Confirmed Signing Dwight McNeil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any suggestions on fee? Only thing I'm hoping for is there was some ultra-low fee clause if relegated. I'll actually get mad if we pay any real money for him.

The silver lining here would be he's a decent technical player who has never played in a team that passes the ball or tries to attack so he might be able to go up a level in a team that does that.

But we don't do that. So what's the point?

He's another utlity player. Can play both flanks like Vinagre. If Gueye returns he's another one who can get up the pitch or sit as a holding M/F.

The David Moyes transfer strategy book has been dusted down and reopened.
He had more funds - we are restricted after blowing 1/2 a billion on over the hill players = the Board

Not really. Means we can be more flexible tactically if we need it and if we have injury pile ups again we have players that can cover and mean we don't have to change our shape much.
We don't need to be flexible until we can actually play one way half decent

McNeil is a 4-4-2 player. A formation we don’t play. Yes he could play LWB but if we sign Vinagre we have 2 (or 3) of them anyway.

He's another utlity player. Can play both flanks like Vinagre. If Gueye returns he's another one who can get up the pitch or sit as a holding M/F.

The David Moyes transfer strategy book has been dusted down and reopened.
At this point comparing what we're doing to Moyes is insulting to a far superior manager

The silver lining here would be he's a decent technical player who has never played in a team that passes the ball or tries to attack so he might be able to go up a level in a team that does that.

But we don't do that. So what's the point?

I guess because we need to sign technical players to be able to play that way, but yeah let us give up signing players who can play a more effective attacking style of football because we haven't played an effective style of attacking football for a while.

Wonder if we have a couple of tasty loans lined up. Otherwise I just can't get behind spending up to 20m (we'll see what the add-ons are) on him. That seems to be the bulk of our budget and McNeil is very much just a role player. Good crossing is the one thing he adds that we are lacking right now, but I don't see an obvious fit for him in Lampard's system unless the plan is to move him into a RW/RAM role.

We don't need to be flexible until we can actually play one way half decent

We tried playing nice football last year with Lampard and couldn't. We had to change formations and ways of playing multiple times. This signing covers Lampard but also post-Lampard.

Status
Not open for further replies.