2023/24 Dwight McNeil

Great interview with Dyche where he said "I had to have a go at him at half time because defensively he didn't concentrate a couple of times".

That's where we're at atm, more concerned with our wingers defending than going up the other end and causing issues to the opposition full backs.

….it shouldn’t be a matter of either/or, though. As you said earlier, McNeil scored a terrific goal but he was so wasteful in possession. I don’t think he’s ever going to be a winger whose main skill set is in the top third. He is what he is, we know our players by now.

Forest would’ve been chuffed with him not doing his defensive work as he wouldn’t offer great threat going the other way. Chuffed with his goal.

Last edited:
….it shouldn’t be a matter of either/or, though. As you said earlier, McNeil scored a terrific goal but he was so wasteful in possession. I don’t think he’s ever going to be a winger whose main skill set is in the top third. He is what he is, we know our players by now.

Forest would’ve been chuffed with him not doing his defensive work as he wouldn’t offer great threat going the other way. Chuffed with his goal.

I still think one of his best games was away at Leeds a couple of years ago (think it was a 2-1 win for us or maybe 2-2)

Going forward, its like he's just so scared to carry the ball in possession that he constantly rushes his pass with very little thought behind it other than to get rid.

Hopefully now he's got a goal under his belt as uts been a very long time, he can grab another couple before the seasons out and get to around 5 goals for the season.

We don’t play with wingers … sad but true

….maybe because we don’t have conventional and effective wide players. We don’t even have effective full backs, I think somebody posted Mykolenko is still waiting for his first assist, amazing if true.
I think it is Dyche tactics not capability myself Eggs. I think he has a defensive solidity first mantra that he won’t move from. Wingers and fullbacks should be getting assists but I honestly do not think Dyche cares one jot !!

His two goals v Forest this season may well be the difference for us , has it in his locker to do that more regularly, always seems hurried even when in space , reminds me of bilyaletdinov, frustrates for long periods but then smashes in a worldie

….maybe because we don’t have conventional and effective wide players. We don’t even have effective full backs, I think somebody posted Mykolenko is still waiting for his first assist, amazing if true.
I wouldn't expect him to get that many tbh as he is more of a defensive FB which is fine if the the person on the other side is more attacking (which for us it's not) We do need a proper ball carrying RB who can support the attack.