2023/24 Dwight McNeil

Big lad is he ?
IMG_7484.jpeg

The club felt the need to edit the image when they posted it on their socials.

One thing I've always liked about Dwight, he dosen't waste time taking endless touches. He generally has a touch to get the ball out of his feet and then he shoots.

With that approach he's always good for 5-6 goals a season if he stays fit.

One of my pet peeves of the modern game that players are seemingly now coached not to show on sight from edge of the box and will just pass it around sideways to try to create a higher percentage chance. And so the crowd gets really frustrated when the move then breaks down.

Certainly not the weakest link in the team. I hate how he is so one footed and not a long term solution but does a job at the moment.

In a better team he's a really good squad player. Someone to come in every three games for this type of game. Starting every single weak and like most of the players his limitations will come to the fore before too long.

He reminds me of Bilyaletdinov in the Moyes era. Would score a nice goal every now and then but generally didn't live up to expectations. Didn't matter too much though as Pienaar and Osman were the first choices in that time.

On the BBC website page
All 17 of Dwight mcneils prem lge goals have been scored with is left foot - only stuart Pearce has scored more
Left footed goals 20

….maybe because we don’t have conventional and effective wide players. We don’t even have effective full backs, I think somebody posted Mykolenko is still waiting for his first assist, amazing if true.
Its something you hint at a bit, when players develop an instinctive trust for other players. Imagine playing on the same side as Myko, you know you have to give him the ball carefully and when you do you are probably thinking about what defensive position to take when he loses it.