are right it was run by an old couple - not a PC world back then, just a nickname - so that what it was known as I dont think if I think back it had a name over the small shop ..... it certainly was a very popular friendly shop with loads of good fashion gear in it in those times .... it did roaring business at great prices ....

Look I was a teenager my mates advised me to go to that shop - thats what the nickname was - no racial undertones - i gave my business there many times yes you are right it was run by an old couple - not a PC world back then - so that what it was known as I dont think if I think back it had a name over the small shop ..... it certainly was a very popular friendly shop with loads of good fashion gear in it in those times .... it did roaring business at great prices ....
I don't get it mate - how can there be no racial undertones to calling a place run by an old Jewish couple "The Jew Shop"?

I don't get it mate - how can there be no racial undertones to calling a place run by an old Jewish couple "The Jew Shop"?
OMG - it was the 1970s mate - thats what it was known as by everyone, OK what was its real name ?
I just went in there for bargains, OK .... not a race issue -it would be today definitely ..... I never even in those days thought wahat a great shop run by friendly people ok ....

As far as I can recall they only had one shop on Walton Road. Always packed
Whatever happened to them?
Ben Sherman checked shirt
Fleming jeans
Bovver boots
We had a place in Smethwick called Nelson House, Ben Sherman shirts (remember trying to iron that pleat downn the back), sta press trousers, Fred Perry polo shirts, the crombie with the satin handkerchief sticking out pocket, thought we were the bee's knees ?

Mate, were you around then ? In those days, Ian St John was given a banana as the blues fans christened him a monkey before the game our keeper was given a handbag as the other fans from over the park called him Mae West a famous actress of the time it happened on the pitch, both players took it in good fun - not pc nowadays - getting back to DCL he can wear what he wants imo - & you go on a rant swearing at me in a post I notice .....
Give it a rest OK - I do not have a racist bone in my body OK - it was an era where no offence would be taken not back then as the nickname was given fondly - if I had a racist tone do you think I would have shopped there ?

I notice you have not given me the name of the shop .....

It's taken a weird turn in here, I think I preferred it when everyone was losing their minds about DCLs wardrobe!
Same thing is it not fans taking the P out of what these to decide to wear - posters on here forget what we wore back in our teenage days .... I dont care what players wear what as long as they perform on the pitch in their match day kit .....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back